1986 505 Turbo Automatic

nick@nite

I've got a question on how well the euro lights control the light?

I tried HID's on the Volvo, but the light scatter was so bad that it would have blinded oncoming traffic on low. I tried the 6000K lights and found them too harsh, and too "white" - so much so that they were useless in the wet as they reflected off the road and didn't light up the road at all. Problem is that most HID retrokit locate the filament poorly and the reflector / lense fluting are all off.

I also have to admit it's a bit of a pet peave when HID swaps are done and the lights blind people. I also think it's awesome that I can pass a car running HID's and my "yellow" halogens flood the road FAR better than their lights. It's actually illegal here to do it on cars that aren't self leveling or have auto headlight adjustments. (Volvo is self leveling)

If I were to run HID's in the future they'd have to be 3 - 4000K, and I'd want them in proper HID designed projector housings.

Rabin

Yes Andre that is the 194 amber parking light we retro'ed in.

The kit is pretty sweet, & I must say I've had the same opinion as the rest of you with how non hid housed lights are retro'ed in and sux for everyone else and are not the greatest still when they seem to be the best in the industry.... I haven't driven the car yet with the lights in but they seem to work great with the slickness of the Hi/Low option Which does infact direct the beam which is also what sealed the deal with trying these. $80 shipped straight from China, took a week to get with China express... 6000k is what we got in. Hid's have less heat and use 35W/55W so they're the same wattage & lower than stock...

My link

left side ballast we mounted here:

0908111449.jpg

rightside ballast mounted the fenderwell between the airbox

0908111450.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had to re-aim the lights a little bit on the downside. But love the hid lights and the Euro light housed the hid's very well. 6000K is a bit bright. Will be going with a 4-5K with my 86' as well with another new pair of euro's

On my car as well:

I had 15w50 synthetic in the tranny for oil when we rebuilt it. It was fine for a little while but it started whinning again. Put in 75/90 the other day and no noise anymore when the clutch is out.

Also had to re tighten my exhaust manifold, the back nuts came a little loose again.

I should put a new spring on the wastegate due to it's getting a little heat stretched but still spikes 12-13 PSI

• 4 weeks later...

Had a leak on the back seat area. And had been leaking for quite sometime... The rear leather seat cushion has a little water mark in it. My father left the seat out for about two weeks.& Finally found where it was coming from... Right rear piller, where the sunroof drain runs down. we took the plastic trim off and found the hose was off, due from someone disassemble and reassemble incorrectly.

Had to re-aim the lights a little bit on the downside. But love the hid lights and the Euro light housed the hid's very well. 6000K is a bit bright. Will be going with a 4-5K with my 86' as well with another new pair of euro's

that's good to know. my euros came without bulbs, so i've been thinking about going with HIDs like you...i almost never drive outside the brightly-lit city, however, so i'll probably go with the 4500s...

andré

ah, i see now. that's a great reference, rabin, thanks; i understand now. for my application, something like 10k would be best, i think (bluish light, somewhere between regular halogens and the 4300s in brightness).

of course, another way to go would be yellow dichroic coated h4 bulbs, for that authentic french look. i'd like to do this, but i think i might get hassled. i'm not worried about LA cops, but in the OC and other nearby areas, they're pretty strict about that sort of thing. wouldn't want to get a "fix it ticket." i got one of those a couple of years ago for a burnt-out headlight and it took forever to find a cop to sign off on it...huge PITA....

andré

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i want to order myself a set of those HID lights - what options/bulbtype/etc did you tick off on the site?

Car is in storage along with my Golf won't see them again until April... :(

and it asks 35w or 55w, which of those?

and the hid harness, did you need to that to install? or is that something for newer cars (the error code eliminator and H1/H7 adapter cables im sure arent applicable for us)

thanks for the help!

I would personally go with the 8000K or 10,000K Hi/low for the Euro lights, and need the H4's bulbs. If you have the U.S headlight then you need the sealed beam kit.

and it asks 35w or 55w, which of those?

and the hid harness, did you need to that to install? or is that something for newer cars (the error code eliminator and H1/H7 adapter cables im sure arent applicable for us)

thanks for the help!

35W is fine, the rest does not apply, for the extra $4 you might want the mounting brackets.

thanks for the help man, gonna order my set

35W is fine, the rest does not apply, for the extra $4 you might want the mounting brackets.

• 1 year later...