505 ABS / non-ABS parts compatibility

august

From what I understand, there were some late model 505's (88+) sold without ABS. does anyone know if those cars came with the re-designed beefy front sub frame, but just used the old school brake master cylinder?

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the abs modulator (??), and replace is straight up with a regular non-abs brake master.

anyone have any experience with this?

Hey August,

I had an 88' GLX that I parted out and it didn't have ABS brakes - but it looked like all the suspension bits and such were the later versions - it just had the regular 505 booster and master cylinder...

I'm betting you could gut it all and revert it back to the old system with no problem...

Rabin

From what I understand, there were some late model 505's (88+) sold without ABS. does anyone know if those cars came with the re-designed beefy front sub frame, but just used the old school brake master cylinder?

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the abs modulator (??), and replace is straight up with a regular non-abs brake master.

anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, I've done it. The ABS unit was leaking on my '88 STX and the cheapest price I could find was $1,700 for a rebuilt Teva unit. So instead I took the vacuum booster assembly, brake pedal and front brakelines from my 86. The master cylinder had been sitting for a while, so I bought a rebuilt one and used that. The only hitch is that one of the 86 brake lines fit and the other wasn't long enough, so I had to have an adapter made up so the larger brake line would mate with the smaller 86 master cylinder. You'll also have to change the brake light switch crimp connectors, but that's easy. I think it cost me $18 for the adapter hose and something like $60 for the master cylinder. A lot better than $1,700. Oh, one last thing - it was a little hard finding a good vacuum tap on the V6 - the first one I tried didn't have enough to assist the brakes properly. I found a spot on the passenger side that has worked great for at least 6 months now.

George

Yes, I've done it. The ABS unit was leaking on my '88 STX and the cheapest price I could find was $1,700 for a rebuilt Teva unit. So instead I took the vacuum booster assembly, brake pedal and front brakelines from my 86. The master cylinder had been sitting for a while, so I bought a rebuilt one and used that. The only hitch is that one of the 86 brake lines fit and the other wasn't long enough, so I had to have an adapter made up so the larger brake line would mate with the smaller 86 master cylinder. You'll also have to change the brake light switch crimp connectors, but that's easy. I think it cost me $18 for the adapter hose and something like $60 for the master cylinder. A lot better than $1,700. Oh, one last thing - it was a little hard finding a good vacuum tap on the V6 - the first one I tried didn't have enough to assist the brakes properly. I found a spot on the passenger side that has worked great for at least 6 months now.

George

excellent, thanks George!