Photography

N9TE

So I'm looking to upgrade my photography skills. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be good. Maybe Fernando can take charge of this thread. I've read some good threads on Autopia, but frankly, Fernamdo's few pictures just kill!

Anyway, here's a link to a decent introduction for Digital SLR cameras. Clicky

So Fernando, what kind of hardware/software are you using to make those minty pictures?

Anybody else a shutterbug?

Nice topic. I'm a bit of an amateur photographer and mostly like shooting motorsports events and people. Here's a very rough going over of my Montreal F1 pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/rabin505/MontrealF12011?authkey=Gv1sRgCI31oYfOu4v_rgE'>https://picasaweb.google.com/rabin505/MontrealF12011?authkey=Gv1sRgCI31oYfOu4v_rgE

There's also a few galleries of mine public on Picassa for local events in my car club as well: https://picasaweb.google.com/rabin505

I started shooting Nikon FE2 35mm film camera in high school and was the school photographer - even developed B&W film and processed prints. :) I went to the Nikon D200 when my daughter was born 4 years ago. D200 is nice as it allowed me to shoot my manual lenses and my old flash, keeping my previous manual equipment useful.

Best advise I can give is that the lenses make the biggest differences in photography. I shoot a nice Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens that was 1/3 the price of the Nikon equivalent, but is known for it's sharpness and fast focus. It works fantastic, and the 2.8 F-stop allows me to shoot low light situations indoors which is nice. Only issue is that it doesn't have the feel and silence of the Nikon lens. The faster the lens (lower the F-stop) the better the lens is - but they're usually $$$. I always tell people to fore-go the camera and lens kit, and do a body only with the best, fastest lens they can afford. Kit lenses aren't bad, but once you shoot a F2.8 lens you'll never use the kit lens.

I'm a fan of Nikon, but you really can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. It mostly comes down to personal preference. If you don't have a preference - go to a high end camera shop and get them to demo cameras in your price range and pick the one that's most intuitive for you to use.

Rabin

My brother Arun is now active on the site and will likely post as well. He went to Canon a few years back, and has WAY more experience. I'd even say semi-pro / pro, but I might be a bit biased. :)

He's also the one that got me into photography in high school. I held his camera equipment ransom when he needed my 504's engine for his 504 so he could drive it to Toronto. I told him he could have it back when he replaced the engine with a PRV 604. True to the promise - both brothers bought a 604 v6 4-sp stick and sent me the engine and tranny on a pallet when I was 17. I shoe horned that engine into my 76' 504 in the driveway, and ran that car into my mid 20's. Pretty much sealing the deal on always owning a Peugeot since. (As well as starting off the whole mechanic / race mechanic thing)

Since I had all his nice camera stuff anyway - I started playing around with it and ended up becoming the school photographer.

Rabin