The neverending hunt for wheels (that fit)

hey guys. im new, but have been reading/searching/rereading the board since buying my 505 a while back (actually a lil b4 buying it, for research - having not seen one in the flesh for umpteen years), and one thing ive been particularly investigative about is the peugeots wheel dilemna.

so ive seen rabins project posts (man, i was hoping, selfishly, you'd make it work on the non-abs car hehe), and read here and elsewhere (theres a lemons team that ran/runs a 505 with porsche rotors - could be possible theres more swappable hardware since the rotors nearly fit?) and the whole "guys with old subarus buying up pug rims" thing. so i combed THEIR board (hey, they prowl ours looking for wheels so why not haha), and found this page

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/wheels/wheels.html

now, yeah, nice, mesh rims!!! some of those rims are great, but good luck finding them...

the part i wanna discuss/get some feedback on is the redrilling of chevy 6 lug truck wheels (which are 6x5.5" or 6x140 or 6x139.7 depending who u talk to) to fit. that page has a before/after shot of the redrilling to make them 4x140. the subie guys are offroad nuts, so the old school white spoke wagon wheels suffice for them, and the offset sticks the tires out past their fenders. They also say in numerous posts that they havent broken any wheels and they've held up fine despite the hard offroading they do (jumps, ruts, etc). I dont know our (505) backspacing and ideal offset for a wheel, but besides the chevy 6 lug wheels, there are also toyota, mazda, old jeep grand wagonneer, and nissan 6 lug wheels that have the 6x140 and also different offsets so they make be able to tuck in or maybe sit flush (oh that would be slick) with a 505's wheel arches.

also, 139.7 vs 140 is "only" .3 mm but i would think that discrepancy would still be enough to keep a stud and a lug from joining together in sweet wheel matrimony. one the aussiefrogs site, i found a thread saying that pugs are actually 4x139.7 and its just been rounded up for simplicity's sake. so, i dont know. im keeping an eye on craigslist for anyone dumping/selling dirt cheap a 6lug truck wheel so i can measure it, drill it, try it on, and see where this whole thing stands.

also, been combing ebay for 6lug wheels. i think these have that 80s look that would look cool on a 505:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-set-4-Prime-wheels...=item3a5ce4883c

anyway, thoughts? or am i (and im half-expecting to be) driving down an old road you guys have been down already and turned out to be a dead end....?

gratuitous car pic.- my 84 sti xn6 auto

post-714-1280933229.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yup - I already went down this road and the backspacing is what killed it.

Steel rims are ideal as you don't really need to run hardened lug nut seats, but if you run alloys - re-drilling them is a lot more involved than simply drilling a hole and bolting them up. Between the excessive back spacing, and the weight of a truck rim - I wanted a better way to do it.

I'm pretty anal about doing stuff like this, so I want it to be better than the original, and I want it to be track ready. If you want to just run larger rims then the best bet by far is to get some wheel adapters done up like the Lemons guys did. Huge selection of LIGHT rims, in modern sizes so tire selection is great. The added width of the adapter opens you up to a HUGE selection of FWD rims as well since you can use up all that backspacing. I know I'd be up for a set of them for my 504 at the very least. :blink:

I've gone off the deep end with my wheel upgrade - but that being said - when they're done they'll rival some of the best sports cars out. If it goes to plan - they'll be better than an E46 M3 at the very least - and that car has DAMN good brakes. :) My only concern is the ABS, but it should be fine.

Good to see you wanting to upgrade the 505 as well! Not many of us out there that are willing to do this, but I totally think the cars are worth it. :)

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...