88 turbo 5 speed 505 and 89 turbo automatic 505 in NJ

ohms

descriptions of both from his craigslist ads (he lives in harlem, but the cars are being stored at Ramsey Peugeot in NJ):

black 1989 peugeot 505 turbo parts - $1000 (East Harlem)

was in a wreck with an uninsured motorist and out of pocket repairs will exceed the value of this beautiful classic automobile the right front of my 1989 peugeot 505 turbo automatic with the ground effect, clean suede seats all around, skirts rear air dam raised spoiler on trunk, mouldingsand decals uncraked dash board, excellent sport gripsteering wheel, clean rims/ tires,doors front and back, trunk, engine turbo transmission.. i think many Peugeot enthousiasts can take advantage of these parts, note that everything in this car worked before this mishaps and the paint job is still euro gloss finnish, window/ roof/ mirror, climate control, powersteering and all switchesand fixtures from PMA are 16 bucks a piece peugeot parts are expensive and rare if not impossible to find, junk yards no longer disassemble vehicles for parts, just crush and recycle. come see parts you might wanna extract for use now or in future bulb, cables roof, brakes . antenna motors rims, trunk lift, shocks springs everything goes! let her parts live on in another instead .

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pts/2003982714.html (current ad, tho he will probably make a new one with pictures i took today showing the damage)

1988 peugeot 505 turbo 5-speed - $1500 (East Harlem)

black peugeot 505 turbo, 5-speed gray leather interior heated front seats, working sliding roof, runs excellent all possible engine work performed by ramsey peugeot where car resides now, original clutch and turboengine, in dash cd player with ipod input, alpine all-around speakers, box bass and amp in trunk. was my daily travelling vehicle till i suffered a stroke and was summoned to automatic transmission only.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/2009205084.html

Thanks for the pics Ohms...

My take on it is that the 89' is likely (and sadly) too far gone to warrant the work needed to repair it. It is repairable, but a lot of work is needed to get it back into shape, and after all that work you'd still have a salvage / repaired title. (Rear bumper is pushed in too)

That being said - it'd be a great parts car for the 88' - and it does have a tremendous amount of 88'/89' specific parts that only the ABS cars cars have. (ABS brakes, sensors, rear axles, front suspension, grean tint windows etc)

So my advice would be to buy both for sure, spend a weekend cleaning up the 88' and transferring the sweetest parts of the 89' into the 88' to make it as nice as possible.

Ideally if you could then store the rest of the 89' somewhere so that it was accessible when you needed parts - that would be better than having to just strip what you needed and junking the rest.

Stuff I'd swap over:

Full cloth interior - looked perfect. (unless the driver seat is repairable)

89' steering wheel is thicker and feels nicer.

Torsen rear diff

Rear tail lights and middle panel - they look great on the earlier style - just needs a panel made above the rear bumper to cover the gap.

Anything else that was better on the 89 that was easily swapped over.

The rest I'd either part out and sell to others, but a lot of the mechanical stuff I'd want to keep as spares for the 88'.

If I was only closer... :P

Rabin

Both cars are garbage. Sorry. They just are. Both cars' wear items reflect a turn-key driver - A guy who fixes the car when it breaks, but otherwise just racks up the miles on 'em.

That's fine if there's a ton of parts and people to work on the car, but these cars fail that test on both counts.

Now, with that, you have to assess yourself. If you want a nice 505, you're in for the cost of the cars and at least $5K to get just ONE of those cars to nice condition. Both will need a respray. 88 has roached leather. 89 will need a decent body and paint man. 88 is surely suffering from deferred maintenance. Just look at the engine compartment!

Like the myth of the "affordable $15K Ferrari", the mint, cheap French sedan left us in the mid-90's. The things that made them desirable are starting to fade as it expected on any 23+ old car. Paint, leather, engine, etc. Going through any of these general areas costs bucks.

If someone who loves 505s got 'em and tossed a lot of time and $$$ into them, sure they can be saved and made whole again so people would drool over them. But, anybody looking for a daily driver is going to be sorely disappointed.

I actually am one of those sick guys who would do that. But I've also got a dead reliable E36 that starts every time, can tie up my garage with a inop 505 for months on end, have all six factory manuals, and a ton of factory tools, plus the jumbo microfiche with fiches, and bunch of spare and OEM parts, etc.

I don't want to harsh your mellow, but you're got to be realistic. Look at this the same as any other rare, old orphaned car. Say a Renault Caravelle or Fiat 500 or RHD Rover or Citroen SM, or Saab Sonnet or Porsche 928. You would go into ANY of those cars with the expectation that you'd get away with a primo car for $3-5K. The 505 is actually harder than those all (parts availability) except probably the Caravelle.

If you jump in, do it with your eyes open.

Yeah, unfortunately, both cars look pretty thrashed.

There was a really nice red turbo sedan for sale on here a month ago, I think it was in jerz. Might wanna check that out.

the 88 has some potential, but the 89 looks like it has severe damage.

the rear quarter looks pushed up on the door.

My left rear quarter got pushed when I was hit and run last december, but I cashed out the $$$ and had a shop properly repair everything.

I think you guys are suffering from perspective issues...

Both of you live in areas that enjoy rust free cars (if not mostly rust free anyway), and the quality of car for a given $ is REALLY outstanding where you guys live. Paint is expensive - but add in rust repairs and it's stupid expensive. So much can be done with bad paint in the interim for cheap - so as long as it has little to no rust you're doing good.

For those of us in rust belts, seeing the inner fender well of that damaged 89 with no rust is a HUGE bonus. I'd assume that the 88' is similarly rust free from the shots of the body - but of course it'd have to be inspected more thoroughly on purchase.

I'd also have to disagree with judging an engine bay to determine maintenance. Daily drivers have dirty engine bays - my 89' looks exactly like the 88's and it's impecably maintained. Roads here are dirty and rough, so trying to keep the engine bay clean is an excercise in futility. Mike (the seller) has had both cars maintained at Ramsey's - and by all accounts Alberto runs a top notch shop.

My 89' is also a high mileage car, but August maintained it really well and the car handles like new. I need to sort some small issue before I can say it runs like new though... :P I'm also having to deal with previous owners shoddy damage repair (before August and Stefan apparently) where a quarter panel was repaired poorly. It's MUCH nicer getting an original body where nothing is hiding than having to deal with stuff buried in bondo...

So for those reasons alone - assuming the 88' is rust free (or almost rust free) - I think the 88' could easily be a great daily if it checks out, with potential to be more if you wanted. With the 89' as a parts car - and both for $1800 or less, it still seams like a steal.

That being said - I'd only recommend daily duties for ANY 505 be left to the hardcore Peugeotists or the very mechanically inclined - AND - you should have a second car just in case. I daily drive my Peugeots - but the family car is a Volvo so if my car needs repairs it just affects scheduling...

Rabin

To me, mileage isn't always a factor. My 505 has over 300k, and is still running strong.

It's all in the maintenance though. The 88' looks like it could be turned around, but I'm just sayin that the 89 may not be structurally in the best shape. Parts on the 89 could definitely be salvaged. It's always possible to daily a 505, but you need to be prepared. Mine was driven daily for almost 27 years.