Getting ready to race #45 for the first time

nick@nite

We raced @ Mt. Philo for the final race of the season... Weather was not so great. The Nor-eastern front came in on Thursday night rained a few inches, mountains have snow now, and stayed until Saturday night. Sunday did look promising though it didn't really turn out the way they predicted. My father and I had no desire to go run in the rain on Sat. only brought the car over to the hill to prep it for Sun morning because the Philo is only a 940 FT mt. and is only 25 minutes away from my house. When I showed up and unloaded the 505 and got through the gate to get to the top came across the retrieval of fishing out a freshly new put together Subie RS that locked up the brakes before the boulders @ turn 4, fishtailed slid off the road and went down a 100 foot bank. I have also not made the turn though it was in my Rabbit but tipped it on it's side on the median of the two roads, 2 years ago...

Later on I got stuck in the mud during, not bad though I did rev the engine to 4K and then I just had to reverse and go and when I did the dash went up in smoke, I jumped out of the car and shut it down... It was fine after though I haven't bothered looking since then because it hasn't done it again..

Sunday we got there and everything was still frosted...Oh yeah and the exhuast is cracked right @ the manifold since Ascutney, which I had to drive the racecar home when the trucks fuel pumps connector housing had a bad wire that got hot...

Anyway It's cold and windy and the prediction was high 50's and mostly sun until the afternoon... I wait for the 2nd run group to do the fam run and I had my slicks on and came to the boulder turn and I turned the wheel only @ 5 MPH to make the turn and the car went straight! There was no response in the tire and I tapped a tree dead center on the hood, which left a small dent.

I had no interest in running the hill again, So I drove back to the shop and took the rims and tires off my DD and aswell grab a new set of Victoracers for my father's STI. I got back to the hill and another Subie went off @ the Boulder turn and wrecked pretty good...

Joey rolled the skeletor Subie but not bad. A very expeirenced driver with a mint 79' Camaro with original Black paint went off scraped the right side of the car.

I put my tires on and took 2 spring off the turbo so I had 12 PSI and I did 3 runs and I didn't push it at all, I was 3rd from last. I didn't care, I had no desire to race the Pug and it was my first time in the Pug @ Philo, Last year weather was bad and record low temps so I raced in my rabbit, which the person that I sold my rabbit to won 1st in class by a second to a 170WHP 16 Valve MKII GTI. I must say I missed my Rabbit for this event.

Now the season is over, the cars in one piece and it needs paint exhaust needs fixing and suspension need #45 in the car. I think I'm just going to buy stock sized Aries pistons instead of the machining the crank and boring the block and buying SAAB rods and bearings. Which I think would be about the same $ than to stick in a 2.1L, 92.5mm Volvo piston, as to buying just performance pistons

1st Subie

philo1.jpg

2 Subie

philo2.jpg

3 Subie

philo3.jpg

Me and I forgot the gopro though it wouldn't have been any good footage

PHILO.jpg

Joey's crash video

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLY crap! How the hell does one "lose" something like that!

Is it going on the race car or is it for sale? It'd be interesting to see how much that would be to be recreated... Looks cool as hell - but likely not the most efficient design.

Rabin

So is there any history with that manifold? Was it used in any particular race or anything? Or did it come from Peugeot skunk works deep in the heart of France?

Make something up if it's history is too boring... :)

It'd be cool to see what kinds of gains were to output with just that single modification to see what the gains were, or how it affected spool.

I'm also guessing it comes / used with a special turbo since that sucker is set up for an external wastegate. Any details on the turbo it used?

Rabin

Off the top of my head I know with this manifold is from part of John Woodner's and he tried the CIS danielson setup. I know they used this kinetic turbo (now seized), the lag was horrible and couldn't get the system dialed in and he had tons of time dialing it in. Doesn't mean oldskool with newskool can't work. I would think VEMS could dial it in alot easier than trying to make an ancient modified CIS turbo system work

1208101425a.jpg

It'd be cool to see what could be done power wise with modern turbo technology bolted to that manifold, and a nice stand alone ECU running everything, and a nice fresh engine build.

Manifold looks beautifully built - but I can't see any bracing for holding the turbo... If there is - where does it bolt too?

The Turbo you're holding also looks gigantic - any chance you can type out the numbers on it? I'm curious what the specs are on it.

Rabin

There she is, needs a paint job for sure, we'll make the body look like #45 for sure with the old Peugeot teardrop.

