Exterior modification ideas

ohms

finally some nice pics of this thing! =)

ok, so i wanna hear how you smoked the euros. makes the whole bloody car look vicious!

and i used to want to have my 505 painted black, but saw so many black 505s at ramsey that i didnt want it anymore - seeing yours has brought it back as an option to me. looks sooooo mean. (dunno how appropriate a "mean" look is to a wee lil xn6 car though...haha)

also, just a thought i've always had regarding the exhaust tip - i think the thin rectangular tip(s) from a 93-96ish z28 would be a nice match to the 505's lines. i think pininfarina would have approved.

Smoked euros is by tinted X-Pel headlight film. Protects against rock impacts, and the tint is supposed to block less than 1% of light output. You can't tell it's on the lights at night. I even experimented with moving a piece of the x-pel across the light to see if I could see it go by while parked against a wall - I couldn't tell at all.

Only thing is - I got both the the Hella driving lights and the euros done, but the euros are already tinted. So the "light smoke" turned darker than anticipated, and it doesn't match the lighter driving lights as close as I wanted.

It definitely means it up BIG time though. Once I have the BMW wheel upgrade done though - this will be one of the most aggressive looking sedans around. It's still a bit weenie with the stock rims and tires.

I'm still running ideas in my head for the exhaust solution - keep going back and forth between dual pipes centered in the middle or one on each side. I've even considered the chevy rectangular ones as well - so many options!

Rabin

x-pel, huh - new bookmark for me, didnt know of them before

heres another idea i had for mine - but would be killer on yours - cut out the grille, leaving just the "frame" around it - and put in a honeycomb grille, sunken in a bit, like maybe cut from the police crown vic honeycomb grille (http://www.bushkillcardsandgames.com/images/honeycombgrille.JPG)

and maybe a nice new lion emblem for the center of the grille, or keep the original lion (by not cutting it out with the grille's horizontal and vertical bars), which would line up/be on the same plane as the grille frame...

and sidemarker lights maybe - from a honda pilot or e36 bmw....*grin*

Smoked euros is by tinted X-Pel headlight film. Protects against rock impacts, and the tint is supposed to block less than 1% of light output. You can't tell it's on the lights at night. I even experimented with moving a piece of the x-pel across the light to see if I could see it go by while parked against a wall - I couldn't tell at all.

Only thing is - I got both the the Hella driving lights and the euros done, but the euros are already tinted. So the "light smoke" turned darker than anticipated, and it doesn't match the lighter driving lights as close as I wanted.

It definitely means it up BIG time though. Once I have the BMW wheel upgrade done though - this will be one of the most aggressive looking sedans around. It's still a bit weenie with the stock rims and tires.

I'm still running ideas in my head for the exhaust solution - keep going back and forth between dual pipes centered in the middle or one on each side. I've even considered the chevy rectangular ones as well - so many options!

Rabin

heres another idea i had for mine - but would be killer on yours - cut out the grille, leaving just the "frame" around it - and put in a honeycomb grille, sunken in a bit, like maybe cut from the police crown vic honeycomb grille (http://www.bushkillcardsandgames.com/images/honeycombgrille.JPG)

and maybe a nice new lion emblem for the center of the grille, or keep the original lion (by not cutting it out with the grille's horizontal and vertical bars), which would line up/be on the same plane as the grille frame...

Dude - you been in my garage or what? I've already got a grill trimmed to the outside frame, and the center lion already trimmed out to fit... I've just been at a stand still finding the right mesh to go into it. I want a nice sturdy plastic mesh that can be bonded and finished to look like OEM - no ghetto steel mesh inserts for me. A nice diamond shape - but something tight enough to protect the rad and intercooler, but not too tight to impede flow.

I've got a nice set of side markers already (thanks Nick!), I'm just waiting 'til I can polish them up, and give them a light tint as well.

