89 405 Mi16

EvanB

Just got home after a long day on the road. Started at 7am this morning and was home by 10pm. I picked up a 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16 on ebay for a rather good price. These are the only pictures I have of it now, more once I clean it up a bit and go through it.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

The list so far of what it needs:

• Front strut mounts, they are totally shot.
  • The power steering pump doesn't sound too happy.
  • Timing belt, the change interval is 37k miles and I don't know exactly when it was last changed although the owner said the owner before him said the owner before him changed it, which was about two years ago.
  • A tune up (both Italian and new parts)
  • Figure out why it doesn't idle when first started, you have to keep your foot on the gas until it warms up a bit.

Any ideas on where to get parts? I sent an email to Peugeot Holm regarding strut mounts. I priced them out on rockauto as well. I haven't had much luck with them in the past but I figured I would check. Over $100 for shipping on a set of strut mounts from Britain. :blink:

Try Madhu at Parts Network or Rob courtier at Javel Garage - both listed in the vender section.

I've owned or worked on a 405, so I won't be much help. Only think I can think of would be the equivalent of the cold start injector, or the idle stabilization valve - I'd guess it has an ISV and maybe a good cleaning would fix it. (Common Subie problem)

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on trying to figure out why it was having trouble starting.

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor with no luck. I decided to search online about the second "Bitron" sensor that controls the fans and A/C since you can't buy them anywhere I was trying to find resistance values or something. I found an old Yahoo board for the Mi16 and someone was describing a similar problem to mine. He discovered that the connectors for both sensors are exactly the same and may have been inadvertently switched at some point. He switched connectors and fixed the problem.

My problem apparently started when the previous previous owner had the clutch replaced so I was looking for things a "mechanic" would do to make it hard to start all of a sudden. Today I drove around for a bit to get the engine hot (the conditions where it has the most trouble starting) and then switched the connectors on the temp sensors. It started right up and idled perfectly! I love easy fixes.

TL;DR: Switched connectors on the two CTS and problem is fixed.

I forgot about this thread but I have one on GRM that I usually keep updated. If you want to follow along there there will probably be more frequent updates: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/89-peugeot-405-mi16/56613/page1/

Thanks for the update Evan!

And thanks for posting the link to the GRM forums - I keep meaning to check it out more, but time is a premium.

I'll have to bug Arun to post some of his pics from the rally-x event that was mentioned. Last minute suspension issues prevented him from doing really well, but pretty minor teething issues considering all the stuff he's done. Couple of the pics he sent clearly showed the Torsen diff made a big difference and he said it put the power down really well.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Guess it's time for a little update. I replaced the front struts and mounts with Bilstein B6s. I was hoping that would fix my front-end issues but just as I feared the lower control arm bushings are shot as well. Once I buy a set I will put them on but I am just driving it for now.

I was parked on the street a couple nights ago and someone must have clipped the front left corner because the turn signal lens is gone and the bumper is slightly dented.

Not much else to report, still running well and driving it daily.

I haven't really pushed it too much since the front end is a bit loose and frightening and the tires aren't the sportiest so no comments on the handling. On the highway it is fantastic, set the cruise and just go for miles. Although I am coming from a Miata with a race seat so that may mean my expectations are a bit low.

The 1.9L is a nice engine, it has decent torque down low for puttering around town but feels a little lazy. However, once you get about 4500 rpm or so it is a whole different animal. The power picks up and it zips right up to the redline. Around 3-4k rpm it is a little buzzy but that could be because the engine mounts aren't in the best shape. The transmission shifts pretty well for being FWD. Again, coming from a Miata with a fantastic transmission it's hard not be a little biased but it is better than other FWD manuals I have driven.

Overall I am starting to really enjoy it. I am planning on finishing the refresh of the front suspension so hopefully I will get to push it a little more after that. I will likely rallycross it at some point just for fun so I will give my impressions of that when the time comes.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well about a month ago 5th gear went out in my car and the shift linkage got very sloppy. I just got around to looking into it today and found out one of the rods on the shift linkage is gone, it must have fallen off. I have no idea where to find another one but I could probably make something work.

Also just about all the bushings in the front end are shot, it moves around a scary amount while driving. I may take the engine mounts out and fill them with a 2-part uerethane and replace the LCA bushings with a new set I have ready to go in.

• 2 weeks later...

The 405 died the other day on the road, cranks but no start. I let it sit a couple days and it started right up and ran for about 10 seconds then died. From some searching it may be a relay, but which one?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

I sold the Mi16 last week. The new owner emailed me saying he found the reason why the front end was so loose. I figured it was the bushings but there were actually two mounting nuts for the subframe completely gone. :blink:

Scary, but worked out as a pretty easy fix for cheap for the new owner - likely a damn good score actually.

If he's on the Grassroot's Motorsports forum - they may be posting up on this topic: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/easiest-fix-on-a-used-car-for-the-win/46845/page1/

:D

Hope you get to return to the fold in the future!

Rabin