86' 505 GL Turbo sedan

nick@nite

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The Passat right rear caliper seized up on friday night, while going around a corner went sideways and almost dumped it... So I parked that wheel doesn't even turn while driving... I dug out the 505 out of the snowpile @ my house and put the Eurolights in on Saturday with 100w/80 H4's, working on fixing somewhere is a bad ground on the passenger side light...

Its good to know where that car went, and that it has a good home.

I have raced up Duryea, in 2005 in a Spec Miata. I know, please don't hold it against me, it was a free ride! Technically, I ran the Pagoda Hillclimb, which ends at the hairpin left just before coming to the Pagoda. 4.0 miles I think it is.

Same year that Audi was there racing. Serious car.

That was a seriously fun event, one that I want to do again some day! It was nice to check it off my list of racing stuff I've done.

Bryan

• 6 months later...

Yeah I stole the set off ebay for $107 shipped... I had a max bid for $250 and only one other was bidding.... My father use to sell the sets for around $300 when they were still available.... We haven't seen a full NOS set in years for sure.... I have like a half set here now but I can't wait to get these! Great find for sure... Also had a $7100 bid on a 88' MINT Red Turbo wagon in Cali with 60K on it but we stopped and it went up to $7350 and ended also would have flown out to get it and drive it back so it would have been atleast another G just in travel expenises... :)

15c.jpg

Mouldings are on, overall happy with them considering how old they are. Only like one side had a couple of the corners had dried up alittle. I put some silicone on the edges, where they were dry. I had to scrape the label sticker off. They were baked right through the plastic and were caked onto the stainless. My thumb nails really were hurting last night... It was about an hour total scratching, or ten minutes a panel with the bug remover stuff, though well worth the effort!

Will get a good quality pic soon, this refurbed in China, insurance camera phones really suxs a BIG FAT one, all my old chargers won't charge it(5 of them) unless plugged in for about 2 days....

Here are some pic's, she is a bit drity after the 400 mile round trip to Maine and back this weekend. Drive was great, on the way back had some fun with a new M3 vert and X5 with a 4.4 from Quebec traveling together. We were doing about 80 to 100MPH for about 45 minutes. Everyone def had eyes on her everywhere I went this weekend.... Big ugly stock muffler is coming off soon, internals fell apart inside the other day it rattles alittle bit. Soon my old speaker system setup from my 89' 10" Lanzar and 6.5 in rear and I'm going to get nice stock sized specker for the fronts. Though the weather wasn't good skydiving weather this weekend mainly due to high winds until Monday....

Picture136.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Picture138.jpg

Picture140.jpg

• 5 months later...

Ice time trials this weekend!

My DD 505 I put studded Nokian tires on the later mag rims, Just got to throw alittle weight in the trunk and I'll be good to go!

My father is taking an 03' WRX wagon with some snows on that we have for sale.

I recommend weight in the rear seat footwells if you can manage that.

Gives you the traction on the rear wheels that you want, but doesn't give you the pendulum effect with all that weight hanging out past the rear wheels when it starts sliding.

Hell - even having someone sitting back there works pretty good, but as is even with no additional weight used, the 50/50 weight balance is REALLY nice on loose surfaces.

Rabin

Dear god man - that will make the car understeer like crazy. I find the 505 Turbo really well balanced, but low speed turning the car does tend to plow on really slick ice, so you need to get it rotating prior to the corner and use the throttle to get around.

What size tires are you running? You need to run as skinny as possible, with studs of course. Difference between my street 195-65-15's and the 175-65-14's I used to run on Black hazzard is huge. WAY more traction with the skinnier tires.

Rabin

just wanted to say - beautiful car! love the lower moldings. its not something i dug back in the day (when it was in vogue), but man, i like 80s accessories on an 80s car.

Running 195/65

Someone suggested taking the rear sway off saying you want the rear loosey goosey...

Right now I haven't felt very well all week, I haven't even finished sanding the RC. Everyone would rather send me home though I haven't...