XD/ZDJL/N9T engine mounts

...are very expensive and apparently difficult to come by new.

My new car needs them, and in lieu of purchasing a $300 pair of new ones, I've considered two other options:

1. Use (if possible) the simpler square rubber mounts as seen on the XD2 and XN6

- Has anyone done this?

2. Try a mount for another car. The Audi 100/200 engine mounts look very similar and I wonder if they could work? (see attached image). They are cheap-ish ($35) and I'm tempted to buy one just to see

post-47-0-40708800-1402587095_thumb.jpg

I've actually looked at this recently after replacing all the engine mounts on my'00 Volvo V70R - it literally transformed the car as the NVH levels went way down...

My thought was to use the Volvo ones as they do a great job, but I still need to part out my 850 parts car to see how hard it would be to combine parts.

Im also looking at Volvo engine ancilliaries for use on the N9TE motor... (I'd love to do a serpentine accessory belt)

Rabin

...are very expensive and apparently difficult to come by new.

i don't know that they're necessarily difficult to come by, alex (tealmax lion) seems to have them in stock pretty regularly. they are expensive, though, currently at 200 euros (about US$272 as i'm writing this) for the pair, plus shipping which puts them above $300. i'm sure that they're good quality -- alex sells nice stuff -- but i don't think there's anything intrinsically amazing about these mounts...they're expensive because they are a low-volume item. if you can figure out a "recipe" for adapting a universal or proprietary-but-commonly-available mount, i'm sure lots of people would appreciate it!

andré

I got the mount today and did a rough measurement with my calipers. Amazingly, the bolt spacing is so damn close (if not dead on), that merely some work with a stepped drill bit is all it would need at most to work. Now I haven't actually taken an old mount and meticulously compared... this was just me reaching down into the engine compartment and lining up my calipers with the bolt holes as best as I could.

:o

Who woulda thought...

More or less copied from my FB post:

Well I went ahead and took the old mount out to compare back to back. I had my hopes up over the prospect of a $20 almost-drop-in replacement. However it looks like some modification would be required to make this work. The Merc mount is just a bit too wide, and enlarging or reaming out the bolt holes enough to make it work will make it impossible to re-install the 13mm bolts that hold it to the engine block's bracket. There isn't enough meat on the the engine block's bracket (IMO) to risk enlarging those holes to compensate. Furthermore, the Merc mount is like 1/8" too tall. That could be fixed, as the base of the mount could easily be machined down. Overall though it's more custom work than I care to tackle, especially given how much vibration and torque that engine can apply to the mounts. I'll post pictures later