1980 505 carbureted engine rebuild.

momo4606

Hi I'm new to this form. I'm sooooo glad I found a community that loves 505s as much as I do. Recently I rebuilt the whole engine. New oil pump, bearings, piston rings, gasket set, everything. I tried to start it up and it didn't start. I had no compression. The engine was spinning too easily I felt. When I put on the timing chain I aligned the two marks to one another. The crank mark facing the camshaft mark. I've looked all over and can't find the right way to align them. The type of motor I have is the kind where the Pistons are on an angle facing the passenger side. It's a 4 cylinder. Any help would mean the world to me. I'm currently taking the bus to work. ?

Do you have any sort of manual - preferably the factory service manual?

There's an aweful lot of info needed to ensure it's assembled properly - one of the things it would cover would be cam set up.

Rabin

hi momo, welcome! it looks like you are from the middle east, correct? the 505 had two types of carbureted 4-cylinder engines -- the XM series (1.8 liter) and XN series (2.0 liters). to get factory service manual you need, you will need to know which version you have! also, with regard to the factory service manuals, peugeot typically made two different engine manuals for cars of this period -- the "checks, repairs and adjustment" manuals and the rebuild manuals. both are good to have, but you will definitely want the rebuild manual since it has the kind of detailed info that rabin is talking about.

you can find these manuals on various ebays (france, germany, UK, etc.) and some of them are even available for download on various websites. for example, peugeot505.info has the UK version "checks, repairs and adjustments" manual for the XM & XN motors available for download. the rebuild manuals are hard to find, i haven't seen them available for download anywhere so you'll probably have to buy a printed copy in a language you understand.

here in the US & Canada we only got the fuel-injected versions of the 505; which is why most of us don't have the manuals you should be looking for. we have lots of knowledgeable people on this forum (like rabin :) ), but for the type of specific information you need, you'll want the factory manual. bonne chance!

andré

I can help. If you have no compression we can work through it this way. You have the cam timing out and that is for sure. To fit a timing chain for correct factory set up will be peculiar to you! If you can get to read the manual would make it easier before we start.