NTC sensor test values and where to buy a new one

bergxu

Gents,

Can anyone advise on the values I'm looking for when testing the NTC sensor? All of a sudden, my '89 505 turbo is giving very rich (and hence difficult) starting--both hot and cold. Totally came out of the blue, so I'm putting my money on that having gone AWOL.

Also, I assume it's just a Bosch part, so can anyone advise on where to obtain a replacement in the event I do need one?

I can help a little. First up at 25 degrees the ECT should be around 1700 to 1800 ohms if it's L Jetronic. system I have experience with in all our Aussie Peugeot systems. The sensor is blue and has been used across the board from 505, 205,306,405.

I had a similar fault as you and it wasn't the ETC but a low volts supply to the air flow meter. A broken power terminal on the plug on the air flow meter. Low volts from the meter mean mucho air intaking. Very rich condition. The system is dead simple compared to today and I suggest you get a wiring diagram and ohm meter if these fixes don't help.

One other fault has been the start signal from the starter solenoid to the ecu. The pin gets 12 volt at start and gshould get earth when starter is dis engaged. Some solenoids have a fault here and can, at times, lose the earth connection inside them. A simple fix is to locate that wire at the ecu, cut it and earth it to the body. Works just fine, as long as it is earth properly.

The key to this stuff is to understand priority inputs and trim inputs to the ECU. The very basis inputs are, engine coolant temp, air flow and rpm. Trims are tps, lambda , air temp. The engine will run quite well without tps IAT, or lambda.

L, LE , LU, Motronic still uses that blue ETC sensor! I even recall the old Renix Renault with the equivalent to the zdj engine running that blue unit. Some parts list refer to it as an "injection switch, coolant".

I am happy to help go through the wiring if Rabin has the diagram, no worries.

• 4 weeks later...