wheel and brake upgrade in progress

Holy cow man - I didn't stand a chance in catching you! lol

Car looks AMAZING! You'll know right away if you need to run the Camaro brake booster and master, and it might be a decent mod if that's the case. Only issue I could see is maybe needed a brake bias for the rear if you do the Camaro master. Hopefully there's enough space.

I'm also curious what you figure you can get for rubber on that set up as it sits. Tires on it are definitely on the safe side and it looks like you've got a ton of clearance.

Can't wait for the ride report too! You've upped the contact patch in a huge way so the car should stick something wicked.

Rabin

Actually - it just occured to me that the tie rod end mod you did would be a great way to extend the inner tie rod sleaves of the older shorter inner tie rods to fit the ABS cars... The longer inner ABS tie rods seem to be NLA, so using the shorter style with the threaded rod and a new tie rod would be an easy mod.

So what tie rod is it that you're using? I assume it's got the same thread pitch and size as the Peugeot tie rods....

Rabin

I'm probably going to try to run the corvette size tires or something along that size maybe a lower profile but with the same tread width. the corvette size is 245/45-17 and 275/40-18 some real steam rollers.

Believe it or not but the camaro tie rod end has the same thread size and everything as the peugeot's. It was too good to be true. I cut the threaded part off the inner tie rod of the camaro threaded it into the peugeot's inner tie rod and welded it fast. I believe the camaro taper fits the peugeot spindle but I'll have to check to be sure.

I'm working on the gas tank now. I believe I'm going to have the filler behind the license plate like the old cars. It will just work easier that way. I'll probably start a new thread for the tank install. I think it will come together nicely with minimal work well in my opinion anyways. It'd be a lot easier if I just had a tig welder <_<

The ride report won't happen tomorrow although I might be able to do it then I just need help bleeding brakes

• 3 weeks later...

Update The car drives great! turn in is good handles bumps fine through turns and not a shake to it even up to 90.

As far as the brakes are concerned the peugeot master cylinder should do just fine. I still need to do a little bleeding, and the booster is going bad. I have a peugeot brake booster to install but its the wrong one I believe. So I may just go with a camaro booster and master cylinder after all.

I got the tank under the car. I'm not exactly happy with it. I know it will come out again at some point. I'd like to try to shove the corvette transaxle under the rear when I do that the tank will go.

I still don't have the bumpers on it or anything. I need to start preparing it for paint. I'm thinking black with chrome rain gutters and lower window trim seals.

COOL!!

So how is tire clearances? Still think you can run standard Vette tire sizes front and rear? How does the car handle ruts and stuff - any tendency for it to want to follow highway grooves and stuff or does it track nice?

More pics and vids would be awesome if you could, especially some close ups of the front with the wheels at full lock would be awesome. So many questions... lol

Rabin

again, a very exciting thread!

you mentioned you might start a separate thread for the fuel tank install, would be interested to see that. did you use the tank that came with the car (how?), a tank from a wagon, or something else? it'd be pretty easy to source a wagon fuel tank (tons of them around here), but it might interfere with your future plans for the drivetrain swap...

andré

• 5 months later...

alright heres what I got took it on a 400 mile trip. I had it aligned the steering isn't right :angry: it's doing something I've never experienced before it darts when turning into a turn and then mellows out coming out of the turn the wheel wont be straight but it drives straight. Then the next time it will do it the wheel with come out straight and it drives straight. It will do it if it hits a bump or a dip in the road a certain way. It does all of this some of the time!!! if it doesn't it drives great nice turn in and control at high speeds.

Messin with the geometry is always such a crap shoot... Only thing I can suggest is to maybe put the front wheels on two pieces of hard plastic sheeting so that you can have someone turn lock to lock with the tires slipping on the plastic and showing what that contact patch is doing as the car is turning. If the contact patch isn't rotating well - that might explain erratic handling.

Can you post alignment specs? Is it still within stock specs? If so you might see if there are any good race shops that would be willing to take a look to maybe see if dialing in a bit more caster or giving it a 0 toe alignment would settle it down some.

Symptoms you describe I had with a bad lower ball joint that would displace under load in a turn and that 3/8" deflection would really make the car feel weird. If some part of the suspension is deflecting under load like that - it would help explain how it's inconsistent. My advise there is to take a crow bar and leverage all the joints to see what they do under load / force...

Rabin

I haven't gotten it painted yet I want to paint it black. I do have the gas tank in 450 miles on this tank so far!!! and still not empty!!! everything on the front is new. ball joints tie rod ends everything and i've jacked it up and everything is tight too. it couldn't be bad bushings in the power rod on the rack could it???post-370-0-75952900-1322924154_thumb.png

No - power piston wouldn't contribute at all. Rack bushings would /could though.

Is the caster greater or is it less than stock spec? If you didn't have enough caster it might act twitchy or weird - if it's greater it'd actually have more stability and have more self centering tendencies.

Any idea how well the contact patches rotate about the center point?

Rabin

I checked the contact patches and they rotate right in the middle of tire. I was having a hard time understanding the caster settings on the print out i was given. I'm not sure where they are at the guy who did the alignment said he would be concerned about how the tires will wear due to the caster??? which didn't sound correct to me.

another up date I ended up having to extend the tie rod points on the spindle moving them towards the rear of the car. Doing so corrected the darting problem :D and I now have it ready to drive from colorado to pennsylvainia!!! it's made the trip before but never with this set up so far I probably have about 1000 miles or more on it. I also have a 26 gallon tank so I can run 450 miles on a tank easily which equates to 4 stops on my way east!!!

Sweet! Glad you got it sorted out. How much did you need to extend it to match the stock arms?

I'm looking forward to updates on how it handled the trip back, and impressions of the swap after some serious highway miles. I've done a few LONG drives in my 505's and they are such great road cars.

BTW: Saw the pic and giggled out loud. Car looks SWEET! Must be a fun handful in the snow too with the wide performance rubber. :D

Rabin