86 505 TD injector fuel leak ?

jerro

Hi, i`m new here but i`ve only just found the site 6 months after getting my Peugeot! Ok, so she is a 1986, 505 sedan, 2.5 lt Turbo diesel auto, love her to bits. I live outside Seattle WA and been in the USA 5 years. My question is--- i took out the injectors to get new nozzles which i supplied put in by a shop. I took them out for the shop cos not a lot of shops seem to appreciate Peugeots, don`t know what they`re missing! Ok, so they put in the new nozzles and pop tested to 150. I put the injectors back in the car with new copper washers and heat shield `washers`. Starts well and nice smooth running engine. I checked for leaks after a run and 3 of the 4 injector bodies are leaking from where the two halves of each body join together, not from where the injector joins the `block`. Makes me think that at least i did my part of the job right!---Ok, here goes THE question. ##Can i put a `wrench`on the bottom half of the injector bodies and another wrench on the top half of the bodies and give them a little tweak to tighten the two halves together without taking all the injectors out of the block again? ## I can`t be bothered to take them all out again and take them back to the shop and have to put in new heat shields and copper washers! The two halves of the injector bodies were torqued to +-50 ft lbs when they were put back together--Any comments welcome--Thanks--Jerro

welcome!

i'm sorry to say that i don't know much about diesels -- maybe some of the other forum members can comment intelligently on your question...

when you get a chance, please post pics of your car...what i find particularly interesting about it is that it's a series 2 diesel -- you don't see too many of those around!

andré

Hi Jerro,

Any chance you can take the car to the shop that did the injectors? If the leak isn't bad and it's a short trip that might be better. If they screwed it up then they should hopefully address the issue themselves. If all it takes is more tightening then they can address it so that if anything happens (or doesn't happen) they can address it directly.

I also have virtually no diesel experience - but there's lots of diesel head lurkers here, as well as on a yahoo group called Peugeot-L. I'd recommend signing up on that list and posting there for sure.

If you do resolve it - make sure to post up the what the fix was. :)

Rabin

Hey Jerro, welcome to the site. There are a few of us diesel folks here like myself. Your 86 TD is quite rare being the only year offered in the second generation here in the states. Had one several years ago. Everything sounds like it was done properly but I have my doubts the injectors were torqued to 50lbs. 47lbs. in the book.

You can tweak them like you mentioned when cold and be careful. If there is even a slight movement in doing this will tell you they weren't torqued correctly.They should be re-torqued properly. Peugeot made a nifty socket for doing this but have never seen one.

Keep us posted on your findings, and certainly post some photos of your rare diesel!

Hey Jerro, welcome to the site. There are a few of us diesel folks here like myself. Your 86 TD is quite rare being the only year offered in the second generation here in the states. Had one several years ago. Everything sounds like it was done properly but I have my doubts the injectors were torqued to 50lbs. 47lbs. in the book.

You can tweak them like you mentioned when cold and be careful. If there is even a slight movement in doing this will tell you they weren't torqued correctly.They should be re-torqued properly. Peugeot made a nifty socket for doing this but have never seen one.

Keep us posted on your findings, and certainly post some photos of your rare diesel!

Thanks very much for the tips on my `leak` hassle from the new nozzles being put in at the shop. I have taken them back to the shop and they are going to double `check` as they said it was their responsibility. I will then fit them back in the engine to make sure that at least that bit gets done properly. I did think buying a pop tester and other bits was justified for a `one off` job. The whole reason for changing the injectors and glow plugs was to see why i have a `smoky ` start up when cold but perfect start up and running when she`s warm. If the new nozzles and glow plugs don`t do it then she`s up for sale! I am going to put up some pictures but can`t get the right angles as she is in my house garage. Thanks for welcoming me to the site, appreciate it --More to come!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!--Put all injectors back in, torqued to 55 ft lbs, not a single leak, removed bloody awful metal cannister/cylinder that covers fuel filter unit that totally wipes out any chance of ever changing your fuel filter, actually changed fuel filter after this AND no leaks!! :lol:

Good news to hear on your car jerro!

Thanks Jeff-- Yup! I was really excited! Have you ever had `those` times when you assemble something and it leaks on you!. I am taking her to get the injector pump checked and set as i just can`t live with that 1st start up of the day smoke. I`m jumping the gun here but i`ve also put her in the `for sale` section in case her smoky start is not cured or helped by the inj. pump timing. If she quits smoking (20 per day ) i`ll keep her as a good diesel is a treat these days with the gas prices getting screwed up.--Thanks