Bellhousing Pattern for XD3T

MarkL

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a bellhousing adapter to go from a XD3T engine I recently freshened up to a Chrysler A833 for a D100. Does anyone have the dimensions or CAD drawings from the three bolts in the rear. I am trying to make an adapter I can cut on my CNC. 

Thanks in advance for any information!!!

IMG_0137.jpg

Sorry - Don’t know of any that would exist.  Easiest would be if someone local to you could scan it - Even some newer phones have the ability to scan.

I do have to ask if it would be easier to use the Peugeot transmission and adapt the driveshaft instead?

Rabin

When I purchased the engine it did not come with the transmission. Peugeots are hard to come by in Pennsylvania and have only seen one other xd3t for sale. Thought the diesel was perfect since in the 604 it was slanted 20 degrees like the slant six that was in the truck.

No real need for a scan with such simple geometry.

Screw a partially threaded bolt on the top, stick pins on the bottom two + the crank and mesure all distances and diameters with long vernier calipers. If you're not good with CAD software and want a .DXF file I can make you one at work around next week.

Scan just makes it dead simple to get all sorts of other measurements in one shot which would make it easier to ensure the clutch is going to work at the transmission is spaced properly.

Did engine come with flywheel?  Will you use the dodge friction disk with the Peugeot pressure plate?

Peugeot Holm in VT might have what you need.

Rabin

I have tried to measure the bellhousing and I do not have a set of calipers long enough to get a decent measurement of the bellhousing. If you have one and throw me a dxf file that would be amazing. I am decent with cad and have my SolidWorks cswa. I would prefer to cut it as one part on my cnc. 

I am using the slant six flywheel and clutch assembly since the slant is a internally balanced motor. The spacing between the back of the bellhousing and crank is within a few thousandths between the two engines. So when I make the adapter I will just space the flywheel off the same amount to make sure the flywheel sits exactly where it was on the slant. 

Wow - That sounds like even more work to fit the flywheel to the XD3T crank.  Are you welding up the center mounting holes and machining the center to fit the crank then?

I admire the ingenuity - but I’m lazy so my mind would go to finding a manual trans diesel parts and then adapting the driveshaft to suit

Have you worked out the gear ratios and final drive?  Diesels rev a fair bit lower and don’t usually work well with gas engine gearing.

Rabin

Could you machine bolts to a point and then thread them into the holes?  That way you could use them into the holes and then transfer them to a sheet of plywood or something similar.

Might work for the crank center as well in relation to the block pins.

Once marked - should be easy to measure accurately…

Rabin

Since the bolt pattern on the flywheel was slightly smaller I was able to transfer the holes to the flywheel already using a 3d printed adapter and bolts drilled to a point to keep it centered with the piolet bearing. I tried the same for the bellhousing but the dowel pins never lined up exactly right which is why I would prefer a cad model.

The truck had a A833 which is an overdrive transmission and when I drove it the truck at about 80 mph it would sit at 2.5k rpm. The overdrive ratio is 0.73 to 1. 

14 hours ago, MarkL said:

I have tried to measure the bellhousing and I do not have a set of calipers long enough to get a decent measurement of the bellhousing. If you have one and throw me a dxf file that would be amazing

I could maybe borrow long calipers... but I don't have a XD3T at hand.

• 4 weeks later...

So I got the engine bolted to the transmission and in the truck and motor mounts made. Does anyone know the correct fuel pressure with the Bosch pump. I wanted to make sure the pressure was good before adjusting the injection pump. 

Oh sorry, here are some photos. I will need to get a photo of the injection pump tomorrow. I will link a video of it running before I put it in the car. No I did not run it long enough to cause any damage. I cut the adapter plate out of aluminum on my CNC.IMG_0367.thumb.jpg.f69987fda73e6e58c182c9b07ab6b35a.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

Engine sounded nice - Why did you think it would cause damage?

Adapter and flywheel set up looks great - Pressure plate and clutch look massive!

Sorry - I may have misunderstood your pump request.  Pump timing is adjusted by clocking the injection pump, but never heard of measuring pump pressures on the car.  Most diesel heads I know advise timing by ear on older cars, but pump pressures aren’t really a concern unless your injectors aren’t firing properly as they’ve got set pop pressure that has to be hit before opening.

Rabin

Yeah, usually engines have a lift pump spec pressure to the injection pump to make sure they're getting enough supply. I didn't know if it was something to actively look for on these engines.

Peugeot’s never had lift pumps, just a primer on the filter head.

Definitely want to do a lift pump and a modern filter head on my cars though - Just haven’t figured out what that looks like yet.

Rabin

Finally got coolant lines, power steering and braking figured out. 

What kind of lubrication does the vacuum pump take. I was told by previous owner of the engine to fill with atf so I filled it half way but it puked fluid out the front seal when running. Am I filling it wrong or is the front seal on the pump bad?

Side questions:

Am I doing any damage using a <10 psi pump to feed the engine, will the excess fuel go out the return line? 

Is there any method you recommend the correctly set the injection pump timing and fast idle cold start adjustments? 

• 1 month later...

So I have it running and driving in the truck.

Couple of questions:

What temperature thermostat did the engine have in it stock?  Right now it has a 140F in it and that seems way too cold.

On my engine I see blocked off lines that look like they went to a oil cooler. Did these cars come with an oil cooler stock? Is there a thermostat in the oil cooler to regulate flow cause I don't see how they were able to just block off the oil cooler lines.

Does anyone know the max EGT temp recommended post turbo for this motor?