Smog Check Time

TJP55

It's smog check time for my 1986 Peugeot 505 Gas Turbo in California.

Although it has always passed smog check before, this time I'm a little worried.

I've gone through my usual tune up routine of cleaning and regapping spark plugs, replacing the oil and oil filter, checking the timing, etc.

However, I've recently discovered wire 22 on the inner right fender. The manual says it should measure 7.2 volts plus or minus 0.2 volts.

Mine measures 5 volts? This means I'm running rich? What would cause this? The car runs fine. However the rpm at idle goes up and down a little.

In California, I'm not allowed to adjust the richness screw as any tampering would cause it to fail smog check.

Welcome to the forum!

How new is the O2 sensor itself? Injectors ever been cleaned / flow tested?

These are old cars now, so things like the O2 sensors and the injectors will need to be looked at as well to ensure they're functioning.

Heck - even the air filter can be an issue if its not clean.

Rabin

If you're handy and have some time you might want to consider installing a 4 wire O2 sensor...

4 wire sensors are heated so that they come up to temp faster and the ECU can go into closed loop sooner.

If you google "4 wire oxygen sensor upgrade" or something similar there's lots of info online.

Might not be worth the effort, but its something on my todo list... :)

Rabin

I replaced the O2 sensor, but the problem remains.

When I first start the car with the engine cold, I get 7.9 volts.

It stays at 7.9 volts as the engine warms up.

Then something kicks in and the reading drops to around 3.5 to 4 volts and stays in that range.