Anybody check out Politecnic lately?

Bean

Hey guys,

I was curious about the Politecnic site so I checked it out again... Not sure if it's just me - but I don't remember them selling piston sets, body panels, or brakes for these cars too... They also list crank bearings! I checked out the Matra distributor for Politecnic as well and they had some more parts like steel head gaskets, bearings, chain tensioner etc etc.

Prices also have gone up a bit...

I sent them an e-mail to see if they're still supporting the 505, but I know they're a little imfamous for not replying so we'll see what happens. Failing Politecnic it might be interesting to see what their Matra dealer can find. I should also mention the Matra site listed new heads for the N9 engine as well for cheaper than Politecnic.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has checked it out lately...

Rabin

I tried to e-mail them a few weeks ago asking for info about the 550hp engine they offer, but they didn't reply.

I actually made a translation with babelfish, so the email they got was in french, but that didn't make a diffrence.

Funny thing that the adjustable FPR is cheaper than the "Kit PTS 200 hp"-one. :)

I was thinking - if they're actually willing to deal on 505 Turbo stuff - is there anybody here interested in a group by on some of the components?

I'm thinking the Dani head of course, but are there any other parts people are interested in that we can possibly work a group buy? (Bottom end bearings? a total rebuild kit? rods? pistons?)

The prices on the site are pretty darn high - so I'm only interested in possibly the head. I'd like to see if there's a way to rebuild the bottom end with readily available parts if possible - so I'm not real willing to spend huge cash on the full meal deal. Although the fully built engine isn't outrageous as far as crate engines go...

Still - I figured I'd get a gauge to see if it's worth discussing with Politecnic.

Rabin

Alrighty - here's the response:

Politecnic sarl

180, chemin de BaratiĆØre - 38330 Saint NAZAIRE LES EYMES - FRANCE

TĆ©l. (33).04.76.52.20.85 - Internet : www.politecnic.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danielson head = Epuised (Can't find a definite meaning for this - assuming it's "used up" from context of other paragraphs when I googled it. Anyone know for sure?)

New original cylinder head - with valves = 1 589.00 ā‚¬

steel head gasket = 65.30 ā‚¬

pistons Coworth complet (axles + clips + rings) = 991.00 ā‚¬

crank bearings = Epuised

rod bearings = 225.70 ā‚¬

Kit timing chain with hydraulic tensioner = 105.00 ā‚¬

Restant Ć  votre entiĆØre disposition pour tout autre renseignement, nous vous prions d'agrĆ©er, Monsieur, l'expression de nos sincĆØres salutations.

Bablefish translation: Remainder fully at your disposal for any other information, us you prions to approve, Sir, the expression of our sincere greetings.

Politecnic sarl

Cyril Gracia

Well I had asked for info about the race spec but it wasn't addressed - so I sent another specific e-mail asking if they'll now share the race spec details for the hobbyists that still own these cars. I could see these being "trade secrets" in the heydays of 505 racing - but now it should be safe to share the details. Hopefully they decide to share...

As for prices - the only ones that seem OK are the timing chain and tensioner set, and the steel head gasket. I've asked if it's a multi-layer steel gasket, and if so if it's possible to get a custom one with 95mm piston holes...

Again - we'll see what happens.

I was talking with a buddy about the issues with rebuilding the engine and we discussed the possibility of offset grinding the crank to a smaller journal and a narrower width to fit a different Ford rod. The 2.3 Turbo has 3 different rod lengths that have been developed with different pistons, so it might be possible to bore it and stroke the engine for the Ford bits... That seemed crazy to be as it would likely get to be a 2.6 - 2.8L turbo 4 - but if done well - would still be cheaper than getting any left over OEM / NOS bits.

I'm also still waiting on the cost break down for doing the supercharged V6. I'm trying to cap the engine built at $3K - but will be able to likely swing $4k if it means having the motor of all motors.

Rabin

As for prices - the only ones that seem OK are the timing chain and tensioner set, and the steel head gasket. I've asked if it's a multi-layer steel gasket, and if so if it's possible to get a custom one with 95mm piston holes...

Rabin

Just for note at originel head gasget has ~96mm holes. (and that's one reason why it's not good for over 1bar boost)

Is't that Epuised same as not available? (If yes then my 3 pcs of dani heads can be real value for sale) :-D

V-M

So there were no changes to the stock gasket when you ran the big pistons V-M? I seem to remember they have the worst shaped piston holes and that you may have had a tiny bit of head gasket into the combustion chamber which was a partial cause to the failure - but that's just from memory. I'd like a custom one, and since a lot of the new race engines are using these multi-layer steel gaskets I figured it was worth a shot. There's also that nice gasket with the combustion rings from Italy that was on here (Tama?) that might be worth a shot - but my ultimate goal is to be able to source the rebuild from North American suppliers so that it's easily duplicated.

