Just a few ????

Guest puck_supra

1. If you can afford to get an honest 300 from a N9T, then you got enough cash to get a real nice MK3 Supra or even a MKIV.

an non turbo mkiv? i really like the mkiv's, but a 6 speed twin turbo wasn't cheap last i looked.

i personally don't think 300hp is $10k away for a already good running N9TE/A, but we'll see :huh:

True..

The supra engines are (as far as i know) regarded as some of the best, and most reliable turbo engines made in the 80-90's and very well engeneered. ..

In compairison, the pug 2.2's are of "ancient" crystler 180 origin, hastely re-developed to fill a need for an engine to use in crystlers europeean cars in the early 80's... they will never match the Toyotas.

i can totally see that. i once heard a stock turbo mkiv block can handle 1000hp. do either of you know if that's a legit claim?

an non turbo mkiv? i really like the mkiv's, but a 6 speed twin turbo wasn't cheap last i looked.

Ya, but realistically, what's it gonna take to get a N9T to do 300+ all day?

• A crate engine from Danielson?
  • High end engine management (Autronic, Motec, etc.)

Right there you're at $10K if you do it on the cheap. Yup, that's not MKIV territory, but I've some some outstanding last gen MKIIIs (91-92) go for that kind of money.

i personally don't think 300hp is $10k away for a already good running N9TE/A, but we'll see :huh:

i can totally see that. i once heard a stock turbo mkiv block can handle 1000hp. do either of you know if that's a legit claim?

The N9T is a similar engine to the M Toyota engine. Mid eighties L tronic bad boy. Except the M has 4 valves per cylinder and is .8 liters bigger. I've known scores of guys that who's wallets have crashed against the cruel rocky shores of engine upgrades. Blood, sweat and tears and still not what they wanted. Sure, some did it well. But for every guy who runs well, there are 5 blown engines.

All I'm saying is that it's just as hard to do a N9T engine as a 7M except parts are rarer than shit and it's not as good as a starting point to begin with.

I think most of the 1000HP guys did a little bottom end work. But, I know more than one guy who did 900 on a stock 2J block.

http://www.t04r.com/to4r.php

I'm not looking to pee in anybody's Cheerio's®, but people who aren't familiar with these engines should be given the straight dope. Those of us who've been around the List and other places for a few years have heard way too many N9T sob stories. In fact, it's precisely the scarcity of basic N9T parts that keeps me from going down this path. If I get the money, I will go for a crate engine and all the goodies, but short of that, I feel my efforts would't meet my expectations.

That said, I think the current efforts by guys on this board to do good stuff are very valid. FMIC, turbos, exhaust. All critical things that have to be sorted out right before any serious HP is on the table. I'd like to see a little more about fuel.

i know we've heard about n9t problems, but how many people have had those problems in result of the search for more power? head cracking happens to the stockest of stock N9T's being driven normally (as you know).

i think you were on peugeot-l back in the jim lill, jonathan mccurry and joe grubbs days eh? mccurry had 3 cars that he trashed the hell out of, that joe worked on. all running well over 15psi, some with danileson stage I kits etc. how many engine problems did they have? none. no cracked heads, no cracked pistons, no damaged rod bearings. that always amazed me.

the grey project car on this site was impressive as well. well over 15psi for over a year as a daily driver + hard driven track car. no cracked head(s), but the pistons were what cracked and ended part one for the car. i guess it wasn't a big surprise as there was a lot of guessing as to what kind of fuel mixture to run (i guess 1 year of detonation was all the OE pistons could handle :huh:)

Great discussion!

The I6 Toyota is a great motor - but it's also very well known to eat head gaskets as well - so it certainly isn't bullet proof as it's reputation sometimes indicates. Don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic motor - but it has it's own issues as well.

I also agree with August in that N9TE has a crazy potential in a very well designed little engine. I disagree with the notion that it wasn't engineered well - it's quite over built structurally, and I also think that the cracked heads issue is preventable occurance. Look at Victors car - or the results that Joe and Jonathan got.

That being said - with some machining the engines can take a Ford 2.3L piston (Forged MAHLE piston is stock) which takes the motor to 2.5L. Put a decent engine management system on it and the internal bits of the motor should easily do 300 +HP all day long. Turbo dodge motors are a dime a dozen - but they can make 300 HP all day long with modest mods and heads that don't even flow close to as good as the Peugeot's. When I showed my TD buddy the flow numbers August's head was doing - he was shocked. So there's huge potential - just not a whole lot of guys crazy enough to do it!

Rabin

Guest puck_supra
:lol:;):blink: WOW....I guess I am lost for words. Well lets start here. Ok so 300 hp out of a 505 is going to cost some $$$. And I can see you guys like the 7m supra engine. Ok I will break down the the story. The 505 is payed for. It need some boby work and rear control arms. The supra on the other hand isnt payed for yet :huh: The supra was just painted but it has 180000 on it. So it is about time for a complete overhual. And the cops in this town know the supra (106 in a 55) so they keep an eye on it. Another thing is that I hate being like everyone else. All the kids around here think honda is king. I personly dont like them. No one around here puts the money into them to make them fast ether. (exsample) Most of the cut off the muffler weld on a big can stuff on a cheap cold air and claim to run 110 in the 1/4. My 95 neon with a mildy ported head could beat almost every thing in town. (I could only squeese 85 out of the neon. Kinda weired I could out run a car that was doing 110?) Well that was tell I split the tranny in half. (diffarental pin fell out and pushed the spider gears out threw the side case.) hhhmmm I guess I kinda got off track..... Well basicly I want to build up the 505 cus almost no one knows what it is. And no one around here would ever try to get power out of it. If it takes a ton of $$$ to do it I guess I will have to spend it. Beside it is only money not like I got anything better to do with it other than spend it. B) I know that I am going to get the car in running and drive it around and work all the bugs out of it thow befor I try to squees power out of it. So I will keep you posted on the progress of the car and i am alwas open to and idea anyone might have.

• 3 months later...