2WD 505 TD Expedition wagon idea...

Bean

Hi guys,

I've been checking out the Expedition Portal forums lately and the bug is a starting to bite...

As you guys know I've got a very long term build up of my 86' 505 TD wagon project, and I've just acquired another 86' 505 TD 5-sp sedan as a donor for it. (The 505 TD cold start car from the cold war motors YouTube video).

While my forum build thread has lacked updates, I've still been collecting parts and scheming its build up.

Plan has always been to build it into the ultimate summer family trip car, but after checking out the expedition builds people have built up, I'm thinking a 2WD Dangel type direction is needed for my car.

My question to the collective is what is the best way to lift the wagon? Ideally I'd like to lift it like Dangel did it - but I'm not real certain what that entails. Subaru guys build spacers and drop the whole powertrain and suspension down for a body lift which makes sense, but don't want to rock crawl with it - I'd rather fit 205/75/15 light truck highway tires with just enough lift to clear the rubber, which should still provide enough ground clearance to reach most campsites and such. Air ride of some sort might be an option as it would be nice to air up for the rough stuff and settle it down for highway.

Roof top tent, with a cargo rack, aux lighting and a push bar might be cool too.

Likely my Automotive ADD kicking in, but since I'm rebuilding the car anyway - this is just a slight style change of the existing ongoing project.

Thoughts, advice, and comments are very welcome...

Rabin

I posted this request to Peugeot-L a couple days ago as a way to spit ball ideas. Plan was to post here simultaneously, but I didnt quite get that done in time.

Cliff note update:

205/75/15 LT tires are ~2.3" taller than 205/60/15 tires so they should fit without hitting the front perches. Steffen confirmed he runs 205/65/15's up front with no issues as well.

I also think I may be able to get away with just a slight suspension lift to ensure adequate clearance. 2" Spacer above the struts should give me the added height in the front, but if needed it wouldn't be that hard to build spacers for both crossmembers up front and the tranny mount.

Idea is to just keep it as simple as possible while increasing the offroad capability of the car without impacting highway manners and handling too much.

The idea of it being an expedition type build is the cool part with a roof mount tent for sleeping, and added clearance for venturing into some cool camping areas.

My initial plans for the car was to actually lower it a little more as classy euro wagon / pavement only project, but after reading some of the overland adventure stories and seeing awesome Dangel 505 wagon pictures I think I have to make some changes so that the wagon has some decent offroad capabilities.

Yes Savo - I am going to embrace and love 1 foot wheel gap!

Rabin

It looks like Dangel built an entire subframe that appaears to attach at the front (via U shaped channels) and about 2/3 to the rear. Longer travel coil springs all around. Stock radius and control arms were deleted and new ones are a part of the custom subframe.

post-47-0-39227400-1406475363_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've been looking into this for my Volvo wagon. The volvo (740) guys do it by cutting the front strut tube, adding in a 2-1/2" extension and a spacer under the strut insert (to get more clearance with the spring seat on the strut). The rear is done by adding front springs from a Jeep Cherokee and longer shocks from a S-10 or similar. I haven't seen the suspension on a 505 but it could probably be done in a similar manner.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=257024

image_zps8aa58d25.jpg

7974851809_0fa52f0167_b.jpg

That pretty much nails what I'm going after except more like the dark red car with lime green wheels...

Extending the tubes is genius - not sure why it didn't occur to me as I will chop some out of my tubes when I lower my sedan. I might even splice two struts together so there's only one weld.

Dropping front cross member and powertrain fixes a lot of issues, so leaning towards that as well.

I basically want to be able to do hours of gravel / rougher secondary highways without flinching. The extra ground clearance for the odd trail exploration.

Still LOVE this idea a LOT - just need to get the damn thing safetied and plated this summer before I can start...

Rabin