Rear Suspension Arms

tulaweb

"Holey" cow - I've never seen rust that bad, and I thought we had rusty cars!

Only explanation I can think of is it was previously replaced... I initially thought it was going to be the passenger side as often up here rust will worse on the passenger side. Explanation being that due to the crown of the road, salt will get washed to the sides of the roads, and therefore the passenger side gets exposed to more salt...

Rabin

I really don't think either one was ever replaced. Remember my mother was the only other owner of this car, so I've been aware of pretty much everything that's been done to it since it hit this side of the Atlantic. Sometimes I have difficulty remembering exactly which car had something done to it, but I doubt I would forget that something like that was done. I was wondering if the muffler protected it from spray on the right side. The other interesting thing was that my parts car (formerly known as Joe's car), rusted through the left rear suspension arm as well. That was up near the outer pivot point which looks to be the solidest part of this one, but still both of them went on the left side. Of the pair I got from Arun the right side is in much better shape than the left. Those came from an STX so I think the muffler is on the other side, which would blow my muffler theory. I just don't see what else would be different from one side to the other. Of course my right side is not good as new, but it's structurally in much better shape than this one.

Wow - I had no idea the diesel sedans had exhausts out the passenger side. I've only ever had gas sedans, and it wasn't until I got my TD wagon that I discovered the fuel tanks underneath on the driver side.

So curious if your fuel tank is in the trunk, and if so, what is under the trunk on the driver side?

Rabin

Fuel tank is in the trunk and nothing is underneath on the left side. I guess I'm not certain that all diesels have the exhaust on the right side but at least the 3 505s that I've had do. I can't remember where it was on the 504s. Since the exhaust manifold is on the right side of the engine, I assume that is the reason the rest of the exhaust is too. I don't know where it is on the gas 505s but I'm going to guess that the manifold is on the left on the gas 505s and that is why the exhaust goes down that side of the car.

My 76 504 has the manifold on the right, and the exhaust is on the right side as well - but the fuel tank is under the trunk on the left side.

Euro market 505's have the left side underside fuel tank location, and the exhaust exits the right side on those cars too.

All the gas Peugeots I know of have right side exhausts (except the V6 of course!), just like the diesel cars. I've always thought it was the fuel tank missing on the left side was why they ran the exit there.

Rabin

Just to bring this saga up to date:
I did finish the suspension arm on Friday. Since I had the caliper out, it was quite old, and I had a rebuilt one on hand, I figured I would put the new one in. When I ordered the caliper, a year or two ago, it was supposed to be semiloaded, including the bracket, but it came as just the caliper. As hard to find as these are, I didn't object, and put it aside for when I would need it later. Not surprisingly, when I went to take the old caliper out of it's bracket, I broke the plastic piece. I had 4 new ones on hand for such an occasion, but I couldn't find them. I ordered another one from France, just in case, and figured unless I first found the pieces I knew I had, I would get the caliper off the parts car, and put it on, bracket and all, so as not to disturb the plastic thingy. Saturday, as predicted it snowed so I couldn't readily work on either car. Sunday it rained which got rid of the snow but kept me from getting under the cars on my back outdoors. When I went to our storage unit to get some Christmas stuff, I took another look for the plastic pieces, despite having spent a couple of hours looking there previously. Well I found them. So today I have a bunch of other things to do, but hopefully, among them, I will get the caliper reassembled, bleed the brakes and be back in business.

DSCF3875a.jpg

DSCF3881a.jpg