505 Speedo Cable

bill

I brought home Steffen's 85 gl wagon w/ an XN6 automatic.

God, I love this car. It just handles so nice.

Anyway, the upper speedometer cable broke. I have a used one from my 87 turbo. Am I barking up the wrong tree as far as compatibility?

Bill

• 1 month later...

Well, I swapped the cable out today. They are identical. It took me a while because I wasn't familiar with the grommet that goes into the firewall and its hard to get a good look at it because of the brake booster. I found the only way to get the old cable off was to get the grommet loose first, then disconnect it from the cable. Tie a string, and Bob's your uncle. 22-1/2 inches in length.

I noticed with the gps that the speedometer is reading about 9% faster than the actual speed. My turbo sedan is right on the money.

I am running Michelin MXV4 Primacy 205/60-15 (stock size). I got them for just shy of $500 for everything at a warehouse club. I bought them last year, and its probably one of the last sets made in that series.

The new cable is working great. Its pretty steady, whereas before it was really jumping around. The trip counter was not working before the cable broke, and now it is.