Volvo V70 R

Bean

Hey guys,

We finally decided to get a decent family car. After searching for a decent AWD station wagon - I ended up ruling out the Subaru Legacy. We wanted to pay decent $$ for the new ride, and I wanted something that was going to remind me of a newer Peugeot rather than something generic. 00 - 04 Subaru's fall too far into the generic field - and the 05+ restyled ones are out of our budget.

So after searching I came across the 98 - 00 V70 series cars. I actually test drove a local V70 XC (cross country) and you could really feel the difference in quality over the Subaru. That particular car just wasn't up to snuff with no detailed maintenance history so we passed on it.

I've now found a gorgeous 00' V70 R that we have a deposit on, and if all goes well we travel this Saturday to check it out. On paper and from what I've researched they seem to be a nice car if it was maintained, but it can be terrible if it hasn't. This particular car has 120000 KM, and there's a maintenance history since new.V70R pics from the dealer

Specs are nice too: 261 HP, AWD, 5-sp auto, power everything, and it's a rare colour combo. (Dark Blue with dark grey interior.)

I welcome any comments anyone may have about this car. I've done a pile of research and I'm quite ready for it's known issues - but if anyone can provide additional info I'd appreciate it!

Rabin

BTW - My 505 Turbo is not being forgotten - she's just getting a younger adopted sister to do all the daily duties. :)

Here in Holland the Volvo's are known as good quality spacious cars. I know Volvo's that are daily used for over 40 years and still driving fine. The only brand that can compete with that is Mercedes. Unfortunately, the comfort can not be compared to that of French cars. At least not when where talking baout pre 1990 cars. The last years there is not so much difference between european brands. They all buying the best parts from each factory so that they all produce virtually the same cars. Not entirely true, but it's heading that way and I think it's a pity all this globalisation.

So overall, it seems a good car to me that can do hundreds of thousand kilometers more.

Good car. There is couple of hundreds of those in my working place parking area :) T5R T2.5 etc... I like those rear-driven models and 4wd models only when talking Volvo. I dislike those front-driven ones with more power (like my Saab) :D 270hp in engine is not so nice to use.

V-M

• 2 months later...