82 604 TD auto, nice body, in California

Joe Ernest

Hi All,

I came across this 604, a running, driveable project, I'd love to keep it, but I've already got 5 cars registered and insured, and just the 1 driver.

The transmission does not work in reverse, the brakes barely work (bad booster diaphragm?), the carpets have been removed, door cards and seats are shot, as is dash, ignition switch, There is  a minimal exhaust system, with sidewinder trumpet. The roof had lots of surface rust so the owner cleaned and panted it with a bed liner type sealant. but the body and paint are in remarkable condition. I drove it around the block while the civilized world was at prayer, and the engine pulled well, the steering and suspension were tight.

I am interested in the car, mostly for the engine and maybe the goofy low bean LEDs.       I plan to buy it..

The car seems like an ideal candidate for a restoration, the body is so nice it really should be saved,     Would anyone be interested in  the body (complete car, less engine) or trading the car for an engine,

20160813_122142_resized_1.jpg

20160813_122147_resized_1.jpg

20160813_122151_resized_1.jpg

20160813_122154_resized_1.jpg

20160813_122137.jpg

20160813_122127.jpg

20160813_122119.jpg

20160813_122107.jpg

This does indeed look very interesting.  I wouldn't want the engine in any case as I'm a V6 guy, so maybe we can work something out, Joe?  Where is the car located and where are you exactly? This looks, body-wise, better than any of my present 604s so it might be worth a road trip!

Joe:

I'm in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada.  It's a long drive from you but I've done it before.  Last year I brought 2 505s from the Sacramento area back home.  This fall I have to make another trip to get more.  If it's not urgent that the car move (ie. it can sit somewhere for a few months) then I can probably take it.  Have you thought about what you would ask for the body minus the engine and any other parts you need?

Goce:

I would be very interested in that engine.  What do you want for it?  How many kilometers on it?  It looks like the shipping might be expensive to get it to Canada but I'd love to put that engine in a 604, or perhaps my 505 STX. Either way, I'd like more information!

Hugh, the engine came out of my daily driver 605, i did an engine and box swap for a XUD11ate (turbo diesel) only because the high fuel prices in my country, the car itself was a government car, part of the presidential convoy, which means the cars has been serviced at the main dealer and cared for with military precision, the car had 150,000km on the speedo when i pull the engine, macedonia is very small country, i drove this engine couple of weeks and it is in great shape, no oil burning, starts every time on the first crank, (no cranking to start) and revs extremely easy, i can compare it with sport bikes that much free revving, and makes lots of power and torque, it's setup for automatic, as for shipping you should ask, you may be surprised, macedonia is in middle of europe, all the shipping roots came here, should be cheap.

HI Hugh,

I will bring the car to my house in Fresno, and park it where an MB 300 SD sat until Thursday. Talk about a lawn art upgrade! I can tarp up the 604, or better maybe to erect a tent over it to keep tarps off the paint.

What would I want for the  604 body? Don't really know, I have absolutely no idea what a 604 body is worth. So, make me an offer, and don't worry, I'm not easily insulted.

JoE

• 4 weeks later...