My ex.505 turbo has new look

V-M

That's a very nice car indeed!

I love the:

- Gas tank under the trunk - must have a HUGE trunk without the tank in there. (I'd love to put a euro tank mine and lose the trunk tank...)

- The "biode" headlights - they have the extra high beam bulb in them like my old euro 504 headlights. I'd love to get a set of those for my car as well - or modify my existing euro lights with the extra bits. (I have 100W H3 bulbs for high beam in my 504 lights and they're AMAZING!)

- rear tail lights on the euro cars - very tidy.

The kit itself looks good on the car. Sadly, we never got anything like that here. But we do get snow here, there just isn't any yet... :o

bean, nice eye on the tank location, i totally missed that hahahaha.. :)

anyone know why they changed the tank location on EU 505's? i'd imagine the lower CG is better for handling as well eh?

Not to be tight ass... but. Didn't location changed FOR US reculations. And was originally

under car? It was metal earlier models? All turbos did have plastic tank (europe models).

Also exhaust pipe location was changed in same reasons?

V-M

looks great V-M! interesting rear wing / trunk setup, where is that from?

it looks very cold! i wish we got snow in los angeles :o

That is original evo set sold for -> 86 models in peugeot dealers and was in Peugeot catalog

as optional equipments. This set only known whole set in Finland (was not so happy to sell it

but... can't hold everything)

Not so cold yet -2deg C B) -> it will be -20C and could be some days also close to -40C :(

V-M

- The "biode" headlights - they have the extra high beam bulb in them like my old euro 504 headlights. I'd love to get a set of those for my car as well - or modify my existing euro lights with the extra bits. (I have 100W H3 bulbs for high beam in my 504 lights and they're AMAZING!)

:o Lights are dam good with these bi-diode lamps. But are expensive and hard to find. (I have one new 504 bi-diode lamp in original package).

There is one blue 505 turbo with this evo set (in Finland) but missing this front spoiler (have original instead).

I have pictures of it also (it has been lowered and engine is build).

V-M

VERY nice car, indeed. ;-)

Not to be tight ass... but. Didn't location changed FOR US reculations. And was originally

under car? It was metal earlier models? All turbos did have plastic tank (europe models).

Also exhaust pipe location was changed in same reasons?

That's right. European models have always had the fuel tank under the car. The first ones from model year 1979 to 1983 had a 56 liter metal tank and starting from the chassis number 1578001 (sedan), 1553791 (Break) and 1552789 (Familiale) they started using a plastic 70 liter tank in every model. I have a Finnish magazine article (TM 13/1983) that claims that a 1983 Turbo Injection had a 63 liter gas tank (doesn't say if it's metallic or plastic, I would say plastic) but I haven't been able to verify that information from other sources.

Here are some pics of the metallic 56 liter tank. IMHO, the newer plastic tank was a huge improvement, not only because of its increased capacity but also because it doesn't rust. ;-)

There is one blue 505 turbo with this evo set (in Finland) but missing this front spoiler (have original instead).

I have pictures of it also (it has been lowered and engine is build).

Do you mean Juha's 1986 Turbo? It has the front spoiler too. Here are some new pics of that car (a very good looking car too!).

Edit: Juha's car is a 1986, not 1988.

Do you mean Juha's 1988 Turbo? It has the front spoiler too. Here are some new pics of that car (a very good looking car too!).

Yes, but Juha sayed at he's one is different? We did have a look when he was visiting my house.

But I'll check from Juha :o

V-M

ok, what are these things????

fi_505_arrows.jpg

like my sweet arrows? :o

Nice arrow heads! :( those are for dump valve controls (if I remember right) and on wall those are pressure relays. Dump valve don'r work with air flow meters with out those.

But I have by-pass with out those and working ok.

V-M

aaaaahh, thanks for the clarification V-M!! :o

next question is how in the HELL did he get that throttle elbow.. its like the one from the 85 non intercooled turbo, but a complete reverse version.. even has tap for overboost switch, and air aux valves?????? was it just a REALLY good machineist?

aaaaahh, thanks for the clarification V-M!! :(

next question is how in the HELL did he get that throttle elbow.. its like the one from the 85 non intercooled turbo, but a complete reverse version.. even has tap for overboost switch, and air aux valves?????? was it just a REALLY good machineist?

Easy job!? Just use some aluminium tubes and TIG "glue" :o

V-M

Hello from Finland......