Probably just have to chaulk it up to great minds thinking a like though... :)

Rabin

haha! so so awesome. yup, these are the mods i stay up at night thinking about for my 505. but youre actually making headway on them - ive just been dreaming them up, but have yet to handle simple stuff like cleaning my rear window switches =P (in my defense, ive been concentrating on getting my camaro on the road before winter hits)

anyway, heres another one i had - so you know how the c-pillar has that black plastic trapezoidal vent thing on it - and it kinda "cuts" off the shiny window trim that frames the side windows - will i was thinking a nice thin rectangular pininfarina emblem would look great, mounted either along the lower edge of the plastic vent (so, if you squinted and looked at the car from the side, it could almost appear as if it continues the shiny strip of trim along the bottom of the windows) OR depending on the thickness of that plastic trapezoid vent thing, maybe bevel out a lil recess for the emblem, and set it in there....thing is, on your car, blacking out all the stainless and chrome trim may be the slicker look altogether. including the door handles.

feel bad to muck up the bastille day thread with car-mod talk. my plan was to snap a pic of my 505 in front of the french embassy in DC - but when i got there i found that the building is almost entirely covered by massive trees and a tall fence. looked like a pic of my car parked on any old street =/

Dude - you been in my garage or what? I've already got a grill trimmed to the outside frame, and the center lion already trimmed out to fit... I've just been at a stand still finding the right mesh to go into it. I want a nice sturdy plastic mesh that can be bonded and finished to look like OEM - no ghetto steel mesh inserts for me. A nice diamond shape - but something tight enough to protect the rad and intercooler, but not too tight to impede flow.

I've got a nice set of side markers already (thanks Nick!), I'm just waiting 'til I can polish them up, and give them a light tint as well.

Probably just have to chaulk it up to great minds thinking a like though... :)

Rabin

This was a good tangent conversation so I split it out to it's own topic... :)

I like the Pininfarina emblem idea, but I've only just though of the "PF" script they have. Now I'll have to google images of emblems to see what could work. Placement you mention would be great for the thin emblem you speak of.

The other point is that the later 505T's had stock blacked out trim. I'll be blacking my handles out as well, but still trying to find the best finish. I think if I can disassemble the handles, etch the chrome, then and have them powder coated that would be the best and most durable. They just stick out too much as bright as they are. I will be keeping the chrome belt line strip in the bumpers and would like to either restore the stock body mouldings or find some other OEM ones that will continue the chrome strip around the car.

I like the sinister look, but I don't want it to look "murdered out" -I just found out about that phrase. lol OEM performance division model is my design goal.

Rabin

ah, nice thread move

yeah, the only thing that kinda irks me about the pininfarina idea is that my french car would have an italian name on it - even though pininfarina was put on cars other than italian makes. it still somehow...bugs me a lil hehe. along those lines, thats the one thing keeping me from debadging my 505 - as a graphic designer, i love the PEUGEOT typeface. i'd even maybe be ok with having a PEUGEOT windshield banner (but not in white, maybe just as a tint film) if i did debadge the car (i dont like the cheap looking emblems the 505 has as stock - would prefer seperate metal letters and numbers for the emblems.

this is the pininfarina emblem i had in mind (my favorite of the ones ive seen on ebay) - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Disegno-Di-Pininfarina-Aluminum-Emblem-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb638e7daQQitemZ200625678298QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but this one is also nice: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pininfarina-Chrome-Emblem-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb2139c00QQitemZ200556125184QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i nearly bought (but the bidding went higher than i was willing to pay) for a set of sidemarker lights that had a pininfarina emblem as part of the assembly, if i remember right it was from an alfa romea (156? milano? cant remember)

for chrome beltline strips, a few weeks ago i was at pepboys buying some oil and saw in the "import accessories" chrome skulls and junk isle, they sell rolls of chrome strip in different widths and thicknesses, with adhesive. could work, maybe. my thought, with the grille, was to use that chrome strip tape to cover the outer frame, and MAYBE do the lion outline as well, though it would take some good work with an x-acto to make it not look like a crappy job (and supposedly it can handle bending)

and lol at "murdered out" - for an 80s performance model, you KNOW all the good ones were black, with mostly blacked out trim, and RED outline accents around certain parts (go ahead, imagine a celebrity eurosport and feel the excitement)

This was a good tangent conversation so I split it out to it's own topic... :)

I like the Pininfarina emblem idea, but I've only just though of the "PF" script they have. Now I'll have to google images of emblems to see what could work. Placement you mention would be great for the thin emblem you speak of.

The other point is that the later 505T's had stock blacked out trim. I'll be blacking my handles out as well, but still trying to find the best finish. I think if I can disassemble the handles, etch the chrome, then and have them powder coated that would be the best and most durable. They just stick out too much as bright as they are. I will be keeping the chrome belt line strip in the bumpers and would like to either restore the stock body mouldings or find some other OEM ones that will continue the chrome strip around the car.

