Head gaskets - found a new supplier!

Bean

Hey guys,

I was back researching stuff online for what would make for the best option for these engines. While working on my bikes I kept coming across a company called Cometic Gaskets - they seem to be widely known to be some of the best gaskets to use - better than OEM, in a lot of different instances... Cometic Gaskets

So I gave them a call and talked to a really good guy that was super helpful with my seemingly ridiculous request... :) After searching their DB with some different numbers, it turns out they actually had made a pattern for the 505 Turbo for a previous customer! I was hoping to get one of their new MLS (Multi-layer steel) gaskets, but they only had it in their fibre design. (Doing a run of MLS would need a commitment of ~100 gaskets at $100 a pop.)

Their fibre design is on par with the stock/Curty/Politecnic designs and will be perfect for stock or slightly modded engines. If you're building for 20+ PSI then he said clamping force will definitely need to be addressed. (RE: Head studs would be a must.)

Best part of this is that these gaskets can be ordered with any bore size, and in various thicknesses. Part number he gave is h2038 - 059F (The gasket is the h2038, the number after this was the thickness of the one they made in thousands of an inch (0.059") and it had a 94mm bore - so you'll need to specify what you want.)

I also got some really good leads from him as well that I'm going to try and follow up on to see if there's a chance I can figure out how to do a kick ass high boost HG... If it works - it'll make those beautiful Italian HG's look like yesterday's technology...

Failing that - I think the fibre gasket with a head stud kit should still be good to 20 psi on a properly built and tuned motor... (Cost he figured was about ~$100 - he'd know for sure once it was spec'd out.)

Rabin

because of the car I'm getting having had been overheated and sitting for a while I'm intending to take off the head and scoping around for any damage and gunk buildup since I have no clue of the cars history. You think If I ran his gasket I could run 20 psi with the TMIC, stock valvetrain and bigger injectors safely?

Matt

To answer your question as asked - no, it I don't think it'd be safe to run to 20psi. It might be able to do it for a short while, but I'd bet money that it wouldn't last long at all.

If I were you - instead of jumping into pulling the head off, spend the time getting it ready to fire first. Any "gunk" is going to be under the valve cover and in the sump - so pulling the head won't help with that. So pull the valve cover and clean up the valvetrain, and then lube it well. Pull the plugs and squirt a couple teaspoons of oil in each spark plug hole, change the oil and filter (check for antifreeze), and then fire it over with the plugs out to build oil pressure. (also a good time to do a compression test.) Put the plugs back and then fire it up to see if it fires up.

Once it fires then go about checking to see if there are any bubbles in the coolant resevoir, and any other signs the head gasket or the head is damaged.

If there is - THEN do the head gasket. It's a fairly big job, and without a FSM it would be impossible to do right. That being said - it'd probably be cheaper to find and buy a running turbo than to fix this car, and then use it for parts, or swap the good motor into this car.

Speed really does cost money - and to do it right you should do a lot more than just the HG and bigger injectors before it can run 20 psi and last. Get it to run PERFECT before even attempting to mod the car (Stage 0 as they say on the other forums) otherwise you'll waste a lot of time and money - and you'll hardly get to drive the car!

Rabin

• 1 year later...

Well I think that I may try one of these if they are still available. I put a Meillor gasket in and it lasted about a year. I have not driven the car since the spring but finally got around to pulling the head yesterday. There are no obvious sings of failure but upon closer inspection it would seem that the quality of the Meillor product may have been the sole contributing factor to the failure.

My question is on thickness of a new gasket. I see from Rabin's original post that I must specify the thickness I want if I order from Cometic. Did these gaskets come in varying thicknesses from Peugeot? Is the specified 0.059 the stock thickness?

Thanks, John

I'll have to see if the manual specifies the thickness - but I would likely just go with what they have on file. Pretty sure they did it up for a stock application - so it should work fine.

I still need to get ARP the hole specifications for the head and the block so they can see if they can match up a head stud kit for the engine.

Using studs instead of bolts, and a cometic gasket should go a long way to improving sealing on these engines IMHO.

Rabin

Well, I ordered the Cometic gasket today. I also inquired with Politecnic as to their offerings. They told me that they have Glaser but prefer to use Meillor. I don't know if the Meillor gasket that they use is the same as the one I bought previously. They suggest that my problem is not the gasket itself but possible the method used to torque. I don't know but the gasket I have certainly looks suspect if for no other reason than an inconsistency in the shape of the combustion chamber openings. I'll try and get some pictures to post for second opinions. Politecnic suggest I need to use the torque method suggested by Peugeot Sport for the 200HP engines. Does anyone know if that is just the revised procedure that has been posted around which calls for a re-torque as opposed to the procedure in my manual which does not?

John

Hi John,

I didn't find any specs in the manual either. Diesels specify different thicknesses - but the gas engine specs I've seen never have.

Please take pics of the Cometic gasket once it arrives. I too disliked the inconsistent cylinder holes in the gasket - it just looks poorly made!

Not sure what the Peugeot Sport recommended torque specs are - but would love to find that out. Didn't even know it existed. It might be worthwhile to ask what Cometic recommends for their gasket...

Rabin

• 5 years later...

I have trying to contact cometic now 3 months (sending emails, fb contact) no answer. Calling is way too complicated to proceed in my case. Any direct contact name there or other way? Or maybe they not interest to deal with beond artic cirle :) I was just trying to get info about availability and price at this stage. STD size.

V-M

Good info Rabin! Just grabbed a pristine 87 505 turbo wagon out of Seattle last week and the head is coming off as we speak. Big John in Hebo is undertaking the task. He swore he'd never work on a gas turbo again, until he saw this car, then he got excited about them again. He tasked me with finding the head gasket and RockAuto does not have the 1.3mm think ones currently and ebay was a bust as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick at Imported Car center in VT has bought them and did have them in stock at one point.

V-M - I'd be happy to be your agent with Cometic and find out whatever you need. Previous calls to them they mentioned that they can do any thickness, and any bore size.

They can not do MLS without a minimum order - Last I heard it was a min order of $5k.

I'll call them on Monday once I know specifically what you need.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi V-M,

I tried calling twice this week, and was transferred both times to their tech guys where I left messages. Never got a call back.

That said - I looked into getting MLS gaskets done up overseas in 2012 - but lacking enough interest it got sidelined.

Keebs is now very interested, and if you are willing we would just need a couple more to get their orders over 5 discount.

Not sure what your time frame is - but any interest in that?

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a cometic in and it wont work since the head is not a 92mm bore. It slipped my mind that the head overlaps the bore on each side of the combustion chamber by just a little bit. Minimum bore size for a cometic should be 94mm, I ordered a 94.5mm just to be sure.

Are you still having trouble contacting them? They pick up every time I've called.

They picked up, but put me through to their tech like where I've had to leave voice mails - never had one call back.

Can you take a pic showing what you mean about the 92mm bore not working? I'm not following.

Apologies too everyone as well - flurry of activities with the kids due to year end stuff all happening so car stuff was pushed aside.

Will be able to get back into car stuff more once June wraps up...

Rabin