front shocks

ahing6

Out of curiosity are there any 505 members here still running original rebuildable front shock assemblies?

Or has anyone experienced them in the past and how do they compare to regular shock replacement inserts?

Page-501001.png

• 2 weeks later...

All my cars still have originals, but I have yet to rebuild a set for myself. Up until now I've just swapped good used ones in when the needed fixing, but I will need to rebuild my 89's old front struts soon.

Need to decide what motorcycle shock oil to use in them... :)

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

If only after market are available try to find koni or bilstein inserts. But surely used originals are available. Even unused front struts can be found ;) Also original rear HD (TD and turbo) struts are good if found new ones. I can post some teaser pict :D

BILD0594.jpg

That full replacement set with oil cans (in mid of pict) was found and bough from France in 2008

Here is also picture of original strut oil can (I used this when I rebuild my current ones)

BILD0595.jpg

V-M

It's been a few years. Brian Holm had the kits which were reasonably priced, I think around $20-25. A good vise is essential. The local auto parts store (autozone) had a spring compressor in their tool loaner program for free. It's a good idea to lube the needle bearings at the top while you are at it. It might be a good idea to go ahead and replace the ball joints. Motorcycle shock oil is fine, as well as hydraulic jack oil. The mc oil comes in different weights, no experience playing with that. It takes about 12 ounces per strut. I vaguely remember Brian telling me to turn the shaft away from where wear has occurred.

-Bill

Awww man...that's more than a tease VM.

I found this link which says for 404. Are they same as 505s?

i would think if were 504 may same as 505 but 404 not sure i was just 8 yr old when my cousin had a 404 and no way interested in cars yet.

http://spanish.alibaba.com/product-gs/peugeot-404-front-shock-absorber-358259080.html

I used the Monroes in my previous 505, worked ok but i never rode in originals so can't compare.

That Esso Oleo fluid oil what weight is it? Is Oleo aircraft Co.?

I also work on motorbikes, m-crossers so have fair knowledge of oil weights.

Bill you mention jack oil, so will that be around 10w?

my car still has the original front struts...i got a kit from western hemispheres that has the strut inserts, seals, etc. plus the oil. i don't remember what is cost, but it wasn't cheap. :)

IMG_7428.jpg

here's a closer pic of the oil; not sure what the sae equivalent of ezl 1025 is, rabin and others have said it's around 10w:

5acafa04.jpg

i also got the complete front strut assemblies from a member of this forum, they look like this:

520271_zps786b55dd.jpg

he had obtained them as part of a lot of parts & didn't need them because they are the one-piece front struts...

andré

Wow - I thought I was bad for hoarding parts! Most all my suspension parts are used - But I do have NOS one piece strut housings... (Andre: PM me if a trade interests you!)

My plan was to use Ohlins motorbike shock oil just because its Ohlins oil, but I was hoping to go for a wee bit stiffer damping with some 15W oil. AMSOIL shock oil is another possibility.

504 inserts will work in 505 struts, but I doubt 404 stuff will work.

Oh - I also have some KYB gas charged inserts for 504/505 struts. Never tried them, but came with a parts car.

Rabin