WTB 505 Turbo 5-speed

bergxu

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and am thrilled to have found an active Peugeot community alive and well on the web! Anyways, the 505 Turbo has always been a car I've found appealing and recently have begun to search for what would be my ideal 505...as follows;

Silver, Black, Red or Grey exterior with the factory bodykit and early alloy wheels with a Grey or Black interior. The car must be a turbo and must be a 5-speed manual. I would be willing to pay for the right car in proper condition. Does anyone here have any insight as to where I may be able to locate such a specimen? I am in Cincinnati, Ohio but for the right car, I don't care if I have to ship it across the country....wouldn't be the first time!!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer!

Welcome to the forum Aaron! And nice stable of cars... :angry: (The 308 GTSi is one of my all time favorite cars.)

What you've described with the "factory body kit" pretty much means the 89 Turbo and they are VERY rare indeed. There's currently an 89' 505 Turbo auto for sale for cheap that needs tranny work - but you wanted a 5-sp in minty shape - and that's going to be a rare find.

There's a couple owners on this site that have them - but I doubt they'd sell - but then again there's always a price... :blink: Maybe do a search on the site and PM owners direct if you really want to see what's around. There's also a yahoo group called Peugeot-L that has a strong membership - so it might do well to post there as well.

Good luck with the search!

Rabin

Rabin;

Thank you for the reply! I guess I should have elaborated more; What I meant by 'bodykit' was the early duck tail spoiler and front air dam and side skirts that I've seen on early Turbos. I actually prefer those to the later cars' look. I just got off the phone with a very nice woman who has a non-turbo minter for sale in Seattle...but I'm trying to balance the spec I want with condition as well so a mint non-turbo ''ain't gonna cut it'' so to speak....But I'll trawl the site here and see if what I want pops up! And as for the 308GTSi; it was always one of my favorite cars as a kid and I vowed to own one someday! So four years ago I became the custodian of a 1978 308GT4...kept it for a year then replaced it with a '75 GT4 then sold that to a friend of mine and 'upgraded' to my present '82 which is what I wanted all along. Granted it's not a Quattrovalvole but the $10K price premium for the same car but with two more valves per cylinder and about 30 more hp wasn't worth it to me. It's fast enough :angry:

Well thank you again for the reply! I'm excited to venture into 505 ownership! And by the way are there any good buyer's guides out there?? All I seem to hear is that the four bangers eat head gaskets and they all eat sunroof cables!

Well - a lot of this car's bad rep has to do with incompetent mechanics, and owners that don't or can't spend the money to look after them properly. I've never had a head gasket fail on me, but I've bought cars with failed head gaskets... Sadly the sunroof cable dig is pretty accurate - but often times the cable sheath has just split so it's a fairly easy fix. Again - proper lubing and cleaning of the tracks would help prevent it, but it's an admitted poor design prone to failure... Personally I'd like to devise an elegant manual solution as the old 504 sunroofs rock!

Back to your desired car... :angry: It sounds like what you're after is the evolution body kit that was a factory option... I'd guess that they're probably more rare than the 89's! I have seen the kit offered, and I believe there was a post in the classifieds way back for the kit - but it was pretty $$$.

Admittedly the Peugeot crowd is known as being kinda thrifty, but it is hard to justify big money on cosmetics for a lot of owners since the cars themselves are such bargains. Personally - I like the minimalist early euro 505's with the smaller bumpers, no side moldings, and the shallow rear tail lights.

So I think you're best options would be to look for the 86 - 88' Turbo's, and then try to source a evo kit or make one up like one of our members from across the pond. Catalin's 505 The 86+ cars have the newer dash - which is why I suggest that range. It should be noted that the 88+ cars have electronic boost control (The A in N9TEA engine code), but they have an open diff. The 86 - 87's have LSD, and the 89 has the Torsen diff.

You'll be limited to the minty ones that are left - but there are definitely some very nice ones left, and they are HUGE bang for the buck.

Good luck on the search and keep us posted!

Rabin

Well thank you again for the reply! I'm excited to venture into 505 ownership! And by the way are there any good buyer's guides out there?? All I seem to hear is that the four bangers eat head gaskets and they all eat sunroof cables!

If I were in your shoes, I'd just track down the car and offer the owner whatever money it takes to get him or her to hand over the keys. Would be less than a 30K service on a F-car.

Ya, you're looking for a 89 turbo 5 speed. They only imported 14 into the country. I don't think the 88's had the body kit. Much more plentiful in 5 speed configuration. I know the 87s didn't as I have one.

I'd search for a 86-88 5 speed turbo car and then find the body parts. Then reshoot the car.

Peugeots are like Fiats. Cars aimed at the middle class that got used and abused. Parts are very tough to find. So unlike an Alfa, there is little support. When one pops up, chances are some kid sees "turbo" in the ad and buys it and promptly neglects/abuses it.

I think we're close to Simca territory in terms of rarity here.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've watched stuff dry up over the last 10 years to the point where it's just nuts.

Oh yeah, buyer's guide. Google "Jim Lill" & "guide" and some text file will pop up. General car stuff. Worth reading though.

You'll want to avoid ABS as it's pretty rare and expensive to fix. I just paid $500 for rotors for mine. BUT, ABS was usually added to high end trim'ed 505. (read: turbo) You'll also want the Torsen differential, but it was only available of a few cars. You'd have to swap it in.

Sorry to seem so pessimistic, but if someone wants a choice 505 turbo with all the bells and whistles, I got one word for you: "Pay the Man". Get this $1-2,000 thing out of your head. Sure, there might be one or two for sale in the country for that or less. If I were starting out, I'd find that dude in NC and offer him 15 or 20K for one of his 89s and that's that. The market isn't crazy like it is for vintage V12 F-cars, but attrition is making them just about as hard to find. If fact, you can find a nice 330 easier than the car you described. Now, the 330 will set you back a little bit more!

Also, it helps a lot if you can turn your own wrench. Finding a mechanic is pretty tough.

I'm definitely willing to pay top $$ for the right car although $20K might be pushing it as for $20K into another 'play car' I could get myself another TR6 or 911...However...that being said...I'd be willing to pay $8-$10K for a good Turbo 505 if it came my way. I appreciate all of the good info I've received here thus far and will take it to heart as the search continues!

You could find a nice 505 turbo for less than 8k, in definately.

You are looking for almost the same described dream 505 turbo as me, in Red.):angry:

I just recently saw a nicely kept 505 turbo go for sale in Ohio, though it was an auto tranny.

Theyre pretty rare cars, so theyre pretty hard to come by in general.

If I was you, I'd get looking on craigfind.com

type in peugeot 505, and it'll show results from craigslists all around the country. I've found parts that I bought from there myself.

I mentioned today to August that I could be talked into selling Duece as I really don't need 2 Red 505 Turbo's and I doubt I'll ever sell Red. I've put 10,000 miles on Deuce. It's mechanically perfect and now has 72,000 miles.

So anyway............offers considered. '87 Turbo S w/5/speed. It even has a working Plip !

post-137-1201494695.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned today to August that I could be talked into selling Duece as I really don't need 2 Red 505 Turbo's and I doubt I'll ever sell Red. I've put 10,000 miles on Deuce. It's mechanically perfect and now has 72,000 miles.

So anyway............offers considered. '87 Turbo S w/5/speed. It even has a working Plip !

post-137-1201494695.jpg

I'm new to this board but not new to Pug's. I've owned both and 86 505 S and a 89 405 Mi16. I've had an eye out for a nice Pug for awhile now. Instead of going back and forth on it, what price are you looking to get? I'm not too far away from you in Salt Lake.

Eric