Adding a non-factory spoiler to the 505 sedan

paraic

Since its well nigh on impossible to get a standard full spoiler like the 89 505s have, I was looking around for a custom model:

http://www.carccesso...-spoiler-j53301

is a spoiler I think might suit the 505. Of course its hard to tell until you stick it on and get a good look but I would like some feedback on anyone who has a non-factory spoiler or has tried it out.

Thanks

Paraic

there's a honda accord spoiler that fits our cars pretty well and looks not dissimilar to the original 89 style...i think rabin has one on one of his cars, and i saw a 505 at ukits that had this spoiler. if you do a search on this forum you can probably find pics of it.

off the top of my head, it's not the current generation accord or the one before but the one before that (98-02), but rabin would know for sure.

the accord spoiler doesn't have the "square shoulders" that the 89 505 spoiler has, but it has an integrated high-mounted brake light, so there's that.

andré

edit: here you go

The later model year Prelude's that were 88' or 89 have a spoiler that should work OK, I went with the Acura Integra sedan rear spoiler and it's a bit curvier than I'd like, but it fits well, has the nice LED brake light integrated into it, and it extends past the lid which is the part I really like. Still not 100% satisfied with it - but I prefer it's looks to the early Prelude spoilers that I've seen on Ukits cars. They changed the rear spoiler on the very last years of the Prelude and that spoiler might look a bit better - not sure.

The biggest hurdle I found was finding one that was wide enough to suit the trunk lid, be aerodynamic, and I wanted the LED brake light.

I may have to modify my current spoiler so that it fits the lines of the 505 trunk a litte better, but I still like the look.

Rabin

Rabin

I know what you mean about finding a spoiler wide enough - the 505 trunk is pretty wide in comparison to most.

This one will stretch all the way to each end of the car beyond the trunk and looks like it will do the job.

http://www.carccessory.com/product/spoiler/1999-acura-tl-spoiler-1681

However it might mean needing a second strut for the trunk as it adds another 20lbs to the trunk weight.

Paraic

I would park by random cars that I thought might be close, and measure directly off the cars only to find that they either weren't wide enough, or that the shape wasn't going to suit the VERY square 505. I used the same rear spoiler off that you see on the Honda Accord in the link, but was fitted to what appeared to be a square-ish Integra sedan trunk.

Once fitted to the trunk lid I thought it would look great, but once I fitted the spoiler to the trunk while mounted to the car I could see how the lines of the spoiler miss the corners of the trunk when mounted. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post what I mean. I have very particular tastes for what I like aesthetically, and the spoiler nails the look I wanted in all but a few angles.

Our CEO has that model year Acura (type S), but the rear spoiler looked too "swoopy" so I never bothered with it. The one shown in the picture looks tamer - so maybe the type S one is a bit more aggressive. I would find a car in the flesh to do some visualizations before ordering, but it does indeed look like a nice fit.

FWIW - the Honda rear spoiler weighs less than 10lbs and was much lighter than the stock 89' one that came off.

Rabin

• 1 year later...

If it is too wide it is not a problem, you can always cut and grind ABS polymer until it fits. I am only worryed about longitudinal curve because the spoiler goes longitudinaly in "U" shape with center to rear side, it is not straight. The 505 has also the boot in "U" shape but I beleave not so much as Challengers spoiler, I don't know.

The original 505 lip spoiler covers the nice curves above the rear lamps, visualy cuts rear lines, spoiler lines doesn't match with lamp surface, spoiler looks to low and to bossy to the rear side. With original 505 lip spoiler the car looks just a little bit longer and that is only preferment.

I contacted the seller Dodge Callenger lip spoiler from the link and he answered:

Hello,

The dimensions are:

Dimension from end to end:61"

Dimension from hole to hole: 51 1/2"
Since it was never tested on the
Peugeot, it will probably require some modification to fit especially since
it is a lip spoiler.

61"=154,9cm (155cm)

51 1/2"=129,5+1,27=130,77cm (131cm)

According to his answer I'll have to grind it, but it is not a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you considered modifying a stock 505 lip spoiler into something you like?

I've often thought of reshaping the stock trunk spoiler and making it smoother and extending it further back.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Why not try a 405 spoiler....

I recently bought used one for my 405 and placed on my 505 to see how it looks.

Not as ultra wide as original 505 but just fall within trunk lid edge.

Here some pics you can judge for yourself.

post-467-0-59947900-1409716330_thumb.jpg

post-467-0-14438600-1409716389_thumb.jpg

post-467-0-68791700-1409716642_thumb.jpg

Just not like the angle or maybe its studs making it tilt back too much.

post-467-0-49125000-1409716805_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...