Read your recent posts with interest, went back and reviewed the thread. When I saw the above quote, at first I drew a blank on what you meant by "Peugeot teardrop." I googled the term and got this:

post-773-1291847887.jpg

But I thought about it some more, and I think you mean this, yes? :)

post-773-1291847840.jpg

Andre

2.76 it has marked on it on the inlet diam. for a size of the housing, along with 1.0030/2531, 5223101509 I think is the PN# of the housing. On the KKK stamp is 3LDZ-289A11.1 along with two others, it's tipical kinetic no real part # to reference of the real make name...

Read your recent posts with interest, went back and reviewed the thread. When I saw the above quote, at first I drew a blank on what you meant by "Peugeot teardrop." I googled the term and got this:

post-773-1291847887.jpg

But I thought about it some more, and I think you mean this, yes? :)

post-773-1291847840.jpg

Andre

Yeah the second thought, getting paint and decals like both old car. #45 chassis is still here stripped with no life makes my father very sad to let it go. :) The only reason he saying to keep it is for the pics for the decals, but I told him everything is available online for pics....

Looks they must have built this kit WAY back in the day, as it looks like the basic turbo was from a 930 Turbo from like the late 70's... No idea what Kinetic could have done to it - but stock they were notorious for making the car a light switch. Total dog off boost, and then a sudden and massive spike in power. Made the 930 a terrible car to drive fast - but it's speed was legendary once on boost. Funny that a base Carrera 2 will blow the 930 into the weeds now.

I'm not really sure why Woodner would have bothered with this turbo on 2.2L engine when it was bad on a 3.0L flat six. By the time this beast built decent boost you'd be damn near redline. No wonder they couldn't tune the darn thing to work.

Bolt on a fairly stock T3 and that car should be crazy responsive and with the external waste gate it should build boost even sooner.

The information on the automobile

Manufacturer: Porsche

Vehicle: 911 Turbo

Engine: 930-50

Engine displacement: 3 litres

Power kW/hp: 191/260 at 5500 rpm

Fuel: gasoline

The information on the turbocharger

Turbo part no.: 5222 970 2802

Service turbo no.: 5222 970 2802

Reference no.: 930.123.012.00

Model spec.: 3LDZ-289A11.1

Turbo maker: 3K

Orientation α (compressor housing): 270°

Orientation β (turbine housing): 335°

Wastegate adjustment (pressure): bar

Wastegate adjustment (rod lift): mm.

Axial play min./max.: 0,18/0,25 mm.

Radial play min./max.: / mm.

Clearance min./max. (compressor end): 0,4/0,8 mm.

Clearance min./max. (turbine end): 0,43/1,15 mm.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Debating on a submit, though the entry fee $ and what I would have to get the cage maybe some more braces, and need a Hans neck restriant $ though I can rent one :) and would need different tires... Most of my $ is tied up with pistons & a turbo, though it would be an exciting and fun weekend. My father is doing a submit. He shouldn't have a problem getting in, since he's done the event couple of times now with old #45, and was in the top 5 until the dirt section in the 505 :blink: . Though he will be in his Subie of course and not the Pug :angry:

http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/competitor...ry-application/

Nick,

I will loan you my HANS for the event if you'd like to borrow it. You will need to purchase and install the anchors, but that is an easy job (I've done 3 sets already, 1 at a track).

As for tires, I have 4 BFG Rally tires on steel TRX rims. They have steel valve stems, 85% tread. Take offs from Buffum, not sure what car he ran on BFG's though. I can get more as well.....A friend took all he could way back when.

Do it. Once in a lifetime event. I spent a bunch renting a car, tires, HANS, etc on the 40th Anniversary of Formula Ford at Road America in July 2009. I did not think of the money then and don't now. Racing with 112 other FF crazies (started 84th, finished 42nd) was worth every penny and then some.

Doooooooooo IT.

If you want to discuss, 316 425 7519 (I'm in the Central time zone)

Bryan

Yeah - what Bryan said... :)

More to the point - what class would you run in? Would you even be able to run the bolt in cage with mods - or would it have to be welded in?

Not sure what the guys run for tires on the event, but you could likely get some used rally tires pretty cheap - and DEFINITELY worth running them. They're insane how much traction you can get on gravel with them...

Rabin

My cage is not a bolt-in cage, Ralph made it from scratch. So this would be a Hillclimb 2 or 3 category car. I was actually looking at the specs and all I really need is one more cross bar on driver side. Don Taylor is the Tech inspector, good friend and races the Hillclimb curcit with us and is the Tech Inspector in the Hillclimb curcit as well. The only thing where there would be a grey area is the weight factor of the car to the ID of the tubing is 1.5 not 1.75 which cars over 2,500 pounds should be 1.75 ID the car is about 2,600. I know that would be over looked due to Don knows how safe a Peugeot is due to the extra thick metal of the french chassis...

