Current 505 tire selection

i thought i'd open up a thread on *good* tires for day-to-day use. i know some people's "day to day" use is a lot differen't then others, but i think you all get my drift.

over the last 6 or so years i've been sold on the Michelin Pilot XGT-V4's. I've tried other tires on the 505, but nothing has come close in my opinion. the xgt's always felt really stable, very round, low tire noise, handled well, V rated, and i could get a ton of miles out of them. but now it seems as though michelin has stopped making the xgt's in 205/60's.

the next best (IMO) was the Yokohama AVS ES100's. softer compound then the xgt's, and also felt like a much softer sidewall, and wore out a lot faster (H rated).

the next tires i'm thinking about are looking limited as well (quantity), but i was curious if any of you had any thoughts on this one. Dunlop SP Sport 01's. V rated, softish compound, and pretty cheap. but Dunlop? i don't know.

the obvious answer here is to run a different size. 205/50's have a SLEW of choices including V rated Yoko ES100's, but I want to keep it stock. I know Victor would suggest going to a non stock size too being they ran 215/50's (???) back in the 505 SSB days. another issue with going wider is it looks like there's less clearance between sidewall and strut body on the ABS cars, which makes running something wider tricky unless i use spacers, but i don't really want to do that on my 'stock' car either.

(for what it's worth: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)

anyways, thoughts?

the obvious answer here is to run a different size. 205/50's have a SLEW of choices including V rated Yoko ES100's, but I want to keep it stock. I know Victor would suggest going to a non stock size too being they ran 215/50's (???) back in the 505 SSB days. another issue with going wider is it looks like there's less clearance between sidewall and strut body on the ABS cars, which makes running something wider tricky unless i use spacers, but i don't really want to do that on my 'stock' car either.

anyways, thoughts?

I've done it many times and nobody's bit, but here goes again. Yokohama AVS dB S2.

I've owned two sets of these tires for two years. They are V rated. I used to buy Michelin only. If I couldn't afford the Michelins, I parked the car until I could. I used to sell Michelins and was trained by a Michelin representative. I still think they're great tires.

However with my understanding of tire construction properties, I closely examined the Yokohamas on the recommendation on another salesman's prompting. They are indeed doing everything that Michelin pioneered as are most Japanese tire companys now.

These tires are what I'm currently running on my 505 turbo and they handle great! They are predictable and give great feedback on the edge of their handling envelop. They also share the vaunted Michelin wear-line-iron characteristics for street tires. My camber issue will probably cause them to wear out at 25000 miles, but if that wasn't an issue, I'm sure they'd be an easy 40K tire.

Two other important things: Silent and wet weather grip. As a Seattleite, I know rain. I actually love driving in the rain. Maybe it's the Peugeot, maybe it's the tires. It's probably a bit of both, but I'm pretty untouchable in the rain. One thing to look for in a rain tire is stopping in a straight line. A lot of tires can do pretty good at lateral adhesion, but suck at straight line adhesion.

Quietest tire I've ever owned. Works well when you've got dinner guests in your Peugeot heading out to a restaurant.

Lastly, they're $100 bucks a pop. I got mine at Discount Tire.

They do pretty much suck in the snow (although I was able to get around "fair enough"), but if you don't need snow traction, they're the best tire under $100 with a V rating and as liveable as it gets for the street. I can't recommend these tires highly enough.

I've also heard great things about those tires N9TE. I was even given a ride in a 505 with those tires and they are amazing for sure. it's crazy how they are completely silent even when driven on the edge.

what would be even cooler is if they offered them in 205/60/15's. the closest i see is 205/65 on tire rack. are your's 65's?

I've also heard great things about those tires N9TE. I was even given a ride in a 505 with those tires and they are amazing for sure. it's crazy how they are completely silent even when driven on the edge.

what would be even cooler is if they offered them in 205/60/15's. the closest i see is 205/65 on tire rack. are your's 65's?

I have the wrong size on my car. I got them shortly after I got the car. Took it to Discount Tire and said I wanted the dBs. They just took the size off the sidewalls of the tires that were on the car. 205/65 15. I caught this after I put 100 miles on them and they weren't about to exchange them. They don't rub so I'm ok with them until they wear out. Speedo is a little pessimistic, but what the hey...

According to Yokohama, they do indeed have them in 205/60 15.

Get 'em.

I just bought a set of four Michelin MXV4's 205-60-15 that are used off of ebay. They have 8/32nd's tread (new is 10/32). There is a seller near here that sells tires that came of cars that got totalled out, so I didn't have to pay shipping. $139.99/4. It took a while to find them, and I had a search specified on ebay for auctions within 50 miles of me, where they email you when they come up. They are a nice balance for grip, noise and wear.

-Bill

wow, good call. i'm going to look into it.

thanks!

bad news from the tire rack camp. i would like to verify this info with a yokohama rep though.

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:43:40 -0400

To: <me>

Message-ID: <A0F59B6CD3059A429F282D365FD5C7EA013E93F8@ttrexchange.tirerack.com>

Subject: FW: QUESTION FOR SALES FROM WWW.TIRERACK.COM 04/09/07-10:56:45

Thanks for your inquiry.

That tire is discontinued and is no longer available from Yokohama or us.

If you have any other questions or need to place an order, please feel free to contact me. If you are placing an order online, please be sure to reference my name, so that I can watch over the order as it processes.

prepare to be pissed off: the AVS dB S2 is discontinued

They recommend the Avid V4S or H4S (V rated version supposedly not available in our size), which is an all season tire. If you're looking for something a little more 'sporty', they suggest the AVS ES100's which is H rated in our OE size, and come with Jell-O filled side walls.

I asked, "the AVS ES100 is available in so many sizes, and almost all of them are V rated. Why is the ONE size we use only H rated?" he replied "because most car's using 205-60's recommend H rated tires".

I guess the 505 does recommend H rated tires, is that because V rated tires weren't so readily available in the 70's when the 505 was coming out?

anyway... i guess it's time to try some dunlops. :lol: