505T Torque Tube / BA10 Disengagement

bill

I am in the process of sending my beloved Blackie 87 505T to the boneyard. My $200 investment 9 years ago has been a champ! I got the engine out last night. Now I want to recover the BA1O transmission. I was working late and I hit a snag of sorts. How does one disconnect that inner driveshaft? I know it has splines, and I can't seem to grasp how I would go about disconnecting it. I have to take another look, but does anyone have any pointers?

Bill

i assume you've seen the manual? i haven't done this, and my car doesn't have abs (like yours). but it looks like you've got to disconnect the driveshaft from the transmission & drop the free end low enough to clear the rear suspension arm so that you can pull the driveshaft out: "On vehicles fitted with ABS, the presence of the toothed rotor does not allow removal of the drive shaft from inside the suspension arm."

other than that, i got nothin'. i'm sure more experienced heads can weigh in on this.

andré

Hi Bill,

You just need to slide the tranny forward on a floor jack or something to gain some space. Leave the torque tube bolted to the diff, and just the shaft will stay attached. Once you can get some channel locks onto the shaft you should be able to grasp the shaft and pivot the channel locks against the diff to lever the shaft off the splines.

There's nothing but friction holding them on.

Not sure if you're saving the diff and rear axles, but if you prefer you can drop the diff as well and access the shaft from that and and pull it off the transmission output from the diff end.

Rabin

okay, i see the source of my confusion -- it's terminology. the manual is referring to them as "propellor shaft" and drive shaft," but you guys are referring to them as the "drive shaft" and the "rear axle," respectively. hopefully someone else (besides me) has learned from this, so my jumping in like an ass has not been in vain. :D

so, the propellor/drive shaft is not actually bolted to anything anywhere, it's just held in by splines at either end and supported by the tube bearing in the middle?

andré

so, the propellor/drive shaft is not actually bolted to anything anywhere, it's just held in by splines at either end and supported by the tube bearing in the middle?

andré

Exactly... Slip fits at both ends.

Rabin