My father has done 3 Washington events and wrecked #45 @ the last Washington, took 3 hours to chainsaw the car out of the trees. Roger Siebenaler, a tech here that is a Formula Vee champion wrecked one of my fathers Mi's there as well, on his first hillclimb and was his last...

I'm pretty sure they'll have another Washington hillclimb after this event though when is a ?

Talking with the GF last night about doing the event. The date is when my GF and my father's wife have sort of planned to go to Cairo to go see my adopted sister and husband for 2 weeks... Here we go :) though my father rather go racing of course and meet them over there or just push back they're date.

I'm just going to send in the entry and wait and see if they even accept me...

Another factor also my father is selling out, he has a contract of a future purchase on the shops property to CVS Pharmacy. We don't know when we will be moving the business yet or as to where to either yet. Due to the town is jerking the company around and wasting a bunch of $ on the plans & permits....

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting to here back from JE Pistons, they called yesterday but haven't heard back yet with the final estimate. I have the quote from Arias and they said for pins, rings and pistons $155 a hole better than I thought. They were actually impressed and was enthused to see a Peugeot piston and how heavy the piston and rod was. They sent me a page of all the differnet rings because they don't have the exact 91.7mm ring closet is 92mm

So... What about getting custom rods as well? The stock ones are HEAVY sob's, so I'd think some nice aftermarket ones would be the way to go. Way lighter, and MUCH stronger too. :D Can't be that much more can it?

Also - what compression ratio, or dish depth are you going to spec out? Maybe make the dish a bit shallower and bump compression a tad?

Rabin

My father didn't think there is anything wrong with the strength of the rods and has never thrown a rod in a N9T. Weight is a different story, though I will ask how $ more for a set.

7.1 ratio I know is stock compression and I know that the engine we're rebuilding, the head has been shaved, I don't know how much but probably a couple thousands. Again I ask. I was waiting to hear back from JE

My father didn't think there is anything wrong with the strength of the rods and has never thrown a rod in a N9T. Weight is a different story, though I will ask how $ more for a set.

7.1 ratio I know is stock compression and I know that the engine we're rebuilding, the head has been shaved, I don't know how much but probably a couple thousands. Again I ask. I was waiting to hear back from JE

7:1 was the N9T I think, then they went to 7.5:1 with the N9TE and it made a noticable improvement in off boost power. I'm thinking of aiming for 8.5:1 or even 9:1 with my engine build...

Only thing when doing lighter rods and pistons is you'll also have to rebalance the crank... (Still should balance even with new pistons if they're lighter than OEM).

Rabin

That's cool! That's a real good price too.

Just out of curiousity, does Arias recommend a certain or minimum amount of clearance to minimise piston slap when cold? (Assuming this is a possible issue when running forged alloy pistons...)

Rabin

I'll double check. Been busy latley.

Price was about $60 better than JE, my father loved them in his X19 and aswell in his Renault when they were cheaper and quicker in the response... Getting 2 free t-shirt with our order aswell.

In other News.... The Doozers are coming soon... This SUXS!...... I'm not looking forward to the move......

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pb...D=2011101260319

• 4 weeks later...

CVS has they're demo permit but doesn't have all the permits yet. Also the owner next door to us has thrown a big stink about they're trucks coming in and unloadng so my father is going to halfs on putting a road in... The town wanted 100k but another property owner is splitting the cost due to he is sell one of his properties to Verizon. So now my father is paying 50K to put in the road...

What looks like our new site is about the same size maybe bigger. Was previously boat dealership, so has potential and has a showroom as well as a couple office spaces...

Though it's down on Shelburne RD, which is car dealership center. Also when Peugeot left the U.S. my father ended up moving the Mitsu dealership down there....

I don't want to be another dealership on Shelburne Rd but it looks like it's the only really place to keepa bout the same size without building....

Could be early as May if CVS has it they're way but also this can drag out for another 2 years...

One more day of sanding, I took this earlier but now she's almost there. Then alittle putty and down to a friends bodyshop

Felt good getting RC Motorsports off as well as Ralph's name off the side of the door... I taking the Peugeot Stainless trims off, due to making the car look more like #45 with the Firehawk and the Kendall decals on the bottoms of the doors...

0219111222a.jpg