Cases of Sunoco 505 oil filter

nick@nite

Hey Nick,

What are the Sunoco filters like? Are they on par with Purflux or more like Fram?

I'd be interested if they're a nice quality filter with anti drain back valves and lots of filter media in them.

Rabin

Hey Nick,

What are the Sunoco filters like? Are they on par with Purflux or more like Fram?

I'd be interested if they're a nice quality filter with anti drain back valves and lots of filter media in them.

Rabin

They're like the Fram, they have the PH part #, Purflux are OE for a reason... The best. The Purflux cost about $18 for 2 oil filter now. We've had these for awhile as a backup if we for some reason ran out.

Thanks man - but I think I'll pass... :D

I've never actually used the Purflux ones (can't get'em up here), but the Napa Gold and Wix both had decent filters that I use... Eventually I'll do a remote filter set up when I install the external oil cooler - should be able to get some nice filters then... (AMSOIL ones most likely)

Rabin

Thanks man - but I think I'll pass... :D

I've never actually used the Purflux ones (can't get'em up here), but the Napa Gold and Wix both had decent filters that I use... Eventually I'll do a remote filter set up when I install the external oil cooler - should be able to get some nice filters then... (AMSOIL ones most likely)

Rabin

What external oil cooler? :)

Johnny - Oil cooler is off an older RX-7. It's a common upgrade that a lot of guys do since the cooler is pretty big, and it's easy to install. I got it free and thought it would be a good addition - found out later how popular it is to add it.

Nick - it's tempting, but the PH numbers most likely mean Fram and they just don't have that good a rep. I spend a lot of money on oil and such - so the last thing I'd scrimp on is the filter.

Can you post pics? Usually you can see inside the hole, and through the perforated inner core you can usually see how tight the folds are. Good filters the folds are pretty packed together. Cheap ones the folds are thin and there's not that many in them.

Rabin

Nick - I just realized I asked for photo documentation for some filters you're blowing out the door for most likely less than cost... :D Sorry - but if it's a hassle no worries! Shipping it here would be as much or more than the actual cost most likely - so if I did do it I'd want to make sure they're as good as the ones I usually use. (Not as good as the Purflux ones for sure...)

Johnny - There are also sandwich plates that fit between the filter and the block that allow you to run a cooler if you don't want to relocate the filter... (So send and return for both go to the filter mount)

Sandwich plate

If there isn't enough room, they have filter relocation kits (Just the oil by-pass fittings) and I'd just run the cooler in series with the filter.

Rabin

can you get MANN filters? Madhu used to sell those and they are the closest thing to purflux i've found. though i prefer purflux, and mail order them from WH.

can you get MANN filters? Madhu used to sell those and they are the closest thing to purflux i've found. though i prefer purflux, and mail order them from WH.

Maybe able to get MANN Filters I could maybe do some research if there is an interestand maybe get a price. but If Madhu doesn't stock them anymore than there is probley a reason. That guy is pretty die hard.

Maybe able to get MANN Filters I could maybe do some research if there is an interestand maybe get a price. but If Madhu doesn't stock them anymore than there is probley a reason. That guy is pretty die hard.

that's my bad. last time i bought oil filters from madhu he sent me mann. i'm assuming he still sells them, i just haven't bought them from him in a long time. (hence "used to").

i think MANN filters are much easier to source then purflux eh?

that's my bad. last time i bought oil filters from madhu he sent me mann. i'm assuming he still sells them, i just haven't bought them from him in a long time. (hence "used to").

i think MANN filters are much easier to source then purflux eh?

Yes, Purflux are OE and are going to be shipped only by special orders now, from France.