It is nice that someone like my "parts"....

I have done allmoust everything to this car....

I built it three years and it has been in use four years. I have fix

some things every winter and now it is in guite good gonditions.... :o

Bigger turbo is next modification.

I use 0.8 bar this summer and test 1 bar next summer if i don`t change turbo?

Man you guys are building some SWEET 505 Turbo's!!

Juha - you car is VERY nice indeed. Us North American enthusiasts need to step it up a notch so we can be in the same league - but seeing all of your fine examples of how it should be done is doing a real nice job of motivating me to get my car into proper shape.

As an aside - any idea's on if it would be possible to retrofit the Euro plastic 70L tank into a car here in Canada? I'd love to recoup all that trunk space, as well as get some added touring capacity to the tank. Having a corrosion resistant tank would also help with storing the cars over the winter.

I'd be interested in seeing how much all that would cost to ship to Canada - so if there are any takers please let me know!

Rabin

Man you guys are building some SWEET 505 Turbo's!!

Juha - you car is VERY nice indeed. Us North American enthusiasts need to step it up a notch so we can be in the same league - but seeing all of your fine examples of how it should be done is doing a real nice job of motivating me to get my car into proper shape.

As an aside - any idea's on if it would be possible to retrofit the Euro plastic 70L tank into a car here in Canada? I'd love to recoup all that trunk space, as well as get some added touring capacity to the tank. Having a corrosion resistant tank would also help with storing the cars over the winter.

I'd be interested in seeing how much all that would cost to ship to Canada - so if there are any takers please let me know!

Rabin

I have two of those tanks free. If some one pays and handels all transportation issues those are free of charge on my side. (But without tank pump assembly, those are rost away from those).

V-M

It would need some modifications. It should be quite easy to remove the old tank but fitting the new plastic tank under the car is a different story? European 505's have the fuel filler flap on the drivers side unlike in US models and the rear muffler is on the passenger's side (US models have the exhaust coming out from the drivers side?). So, you would propably need to install the fuel filler system to the driver's side, cut three holes in the trunk floor (two are for providing access for the in-tank fuel pump and for the sensor, not mandatory but would help). You also need to make a fastening mechanism for the fuel tank under the car (the stock clamp is easy to replicate). So, the swap can be done but it requires some work. It would be vice to cut the fuel filler system from an european car and also acquire all needed parts. If someone really wants to do this, I'm sure we can provide needed parts from Europe. Shipping costs with air freight are propably quite high but there should be cheaper alternatives (cargo ship).

It may also be possible to somehow fit the fuel tank to the passenger's side but at least the filler pipe would go some strange route inside the trunk?

Do you want to see some detailed pictures of the fuel tank setup of an European 505?

Some detailed pics would be most appreciated!

As for shipping - sending it by sea would likely be the cheapest - but I'd have NO idea with respect to the costs involved. Sending it via ship would likely be quite economical - and I'd likely get it in spring which would be perfect.

As for the intank pump - I'd hope that they used the same pump in the NA spec trunk tank. If not - it shouldn't be as necessary. My plan is to use a Walbro 255 pump in my build up, but I may use the CIS pump instead since it can provide fuel flow and pressure for some serious power as well. (Peter Farrell used a Peugeot CIS pump on his first high output Mazda RX7 build up - he was the guy that raced the 505 in SCCA racing in the 80's that then went on to build monster Mazda RX7's)

US cars used the "primer" tank pump to make sure the main pump always had fuel. The main pump can work without the in tank primer pump - but it has to work much harder and is supposed to cause the main pump failure eventually. Do the Euro cars have the same system - or is the tank pump the main pump?

If you can provide detailed pics - it will let me see what would be involved with the retro fit. If it's possible - I'd be interested in everything needed to make it look "factory" - so the tank, driver side door assembly (including surrounding panel), tube to tank, pretty much anything that could be cut out and included...

I'm guessing the shipping cost itself won't be the issue - but getting the parts together, packaging it, and sending it off are going to be what should cost the most.

If this cost can be estimated - and if you can provide any shipping possibilities for sending it regular post via sea mail, then this is a mod I'd seriously consider doing...

(Body mods, tank mounting fabrication, and custom exhaust piping are all being done anyway - under trunk tank would just change some of my plans... Fabrication is going to be one of the joys of this long term project)

Thanks for checking into this guys!

BTW - any other North American's think this is cool - or I'm I the only one crazy enough to consider this? :o