ebay turbo

august

i was thinking the downpipe.. i'd like to do a manifold but i think it'd be a pretty big learning experience.

i should really start doing research on the exahust housing of a GT series turbo, and see if its compatible with anything.. i guess if that was the case we could use that to at least mount to the turbo (assuming its 3 inch), then hack it half way down and make our own from there on back.. yeah?

then again, i wonder how much some shop would charge to just do a complete turbo back system.. hmmm

yea. It'd be awesome to find something that mated to the manifold, but wth a better downpipe flange that could accomidate some fabricated downpipe of a larger diameter... and improve exhaust flow by losing the chicane style outlet.

We gotta look into it, but i think that the bolt pattern to the manifold may be the same as a more conventional t3, but the inner diameter is circular? if that's the case we may just be able to portmatch the stock manifold to a different turbo and use the same bolt hole pattern. that would make things easy on the manifold side.. then the exhaust would be no prob as long as it's something like a simple flange-style mate.

no doubt, if we could use the oe manifold it'd be dope..

the chicane style turbo outlet hasn't hit me until i really had a look at this latest turbo.. like really, you can see *half* of the exhaust turbine! then again, it probably isn't *that* much restriction, how bout saab downpipes :blink:

3inDP_and_orig_1.jpg

(from v-m's site)

That is very good "as is" turbine housing, that will give 50-70hp more with good DP than original turbine housing (exhaust pressure is low). Just add 3" pipe from turbo to "this narrow place near rear diff." and rest can be normal size and you get much more power out. Aaa... but you need this catalysator there... maybe add some high flow cat. But you can remove this middle silencer (nearly no extra sound was coming). I findout at normal std turbo max boost were 0.8bar after that heat load was increasing rapidly but that turbo with better turbine housing and DP can do bit over 1bar -> 240-260hp?

About that picture, I only change that DP and rise boost with bleeder (0.2bar -> 1.1bar) on my Saab and get 165kW from wheels (automat and originally 147kW from engine) Of cause small hand works also head etc... but point is eaven in that flange it's 2.25" from start and tight turn and then changes to 3" and still giving good responce :blink: This Dyno result is on my page also.

V-M

Well, bit difficult to tell cause I don't know right name on that where back wheel support is connected and it's girder? I this picture pipe goinig trought there it's under back silencers.

That is made in 2,5" and it's very difficult to keep of hitting edges on that narrow place. And it's 3" from turbo to this "narrow place". Next time I'll go to have car up I'll have some pictures below of car.

But any way, of cause 3" DP helps eaven short one but like they say "Bigger is better"

IMG_0072.JPG

V-M

One mod I did on the exhaust housing was to port it out some more. That one stud that has it's "bulge" right in the middle of the flow path.

I used a die grinder and a nice bit to take that down substantially, as well as shape it's profile to make it more "aerodynamic", as well as did some general cleaning and polishing. I also used the flange from the exhaust pipe and I match ported the exhaust housing to the pipe better. I didn't go too crazy though as I didn't want it to start cracking all over. (So far so good).

I did it for the car my brother had at the time and he reported good results - but the car was bone stock so it would have been hard to tell.

I now have this barely used turbo in my garage waiting for me to do the engine in my car. Once I use it up, (or have more money to spend) I plan on the GT25 or GT28 upgrade.

Rabin