new here

I am new at this forum. I am working on my latest project, installing a 505 turbo diesel into a nearly perfect 504 which my daughter drove for many years. Has anyone else done this conversion? Are there any unforeseen issues I will encounter? Any help in this new adventure will be very much appreciated.

Back in my Peugeot tech days, we installed an XD3T engine and 5 speed transmission into a 1981 504 wagon. The transmission mount had to be relocated to accommodate the BA10/5 transmission, but I suspect the 3 speed automatic would require no such customization.

As you'd guess, the engine itself fit perfectly, engine mounts and all. We had to find a place for the oil cooler and opted for one of the existing openings in the fascia behind the bumper. Because we were concerned about restricted airflow through the cooler, we also added the oil/coolant heat exchanger from a 405 Mi16--it gets sandwiched under the oil filter and was also a perfect fit.

The only other challenge was fitting an air filter. We used the unit from a 604 Turbodiesel, but that interfered with the hood prop rod when you tried to close the hood. I took a dowel and hammer and massaged a uniform looking dent into the filter canister to make room for the prop rod--problem solved.

The only thing I didn't like about that setup was the gearing. The wagon came with the non-turbo XD2 of course and 3 speed automatic. I believe it had the 4.11 axle. That combined with the 5 speed manual (and the much more usable low-RPM torque of the turbodiesel engine) just meant there was way too much shifting involved to keep the engine in its sweet spot. If I had to do it all over again, I'd try to fit a 3.08 or 3.46 axle.

Welcome to the forum!

As Joe mentioned it's been done a few times that I've seen, so it should be uneventful if you have both cars a available. If you only have the TD motor and you're wanting to mate it to the 504 transmission you will need to make sure it fits together. Starter gears and flywheel compatibility would be the big ones.

Can you be very specific on exactly what years and models you are working with and specific details on the swap? That would make it easier to help with any possible issues.

Rabin

Hi!

Thanks for the input, it was very helpful. I had figured the engine would bolt in without much issue but the accessories were the issue. JunktionFET addressed these issues well, the oil cooler and the air filter. Thank you Bean for your input... many years ago I swapped a transmission into a 504 and found the very issue you mentioned, the mating of the flywheel and the starter... OH MY!! I learned an important lesson then. My car is a 1979 504 3hp22 auromatic. The donor car WAS a 1981 505 turbo diesel that had been in a rather sever front end hit. the oil cooler and lines were destroyed as was the air filter and radiator and fan. I will be using the fan and radiator off the 504 unless I run into an issue with the upper radiator hose interfering with something. I will be needing the complete oil cooler setup, both the stock 505 cooler and the mi16 oil cooler. Any ideas of where these are available?? the peugeots in wrecking yards out here have disappeared completely as have many of the aftermarket suppliers. Any suggestions here?? I was able to remove the engine and 3hp22 trans complete and the exhaust system too. So at least part of my issues are resolved.I am in the process of resealing the engine to eliminate oil leaks, then will be removing the old n/a engine and installing turbo diesel. I am looking for a quick street car not a highway car so the low gears will stay [eventually to be replaced with a 5 speed as money and parts become available] and i want to 'up' the fuel delivery and the boost. How do I go about adjusting the turbo?? What is a safe level of boost?? It looks as if once the engine is installed the acess will be limited but on the engine stand acess is very good. Any help here would also be appreciated. If the forum needs more information, please ask, I will more than willing to answer any questions. Thanks in advance!

You're swap should be quite simple as you are swapping an XD2 out for the XD2S, and by swapping the transmission with it - it should be a bolt in affair I would think.

I would suggest considering going to an electric fan instead of the engine driven mechanical fan. Much better temp control, frees up power, and simple to do.

Parts: I'd try Peugeot Holm - Brian likey has all the parts you'd need. There's a vender section on the main page if you need something Brian doesn't have.

Turbo: Secret to TD performance is injection pump tuning. Go to www.autospeed.com and search for their series on tuning a 405 - fantastic article on how they tuned the Bosch VE pump on that car. I got a little crazy with my plans and I'm taking it a step further by making it a AAZ hybrd.

Rabin

hello and welcome. where in SoCal are you? i'm in west LA near UCLA.

the days of peugeots in wrecking yards in north america are pretty much gone...it's a big deal now when somebody finds one in a generic wrecking yard. in addition to brian holm, you can also check with ukit in el monte (US foreign auto service)...they both have staff and bills to pay, though, so their parts prices are a bit higher than wrecking yard prices. both ukit and brian holm are extremely knowledgeable and generous with their time & information, so they are worth a call...

andré