As for the Dani heads - what would you sell them for? I know you've made your own - and that might be a possibility for me as well. I know you've detailed the work to make one into a Dani head, so I might have to give it a second look. (Do you have your link handy?)

My biggest problem with the stock head is that recessed area the plug is in. The Dani head has a much better location and combustion chamber design in conjuction with the cosworth pistons - so it'd be nice to how close one could get to replicating that. I just don't like the 10mm plugs it uses! Be nicer if standard 5/8" plug fit it instead.

Maybe the best mod to buy is a tig welder!

Rabin

Youre remembering right but I was not referring directly on my "big" engine only but also with normal size.

Reason is when gasget hole is so much bigger than actual need, egde of combustion comes closer to water holes. In gasget which is lineing close to cylinder will do job much better than that. That was my intention to give an idea about gasget.

I have one self made dani and two originals. Making dani (only work part was ~700e).

When you see/weld you can see at it's very difficult to make with bigger plug (very close to water and exhaust channels)

Br

Veli-Matti

Alrighty - here's the response:

Politecnic sarl

180, chemin de BaratiĆØre - 38330 Saint NAZAIRE LES EYMES - FRANCE

TĆ©l. (33).04.76.52.20.85 - Internet : www.politecnic.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danielson head = Epuised (Can't find a definite meaning for this - assuming it's "used up" from context of other paragraphs when I googled it. Anyone know for sure?)

New original cylinder head - with valves = 1 589.00 ā‚¬

steel head gasket = 65.30 ā‚¬

pistons Coworth complet (axles + clips + rings) = 991.00 ā‚¬

crank bearings = Epuised

rod bearings = 225.70 ā‚¬

Kit timing chain with hydraulic tensioner = 105.00 ā‚¬

Restant Ć  votre entiĆØre disposition pour tout autre renseignement, nous vous prions d'agrĆ©er, Monsieur, l'expression de nos sincĆØres salutations.

Bablefish translation: Remainder fully at your disposal for any other information, us you prions to approve, Sir, the expression of our sincere greetings.

Politecnic sarl

Cyril Gracia

Epuise mean that it's not available

Actually, Politecnic's parts are not so expensive, but don't forget that their prices are in Euros... They take advantage of the rate Euro/Dollar.

It's probably obvious, but if want Danielson race parts, why don't you ask to Danielson?

Another thing about Politecnic: they're not able to find parts for a 300hp N9TE... so 550hp? -_-

I already tried to send a message via their website, but I'm unsure it went since I get a page error after sending it.

Couldn't find a direct e-mail either. Can't speak french except for "Hi, my name is Rabin" and "I can't speak french." Oh yeah - and "Where is the library?" from Seseme street... (I loved that show.)

If you have a contact there, or can make some inquiries on our behalf that would be most appreciated! Hope of all hopes and they have some NOS parts they want to get rid off!

Rabin

Tell me what you want, but it'll wait April (I left France next week for Australia, and come back on April the 21th). But it's scheduled that I send them shocks to modify it in April, so i'll see with them for performance parts. Moreover, a friend of mine will be in training session at Danielson Engineering on May.

How cool is this, a helpful guy from the land of the mighty lion!

I would really like to know as much as possible about the race/high-hp versions of the 505 turbo-engine (N9Txx).

Like what camshaft they used, pistons, connecting rods, turbo. etc... If they are willing to tell us that. :D

i'll ask in April, but you know, France is a little country, I ever met Nicolas Heligon (505production), I know someone who has a 505super-production, Christophe Leverdier is a very good friend... I even met Brownie (Netherlands) in Sochaux. To get informations about performance parts, you can ask too on the 505 French forum (http://club505.forumpro.fr/). Some of them have important knowledges about 505 turbo.

I've tried to register on that french forum, but I have never succeeded.

I don't know french so that could be the problem. :D

EDIT

Correction, I HAVE registred successfully on the forum, but I can barely read any posts anyway.

It says that I need special access.

To get a complet access, you must pay 30euros (45$)... So I left this forum myself. This money is supposed to be used for the association (meetings, advertising...), but I paid last year and nothing was done. By the way, you can ask them what you want to know (use google translator, it's enough 'cause they even don't speak French very well...)