89' 505 Turbo upgrades / fixes

Bean

This weekend I prepped the 89' to get Ziebart rust proofing and undercoating done. (Quote was $449)

Pulled all the door and trunk panels, then cleaned all the crevices with a flat blade, shop vac, and even rinsed the trunk rear quarters with water.

Took the car in this morning for them to apply their rust proofing to all the doors as well as the inner unibody cavities. I've also asked them to do the rear trailing arms and rear cross member while they're at it.

I figure this will be a car my daughter will be able to drive, and I wanted to preserve the car as best as possible.

Initially I felt bad I was running it as a winter car, but the car is so damn fun to drive in the winter - it's just an absolute joy. If I do replace this as a winter car - it'll have to be replaced with another 505 Turbo I think... :D

Rabin

They called me in to approve the work so far and to see if I wanted anything else done. They sprayed EVERYTHING underneat except for the exhaust. Me really as it really can't hurt anything. He said he spent a lot of time washing it so hopefully it sticks.

Whatever falls off I'll just re-prep and have them touch it up later. Doors and trunk quarter panels were nicely done - and since I had it all exposed he was able to really get in there good - which I liked.

I specified a few more areas, authorised holes to be drilled to access the rockers, dog leg, and b-pillars. Also showed him the holes on the a-pillars to use to get into there.

Better than not doing anything, and I hope that it should really help with preventing future rust, and slowing down any that has already started.

I'll take pics before re-assembly - but before the door panels go back on I want to see about using something like Dynamat or SecondSkin on the doors before the panels go back on. May as well as it should help make the car a lot nicer to drive in. Stereo should sound better too without some of the road noise.

Rabin

• 8 months later...

So - turns out the undercoating and the ziebart treatment was a colossal waste of time and money...

Undercoating is coming off in chunks, and the stuff they sprayed in the doors plugged all the drain holes... I spent a good 4-5 hours cleaning out the goop as best I could this spring, but after it sat this summer after the wiring melt down - even more pooped out of all sorts of areas...

So I'll likely need to do yet another clean out next spring / summer before it's OK. I also plan to strip out the crap undercoating they sprayed from the wheel wells and will re-do it with some proper Wurth products later...

And now for some NEW updates:

Last April the car died on the way to get it's newly painted hood from the college. While it was out of service this summer I fitted the new hood, as well as the painted spare trunk lid with the new spoiler... Did the final touches on the trunk install, and fitted the spoiler. I like the new spoiler - but it's still not PERFECT - so I'll keep an eye out for an even better fit. This one could grow on me though so we'll see. (My buddy thought it looked sweet - and it is pretty cool lookin') I just need to finish wiring in the third brake light on the spoiler, and I'm getting a key cut for the trunk lock as well. (Never had a trunk key with it)

I also had to wash off 5 months of grime, and had to varsol the ziebart crap off the panels and such, and will likely need to polish and wax the areas as it dulled the finish taking the stuff off.

I had also taken the side skirts off, and had them mould in the jack point covers and they resprayed those as well. Sadly they didn't fix the lower mounting points so quite a few of those holes still need repair before I can refit them.

I'll try to post some pic as it sits now, and hopefully I can fit the side skirts and finish wiring the trunk lid before doing the final pics...

Rabinh

That suxs my 86' daily has the Ziebart undercoat and its in the engine bay and all underneath, after the PO had his accident. I found the Bill of the front end repair with with a full repray and the undercoating, 4K on that Bill that was spent, But yeah I had to unclogg my door drains a week ago due to the rain we had.

If the car stays rust free, then it'll be worth the hassles - but that's a big IF, and it's going to be years before I know the car isn't rusting.... lol

BTW - When I was washing the car I noticed all the goop in the front fender opening to the doors... Pine needles found their way into the cavities they sprayed - and now are all clumped into the ziebart goop... So I'll be cleaning that out as well shortly.

Hopefully whatever remains coats and seals as it should and prevents rust... Still disappointed with the whole process though - I would have been farther ahead doing it myself.

Rabin

Oh dear GOD that's nice! Any other details on it?

Paint and all exterior trim bits are absolutely MINT! Mine is still a LONG way from looking like that - but I hope mine will look BETTER than that some day. (My wheel and tire combo will KILL those for sure)

And no - my car isn't lowered at all - everything is stock. I'll try to take and post a pic of how it looks now with the new rear spoiler in place.

Rabin

Edit: Damn Argentinians and their NEW 505s... (Just noticed the plate)

The side skirts are off the car at this point, and the rear bumper cover will be painted next so I wasn't worried. (front bumper cover will get done too this winter if the college can do both).

I'm still hoping someone got some pictures of me going around some corners... The guys were laughing as there wasn't one section on the 2 minute course where the car wasn't either sliding or spinning... :P

It was a LOT of fun...

BTW - this was the last dirt / loose surface event the car will ever see as it's going to be much too pretty to risk damage...

I need to work on the front and rear bumper fitment before they get painted. I want to make sure all the brackets are nice and straight and the bumpers are fitting as close to the body as possible...

With the new hood and trunk on the car I've pretty much nailed the alignment of panel gaps, and I've also corrected all four doors as well. A previous body repair is the only issue now - so I'm contemplating if it's worth redoing it so the car is perfect... (That will be before the sides get repainted later...)

Rabin

Haha, I'm just messin' around.

Your car looks great, and will look better with all the parts back on...

maybe see it at some auto-x/ time attack events? :P

Also, thought I might put it out there, that your car would look great with STI rims

oh yeah, and as you know, the late model Argentinean 505's had the US style bumpers, side markers and all.

Make for good comparisons to our cars.

I agree on the older style rims - but they don't fit... :P So stuck with the flat spokes till the front brake pads wear down - then there's supposed to be enough clearance to fit them...

If all goes well though - It'll be sporting the BMW wheels next summer.

I may have found a replacement 8.5x17 Racing Dynamics RGP to complete the set that I first got for this project. The factory style 138 wheels are freakin HEAVY with the 235-45-17's I have mounted to them, and the RGP's are pretty light - so I've been trying to track down a replacement so I can use them for track setup.

And yes - once the Dani engine is gone over, it's getting installed in the 89' along with the big brakes. It'll definitely see some track time to get it all dialed in nice as well.

Rabin