So August... Any updates?

Bean

Just curious if you've had any updates yet? Realize it's close to your recent move - so things must be hectic...

Myself - It's just starting to get nice out so I should be able to finally start my project...

Rabin

I live in Regina Saskatchewan Canada...

Probably own 5 out of the 10 cars in the entire Province of Saskatchewan - so it's a very rare car here.

BTW - Saskatchewan is a huge! Bigger than a lot of countries, but hardly populated. (Under 1 million total.)

Great place to live though!

Rabin

Just curious if you've had any updates yet? Realize it's close to your recent move - so things must be hectic...

Myself - It's just starting to get nice out so I should be able to finally start my project...

Rabin

aaah yes, havent had much time to spend on the forum lately <_<

next few months should be interesting, speaking of which

the Ron Davis radiator isn't going to work with the stock water pump, and offset cooling fan. so i have to break down a finally buy an electric water pump. do any of you have any experience with aftermarket pumps? i'm really not sure what to get. but i'd ideally like something that i could use in a 'daily driver' situation if it comes to it.

any input would be appreciated.

Guest adegnes

aaah yes, havent had much time to spend on the forum lately :D

next few months should be interesting, speaking of which

the Ron Davis radiator isn't going to work with the stock water pump, and offset cooling fan. so i have to break down a finally buy an electric water pump. do any of you have any experience with aftermarket pumps? i'm really not sure what to get. but i'd ideally like something that i could use in a 'daily driver' situation if it comes to it.

any input would be appreciated.

The idea of a remote electric waterpump sounds cool (*) shouldnt be too hard to find... maybe this could be something for my car to, keep us posted!

Buy this one!!!

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/elecpump.htm

hahahaha <_< (wonder what the +20hp gain is from..? the electric pumps added waterflow pushing the engine faster? hahahahahah :unsure::D )

I think that the power-increase is due to that the engine doesn't waste power on turning a mechanical pump.

I've heard of some volvo-engine that had a mechanical radiator-fan and switched to an electrical and gained 10bhp on it.

So I think it's quite possible that you could get a 20hp "gain" with a pump like that. It would sure be interesting to measure hp before and after switching to an electrical waterpump.

I think that the power-increase is due to that the engine doesn't waste power on turning a mechanical pump.

I've heard of some volvo-engine that had a mechanical radiator-fan and switched to an electrical and gained 10bhp on it.

So I think it's quite possible that you could get a 20hp "gain" with a pump like that. It would sure be interesting to measure hp before and after switching to an electrical waterpump.

hahah, nice one!

Guest adegnes

yepp, you shure gain power using an electrical pump, not shure about this one though... <_<

Hey August,

Can you provide more details why the RD rad isn't going to work? Clearance issues - or functionality issues? Are you talking about using the stock fan set up - or a thin sucker fan? My car has the magnetic fan assembly gutted to just a pulley with a slimline sucker fan doing the cooling - works awesome and there's space. Could also go with a pusher fan on the grill side of the rad if you're really tight for space to.

If it were clearance I would think that you could tweek the header panel easier than switching to electric water pumps.

I have experience with electric pumps - but they were designed as bolt on's to the motor (SBC 350's and such). There was another stand alone water pump I used for a portable welder that worked great for that application - but it was designed for drag cars - not enough volume for a daily driver.

What might work better for you however would be to use a 12V electric motor to run the stock waterpump. I've seen guys run kits that sping the water pump at a constant speed - so you get gains in less power consumption, plus it turns at a steady rate which is better for cooling since the water isn't being pumped at too high of velocities - such as at redline and such.

I've seen the set up on some drag V8's - that were daily drivers - so it might be an option.

Can you provide more details why the RD rad isn't going to work? Clearance issues - or functionality issues? Are you talking about using the stock fan set up - or a thin sucker fan? My car has the magnetic fan assembly gutted to just a pulling with a slimline sucker fan doing the cooling - works awesome and there's space. Could also go with a pusher fan on the grill side of the rad if you're really tight for space to.

If it were clearance I would think that you could tweek the header panel easier than switching to electric water pumps.

it is clearance issues. when the radiator was made i asked for the SLIM fan to be offset to the passenger side so i could hopefully clear the mech fan clutch. they didn't off set it, and there was NO way it was going to fit. i sent it back, and they offset the fan, but it still wont fit. because the radiator is so much thicker then stock, the clearance to the fan clutch is already pretty close. i had the pulley completely removed from the water pump so i could get an idea of what was going on when i reinstalled, but there's no way i can run the pulley in the stock location, and run the fan setup i currently have. i was thinking of going to an electric pump when they messed up the first time, but happily sent it back. now that i'm back in electric pump ville i'm not sure what to do. if i could use the stock setup, in any way that's totally what i'd prefer. but it really isn't looking possible.

as far as running a push fan, i would, but the FMIC is going to take up most room where the ac condenser *was*.

I dunno about going the electric water pump route. If cost is a factor, even getting the W-H unit would be cheaper. You don't want any low-buck thinking to permiate any aspect of the cooling system.

Google "electric water pump" "daily driver"

Meziere seems to be the brand of choice out there with the V8 crowd.

i've heard good things about mazeire pumps as well, but not cheap eh? i think it is going to be expensive, but if i can get a GOOD setup, and possible match or improve over the stock system i'll be happy.

how about setting up some kinda after run deal so the pump and fan will go on after the car is off and things are hot?!?

how about setting up some kinda after run deal so the pump and fan will go on after the car is off and things are hot?!?

That would be a clear benefit above and beyond what the factory system offers. Seeing that the engine is an iron/aluminum configuration, I wonder how many have gone to the grave early because of heat soak. Especially with that fat SP51 you're going to bolt on it, no? <_<

What about a thinner profile fan? Or even using two smaller fans? With two smaller fans mounted they would have a much thinner profile and would still cover enough area to cool sufficently. Means messing about with fan mounting yet again - but it would allow you to keep the stock pump set up - which is likely the ideal way to do it.

It's a tough call since you want to have it "right" - but if the offset isn't doing it for you then I wonder if just getting a custom pulley would help. Curious - is it depth that's causing clearance, or will the pulley diameter hit the fan motor too?

Took a look at the blog pics again and it's a gorgeous set up - just needs to get massaged to work!

Took a look at the blog pics again and it's a gorgeous set up - just needs to get massaged to work!

i'll have to try to find some 'action' shots or something. even with a custom pulley the fan motor would still contact the pulley. the idea of going with another fan setup is a good one, and i might have to fall back on that, but the fan mounts are like custom made INTO the top and bottom of the radiator. if i wanted new mounts setup i really don't know how i'd do it.

i need to call around and see what i can find about water pump. and i guess just go from there.

i also had a custom bracket made for the wastegate to bolt onto the T04 compressor housing. i'm not sure, but it looks like it might contact the block, which is going to slow things down once again. everything else *should* be in the bag, so i can get the thing running soon.

The set up that you have is sweet - no doubt - but the slim line fan I used is held on with these zip ties that go through the rows through a large round zip lock... It's all fairly light weight - and while skeptical it hasn't budged for years - and I autorossed the car.

There may be other methods to attach if you prefer, but these plastic zip fastners that came with the fan didn't even damage the fins...

The only other thing I can think of is if you found a way to move the fan closer to the header panel to get more clearance...

Rabin

here we go, this should give you a better idea of whats going on.

although the fan is still centered, you get an idea of the height of the fan motor......

clearance2.jpg

clearance3.jpg

the ideas of canning this fan and going with some even low(er) profile fan(s) is a good idea though. something to think about for sure...