Wanted XD3T engine , for 86 Turbo diesel Wagon

Joe Ernest

(and/or N9T? for 87 Turbo Wagon)

I could not resist an 86 505 TD SW on Ebay in LA a month or so ago.

On startup it rattles and smokes horribly, and then gets happier, if low on power.

I also grabbed a nice 87 Turbo wagon as a parts car, but maybe an engine transplant would be more appropriate.

I'm in Fresno CA, the cars are in LA. Joe Ernest [email protected] 559-297-3942

Congratulations on scoring two great wagons! We New Englanders can only dream about what your cars look like underneath and how nice they are to work on.

Smoky cold starts are usually due to lagging injection and valve timing, due to timing chain stretch. sometimes assisted by malfunctioning glowplugs, and possibly compounded by the thoughtless installation of a 3- or 4-notch headgasket where a 2-notch should be. The worst of the timing issue can usually be corrected by advancing the pump 3mm on its mount, and adjusting the valves. Be sure to mark the current position of the pump. You may want to restore it if you later go in and reset or replace the chain and tensioner. Glowplugs are readily checked, and replaced if bad.

Normal diesel knock is loud.in XD engines, but quieter when the timing is slow.

Without knowing more about your situation, I suspect you may be better off straightening out your engine than swapping if it has fewer than 200k miles.

I don't have any known good 3T engines for sale, but I probably have the parts to make one. I have several presumed good N9TE engines.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for the advice on the XD3T, I will certainly try your suggestions before I dive into a rebuild.

MY 86 SW TD has one rust spot, a silver dollar sized blemish above a rear wheel arch, and that's about it. My plan is to have it fully inspected, all fluids replaced/flushed, timing chain, valves,injectors and glowplugs all inspected, adjusted or replaced, and then cross my fingers and hope for the best when I turn the key. Hopefully that'll be all it needs, otherwise it will go on hold till when funds next come available....I'm supposed to pick up my 1988 Vanagon Westfalia Syncro TDI this weekend. My bank account quivers with fear.

Thank you for the offer of parts to make an XD3T, and of presumed good N9TEs. I would need to be certain that all the needed XD3T parts are there, and certain that the N9TE is a good runner before I dove into such a deal.

Back to the XD3T - Intercooling - do you know of any tried and tested or off the shelf/junkyard options for intercooling?

Thank you again..................JoE

I'm supposed to pick up my 1988 Vanagon Westfalia Syncro TDI this weekend.

little-known forum rule -- anyone purchasing a syncro is required to post photos. sorry, no flexibility on that. :)

seriously, would love to see photos of your recent peugeot acquisitions and (especially) the syncro when you have a chance. the two wagons -- were they the ones on CL parked in that driveway with the 504?

andré

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow - TDI synchro Westi is like the trifecta of Holy grails - much like the 86' 505 TD wagon and you have BOTH!

I have to second Andre's insistence of pictures - but please do both vehicles.

Intercooling - easiest way would be to clock the compressor housing so the oulet goes to the side and then you can pipe in a front mount intercooler fairly easily.

I also thought about doing an air to water IC, but simplicity of A2A is hard to beat.

Rabin