Custom in Finland

Guest CATALIN505

Tama - the car looks fantastic! Good luck on the engine rebuild.

You'll have to post details on the pistons and rods, as well as details for the wheels please... ;) I've looked at using Ford 2.3 turbo pistons in my rebuild, and have a set to use, but it'd be nice to document other ways guys are rebuilding engines too - for future reference.

Car also has a great stance so I'm curious what you did for suspension, and what wheel and tire size you are using...

Rabin

Hello Bean,

In those pictures the wheels are 17" and tires are 215/45/17.

The suspension in front is from Volvo 240 dsl and i've cutted the spings a little bit... And the rear springs are from Mercedes 190 (if i remember correct). That kind of suspension is quite stiff and it worked nicely in track too.

The pistons are from Volvo 240 2.1 Turbo. Engine type B21ET and they are oversize. std:s are 92mm and mine are 92,5mm

Rods are from Saab 900 and they are 134mm long. I had to lower the pistons 2mm to fit them correctly.

The pistons are made by Mahle and if I have undestood right they should be forged. With those pistons they get 350-400hp from Volvos...

Here is few pictures from the pistons and my head gasket.

-Tama

post-101-1193760277.jpg

post-101-1193760441.jpg

post-101-1193760494.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your car still looks awesome Tama!

I have a bunch of questions :( :

1. Have you done any dyno-runs yet?

2. What do you mean by lowering the pistons? ;)

3. I assume that headgasket was custom-made, how much did it cost?, how much boost will it hold?

4. What compression-ratio do you have in your engine with the volvo-pistons?

5. Could I get your ignition & fuel maps?

That looks like a great head gasket! Details and cost would be appreciated as it looks like it's a really well designed gasket. Those rings must bite nice and give a good seal - so I'm guessing boost potential is REALLY quite high with something like that...

Engine - When you talk of lowering the piston - was there enough room to just machine the Saab pin into the Volvo piston to adjust the height?

Thanks for the details too - very good info indeed. Can't wait to hear more once you get it done!

Rabin

That volvo piston fits to saab rod without modifications. Volvo piston comes 2mm over deck so that have to taken of but just left 0.1-0.2mm over deck to ensure better gasget hold in high pressure. Volvo pistons have lot of material over upper piston ring so that could be easily taken of by lathe.

If I remember correctly those gasget rings are re-usable but that grey part have to be ordered.

One of nicest issue is at saab rod dimensions (bearing+width) fits directly to main cam and saab rod bearings

are normal priced (~25€/4 rod set) and easily available. I have reserved couple sets of these volvo pistons and saab rods to build same if this my 96mm volvo piston project does not come alive ;)

V-M

So... If the Saab rods fit the crank (I think that's what you're saying) - can we not use the Saab bearings for our rods?

Is there a reason for using the Saab rods over the Peugeot ones? I thought the Peugeot ones were nice sturdy forged units that should be plenty strong enough for decent power.

BTW: What model Saab engine are the rods from?

Thanks for the info guys!

Rabin

Yep, outside diameter is wrong in those saab bearings.

Those saab ones mainly used cause:

1. cheap

2. easy to find

3. bearings cheap and easy to find

4. strong (can take same as original ones)

5. and all model (b201 and b202 rods are the same, turbo or not)

6. lighter than original

Engines are 2L engine. Used in 99 and 900 model saabs some where between 1975 -> 1995

V-M

Thanks V-M for the answer.

Like V-M told the rod fits to the piston without modifications.

I ordered that head gasket from Italy from http://www.navalineasport.it/

In finland we have a contact person who supply those gaskets. The gasket to turbo use cost 180 euros = 260 USD (now the dollar is really weak) with shipping. Those rings are reusable like V-M said and the rest of the gasket costs 80€ if you want to order it separately.

I think the gasket can handle lots of boost, the weakest part are the pistons, piston rings and the head. Knocking will kill the motor as I had to experience...

-Tama

Sorry Tama to fill my self on answers ;)

Any way that same address you can order custom pistons pretty deasant price, High quality turbo and race use.

V-M

Thanks for the help, because my English is not that good I really need some help to tell things clearly and understandable.

I'll get my pistons back tomorrow and I'll probably call you V-M and ask some advice how to smooth those edges after machining. Is sand paper ok?

Cool! If the outside diameter is bigger, then the rods can just be machined to accept them - common practice when an engine spins a bearing...

I'll have to track down a set now...

If that takes care of the rod bearings, then all we need is a replacement for the main bearings, and the engine should be rebuildable without too much trouble.

Tama - can you advise what part number the 505 Gasket was? I downloaded their catalog - but no listing for the N9TE was listed. It'd be a nice start - and I like the idea of a modern gasket like that rather than using a copper one now...

Thanks!

Rabin

Cool! If the outside diameter is bigger, then the rods can just be machined to accept them - common practice when an engine spins a bearing...

I'll have to track down a set now...

If that takes care of the rod bearings, then all we need is a replacement for the main bearings, and the engine should be rebuildable without too much trouble.

Tama - can you advise what part number the 505 Gasket was? I downloaded their catalog - but no listing for the N9TE was listed. It'd be a nice start - and I like the idea of a modern gasket like that rather than using a copper one now...

Thanks!

Rabin

Hello beam,

They make custom gaskets just to fit your use. This gasket can not be found from their catalog.

I sent the old gasket as a model and they made the gasket from the model. I adjusted a bit the thickness though... My gasket is a bit thicker than the original.

-Tama

Hello beam,

They make custom gaskets just to fit your use. This gasket can not be found from their catalog.

I sent the old gasket as a model and they made the gasket from the model. I adjusted a bit the thickness though... My gasket is a bit thicker than the original.

-Tama

What compression-ratio do you get with the volvo-pistons and the thicker gasket?

Guest adegnes

great!

the first time a MS map for the n9t has been on the internet! (at least that I've found...)

If I'll keep the engine and go MS, I'm shure it'll come in handy!

thanks Tama!

BTW, Your car looks awesome!

• 9 months later...

Nice thread! I want to get the Texas '88 revolution motors turbo now... To bad the paint's custom faded and it has no LSD... Maybe he can upgrade the reared to LSD for a little more money... Then I can drive it around until I save 10 grand to get it restored & repainted. HAHAHA!

But man, where is the air cleaner for the Turbo?! Sure way to destroy your turbo! And while the body kit isn't ugly I like the original bumpers better.

But man, where is the air cleaner for the Turbo?! Sure way to destroy your turbo! And while the body kit isn't ugly I like the original bumpers better.

Of course I use air cleaner when I drive.. But when im taking pictures it's nice to see the compressor wheel to estimate how big is the turbo...