Loco Parts Availability

bill

I just found myself in need of a distributor cap, and I live across the street from an Autozone. So, I checked to see if they might have one, just to see. Sure enough, they have the cap and rotor on the shelf, which saves me from my typical routine of running down to the Import place several miles away. I used to be Bosch specific, and I still am, sorta, but after trying one of the funky Bosch oil filters that supposedly applied, but didn't, my loyalties are not as specific. (I could tell it was funky because the oil light took a few seconds to go out on a cold start. Not good- for it means that the check valve is non-operational. I later found out that Bosch farms out the production to Champion, and from what I gather, are cheapies, but with a higher price).

Anyway, I thought a list of stuff that could be had without going through the channels and waiting, would be nice.

I do have one to contribute off the bat- the thermostat gasket is shared with some Subarus, and it has been a normally stocked item.

Ditto for the belts.

I have a few more, but not right off the top of my head.

What is really sad is that many lists are dropping the whole Peugeot category, when many parts are shared with other makes.

Just a thought..

-Bill

That's a great idea Bill...

I know Koll is doing a "swaps to" list as he brings his 505 up to snuff, and I've done a little as I've needed it. So far my list is using an OEM Nissan thermostat - works amazing at keeping the temp rock steady.

So what would be the best way to document this for easy look up? Ideas?

Would a parts list broken up via area work? (Engine, tranny, maintenance etc.)

Rabin

Guest the505inme

If in need of an oil filter, steer clear of Napa. THey have the wrong p/n on file, and the filter won't even screw on, which I found out in the pouring rain on a SUnday (it just started raining after I dropped the oil) !

However, PArts Source does have the right fit filter, Fram p/n TG3985. This model has an anti drainback valve, like the OEM filters, so the oil light goes out right after start up.

Actually - it's best to fill the oil filter with oil before start up - no need to "prime" and your engine won't turn at all without oil - or at least less than at any other startup.

I'd like to find a ready souce for high end filters - I ran the top end OEM Subaru filter on my car and it's eliminated all cold startup noise the engine used to make. (345000 KM) The regular line OEM filter had some engine noise at start up which I attributed to the 345000 KM and loose tolerances - turns out the filters were all just crap.

BTW - the 505 Turbo shares the dist cap with a VW - so you could used nice VW OEM stuff if you like.

Rabin

Actually - it's best to fill the oil filter with oil before start up - no need to "prime" and your engine won't turn at all without oil - or at least less than at any other startup.

Your right Bean, I should have mentioned the filter "priming". However I'd still suggest running oil through the engine before a dry(ish) start after an oil change. This is a technique I've seen a few Peugeot and Citroen mechanics use in the past, so I've always tried to follow it. ("Especally on turbo-charged cars") :)

I've always had the best luck with Purflux filters, and try to stick with them. Mann filters also seem ok, and are available at most Europen parts sources (around here anyway). (Madhu at Disortex actually recommended Mann filters last time I spoke with him)

Guest the505inme

I go a step further when I change my N9te's oil, and pull the fuse for the fuel pump as well as killing power to the plugs. I 've been meaning to install an in line switch on that fuel pwr supply for a while now....and hide it somewhere out of the way.

Not sure on the need to "prime" the engine after an oil change if you've filled the oil filter - care to explain the logic?

In my head if the filter is filled with oil - it's just like any other engine start... Am I missing something?

Ideally it'd be cool to get a preluber - one of those accu-sump systems that store pressurized oil for when your racing and loose oil pressure (During high G cornering) this kicks in and lubes the engine. It'also used to lube the engine before firing - basically the oil circulates before the engine fires...

Rabin

IMHO this cranking without spark is only needed when engine in repaired (=opened) , normal oil change is as mentioned normal "morning" start. Any way I'm usually filling oil filter as much as possible (1/3) in oiland filter change. And I'm changing filter every time when oil is changed.

V-M

Nope - any oil in the turbo drains out of it into the pan at shutdown. Simply changing the oil isn't going to "drain" the turbo any more than usual...

I think the reason most people prime an engine after an oil change is that most people put the filter on empty. Priming the engine then fills the filter and presurizes the oil system - but the engine is still turning over dry till that filter fills up - it's just doing it slowly.

Filling the filter eliminates this - and the oil system pressurizes immediately at start up like any other cold start.

BTW - you'd be surprised how much oil the filter takes up - I usually fill it before I start working on the car, and I fill a couple times till the level no longer goes down. (Filter media takes a while to wick it up.)

Rabin