Electrical problem

Marc

From Marc:

Yes, i keep unwrappng the wires going to the starter and replacing the ends that had some cracks, the rest of the wires look good over to where they make a sharp turn and go up the side of the engine, maybe the been is where the problem is i don't know yet. I know that the relays by the fuse box the one that has the plastic dio plugged in to it doesn't get power accept to only one post and now the car will not start and it's turning over from the key after i replaced the ends to said wires. The strange thing is that when i turn off the map light the windows and heater fan goes off with the key off and when the key is on they go off. I have replaced the dash board a few months ago andtoday i thought that the big wrappings of wires behind the drivers side of the dash board might tell me something and i look them over and can't see any breaks and the wires leading to the key switch seem to be just fine. I guess it might be in the been leading up the side of the engine.

Hi Marc,

Do you mean diode?  Can you take a picture and attach to your post?

These cars have three relays above the brake booster (ABS unit?) which is a common source of problems.  I wouldn't replace parts without proper diagnostic or it gets very expensive,  and veey frustrating.

Rabin

My 505 STX heater fan ground and hot wirea are both getting current causing the heater fan and windows to work only when the key is in the off position. I can't find any fused wires going to or from the key swith. This began after a copper wire inside my starter broke and fried the inside. I have replaced the starter and the car was starting, now it will not start. My question is: is it possible that the ignition module can cause this power problem at the fan if it's burned out and somehow fusing the power current.

The electrical block on the ingition switch should be removable.  It's possible that when the starter shorted it out it fried the ignition switch contacts.

Since the the heater and windows work when key is off, and stop working when key is turned it has to be the switch itself, or the wires that go to the switch that are shorting out.

Switch wiring block is my guess.

And no - ignition module will not be part of the problem related to the windows or heater staying on.

Rabin

5 hours ago, Marc said:

The measure thing i don't understand and its not the switch because the car came with a spare and neither one stops the fan ect. and I've checked the wires at the key switch and all over the car a hundred times, could it be inside the fan motar itself.

^Quoted from Marc's reply.

The only way for the heater motor to get power with the key off is a short in the wiring.  

The fact that they have power when key is off, and power switches off with the key on proves the wires going to the ignition switch are involved.

It can not be the fan as none of the circuits even have power unless the ignition switch connection is made.

Since the wires don't show any visible signs of melting, you'll need to use a multimeter to test which wire is connected to which wire. (With battery disconnected there will be continuity between the two wires.  Once you know which two wires you need to follow and separate each one until you find the short. 

A basic understanding of DC electrically circuits, and how to test circuits with a multi-meter is what you need to start learning.  (You-tube / Google etc etc)   You should be able to figure which wire is getting power when it shouldn't be - but talking you through this will be exceptionally difficult if you're not familiar with how to troubleshoot DC electrical circuits.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Marc - I used the "merge" feature to combine all three of your Electrical Problem posts into one - and it didn't merge them at all...  Looks like there was a bug in the previous release when "splitting" topics so I'm assuming it also had an issue with merging as well.

I've upgraded the site to the latest release so it shouldn't happen again - but also a friendly reminder to post in the same topic rather than create multipes.

Thanks,

Rabin