How to adjust the distributor on 505 turbo -86

Hello people.

I just bought myself a -86 505 Turbo (should be 180bhp here in Norway I´ve been told) that´s been standing for 13 years now.

One of many things that was taken off the engine was of course the distributor.

I have it, but how to know witch position i should mount it in? It´s a hall sensor there that i recon goes to the ecu, and probably it wouldn't start unless its really close to where it should be?

From my nick I´m obviously an Alfa Romeo guy, but I had a -86 505 GTI in 2003, and has since wanted a turbo without really doing much about it. Anyway they are quite rare up here. I guess I se them for sale maybe once a year or even every second year.

Another thing. Where could I read the engine code? To verify what bhp modell this car actually is?

Thanks,

Ronny

The injection ecu don't care about TDC but obviously ignition need to be timed to start the engine.

You will find the engine code on the left of the block, near the starter motor.

Is you engine with or witout catalytic converter?

It´s without. Normally cars in Norway dont have catalytic converters before 88/89

Regarding the distributor. Whats normal procedure when mounting it bak on the engine to be able to start again?

Stroboscopic lamp, whe need the engine code to know for sure the right timing.

I will try to find the engine code tomorrow morning. Right now its 01:00 am here. I just hope i manage to find the code. It does not look like its very visible from the top of the engine bay, or should it be?

And the number I´m looking for, its the 176 (and a letter) number you need?

Welcome to the forum!

Distributor: Engine needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke, and then you install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at #1 plug. That will start the car, then you need a timing light to time it once running. (8 degrees with closed throttle switch triggered)

Compression stroke: Pull the #1 plug closest to bellhousing, and put/seal a hose over plug hole. Rotate engine to TDC and when air pushes out of the hose as the mark approaches TDC - that is the compression stroke.

180HP - North American cars have electrically controlled wastegates with engine code N9TEA, and they run 12 psi. I would guess your wastegate should also be 12 psi.

Rabin

Welcome to the forum!

Distributor: Engine needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke, and then you install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at #1 plug. That will start the car, then you need a timing light to time it once running. (8 degrees with closed throttle switch triggered)

Compression stroke: Pull the #1 plug closest to bellhousing, and put/seal a hose over plug hole. Rotate engine to TDC and when air pushes out of the hose as the mark approaches TDC - that is the compression stroke.

180HP - North American cars have electrically controlled wastegates with engine code N9TEA, and they run 12 psi. I would guess your wastegate should also be 12 psi.

Rabin

Finaly I manage to find the engine code. I could not see it, but after maby 15 minutes of trying to film it, i took a picture with my phone, and could see it is 176 C. And as I said the car is without catalytic converter.

Basic engines are same from 150-180hp. Only diffrencies was. 150hp was no intercooler -84 models. 160hp was intercooler one -85. from -86 there was 180hp with or without lamda and cat depending country specifications. Some -86 -> -87 was with 160hp (sweden and switzerland). Not sure about us versions. 160hp version is 0.6bar and 180hp is with 0.8bar. So engine code does not mater, from 176 A -> C are basically same engines.

V-M

Ignition is different between these engines: the N9T seems to have been fitted with a classic transistorised ignition and just a knock detection module, on the non cat N9TE there is an ignition curve box with two curves depending the turbo pressure and on the cat N9TE and N9TEA there is a state of the art Bosch EZK unit.

Aside for intercooling precise ignition timing control with efficient knock detection was the key of power increase on those early turbo years.

Letter is for emission categorize

A = 150Hp no intercooler, Comp ratio 7,5

B = 160Hp intercooler, comp ratio 8

C = 180hp intercooler, comp ratio 8

X = xxxhp intercooler, comp ratio 7,5 (USA)

Y = xxxhp intercooler, comp ratio 8 (sweden/switzerland)

Z = xxxhp intercooler, comp ratio 7 (USA)

W = 175hp intercooler, comp ratio 7 (exhanced emission)

V-M

I have almost the same from a Peugeot document, maybe not 100% acurate even if it's Peugeot:

A = N9T 150Hp, Comp ratio 7,5

B = N9TE 160Hp intercooler, comp ratio 8

C = N9TE 180hp intercooler, comp ratio 8

X = N9TE 150hp intercooler, comp ratio 7,5 catalytic converter

Y = N9TE xxxhp intercooler EGR, comp ratio 8

Z = N9T xxxhp (no intercooler ?), comp ratio 7.5 (USA)

W = N9TE (not N9TEA ?) 175hp intercooler, comp ratio 7.5 (emissions)

On Another Peugeot document I have 3 types of pistons: N9T cr 7.5, N9TE cr 8 and N9T/US cr 7

And in a third Peugeot document I have these pistons: N9T cr 7.5, N9TE cr 7.5 and N9TE cr 8

• 2 weeks later...