I like the sinister look, but I don't want it to look "murdered out" -I just found out about that phrase. lol OEM performance division model is my design goal.

Rabin

....would prefer seperate metal letters and numbers for the emblems.

Seriously dude... I've got just this to upgrade the trunk lid a bit. I haven't put them on yet though cause I dinged the trunk lid when a tool box slid and scratched the inside of the trunk that shows on the outside... :( So it'll have to get redone again later - likely when I get the whole car redone. Not the Peugeot font - but even the new Peugeot's use a generic font so it should look fine.

As for badges: fender emblem / light

I like these - and they sound like the style you were bidding on. I could see these working as I've also wanted to fit the front panel signal repeaters to the Peugeot to flash with the signal lights - but up til now I was just going to use the same kind my V70R uses by Hella. They look sharp and should add to the "euro" flavour nicely.

Chrome strips: Fernando has already confirmed a 3M chrome strip is a perfect replacement for the bumpers. I will either restore the factory door mouldings with new chrome strips spliced into them, or try to find another OEM door moulding that would suit. It has to be OEM though as it can't look like I went to Pepboys and shopped in tuner isle too long. :) OEM quality all the way.

Rabin

Rabin

ah, so it was fiat. welp, bingo, thats the sidemarker i saw (but the ones i was bidding on were fairly "worn in" and i thought i could get em cheap)

Seriously dude... I've got just this to upgrade the trunk lid a bit. I haven't put them on yet though cause I dinged the trunk lid when a tool box slid and scratched the inside of the trunk that shows on the outside... :( So it'll have to get redone again later - likely when I get the whole car redone. Not the Peugeot font - but even the new Peugeot's use a generic font so it should look fine.

As for badges: fender emblem / light

I like these - and they sound like the style you were bidding on. I could see these working as I've also wanted to fit the front panel signal repeaters to the Peugeot to flash with the signal lights - but up til now I was just going to use the same kind my V70R uses by Hella. They look sharp and should add to the "euro" flavour nicely.

Chrome strips: Fernando has already confirmed a 3M chrome strip is a perfect replacement for the bumpers. I will either restore the factory door mouldings with new chrome strips spliced into them, or try to find another OEM door moulding that would suit. It has to be OEM though as it can't look like I went to Pepboys and shopped in tuner isle too long. :) OEM quality all the way.

Rabin

Rabin

i dont like the cheap looking emblems the 505 has as stock - would prefer seperate metal letters and numbers for the emblems.

at some point in the future i may have metal badges made, basically nicer repros of the oe badges...do a google search on "billet badges," there's lots of folks out there that do this. this is way down on my list, though. :)

most cars with pininfarina badges have them on the front fender, just behind the wheel & above the beltline...don't some 504s have them there?

andre

i seen those, but i NEEEEEEED the peugeot typeface ones haha

i have to upload video i took in Peru - saw a modern 505, with the most perfect emblems...

another idea i had, was to relocate the emblems from the trunk lid to the rear bumper, beveling out a correspondingly-sized recess on each side for the "peugeot" and "505" emblems, center-aligned with the inset strip that runs along the bumper

at some point in the future i may have metal badges made, basically nicer repros of the oe badges...do a google search on "billet badges," there's lots of folks out there that do this. this is way down on my list, though. :)

most cars with pininfarina badges have them on the front fender, just behind the wheel & above the beltline...don't some 504s have them there?

andre

i seen those, but i NEEEEEEED the peugeot typeface ones haha

that's what i'm talking about -- having billet badges made in the peugeot typeface...

the stock trunklid is flat, but on the models with spoilers, the spoilers have indentions where the badges go. the badges i'm talking about would replicas made from a nicer material, and would thus have the same "footprint" as the oe badges. i have a trunklid with a spoiler that i'll be using, so that's important...

andre

You guys! Egg crate grill's, PF badges and marker lights, Mob paint jobs. You are going to cost me a fortune!

Love the PF Design/marker light piece. Man are those cool and would look sweet behind the front wheel opening in place of the rubber moulding. As my car has been stripped of that already I'm 1/2 way there.

A cheap and workable grille mesh option is mesh gutter covering. It can be painted, is super cheap, cuts to shape with a dull butter knife and has big enough holes to flow air while keeping out the big stuff. Won't look as good as true egg crate but with my track car I'm more about function than absolute looks. Haven't touched the thing in weeks as we prepare to move. :(