new to the site and peugeot

dan68rs

Wanted to say hi! I just picked up a 86 505 turbo on friday, 79k miles, clean car but not drivable yet. they guy that i bought it from said the trubo was bad, i do see alot of oil but not in the intake tubes and the turbo seems to be very tight. I pulled the plugs out last night and one of the plugs was broken, it was missing the ceramic on the inside of the plug. im going to check the cyl to see if there is any damage with a bore scope but hopefully the main trouble was the plugs.

Im in Birmingham Alabama, not sure if there is anyone around this area, i know i have never seen any around.

post-661-1254001905.jpg

Welcome to the board Dan!

79K miles it's just a baby... :( Good luck sorting it out - there's a ton of info on this site, so read away. Biggest thing to watch for with these is that they are known for a weak head - it cracks between the exhaust valve and the water jacket. Combustion pressurizes the cooling system - blows out a rad or a hose, and the thing over heats.

So if the cooling system is intact and there's coolant in it - that would be a good sign. Hopefully it is just the plugs! What a sweet deal that would be!

BTW - hopefully it came with some mags. There was a post on the yahoo group Peugeot-L for some later flat spoke mags just in case you didn't get the proper wheels with it.

Rabin

Yup - those are the steelies with hub caps off the GL model - great for winter tires, too bad you have no winters...

You can likely sell those for decent $$ to older Subaru (<89 loyale and others use the same bolt pattern)guys if you can't find a pug buyer for them. The alloy's make a big difference in both the look and handling. I prefer the older 15" alloy as they have more of a pattern - shouldn't be hard to find a set. There's a guy with a whack of Pugs in Georgia - so that might be close enough. (Join the yahoo group Peugeot-L and post there)

Any more details on the car? Does it have a sunroof? 5-sp?

Hopefully you get it sorted - they're a great drivers car.

Rabin

Turbo - You can get rebuild kits for these turbos quite cheap. They're easy to rebuild as long as there's no damage to the turbines. I've done a couple and they're dead easy.

Starter relay - not sure there is one as one of the failure points is the ignition switch. The fix is to install a relay that uses the small wire at the starter as the signal wire on the relay and then swiches a fresh 12V supply to the starter.

Some don't like the relay fix - but it makes sense to do to me.

Rabin

Turbo - You can get rebuild kits for these turbos quite cheap. They're easy to rebuild as long as there's no damage to the turbines. I've done a couple and they're dead easy.

Starter relay - not sure there is one as one of the failure points is the ignition switch. The fix is to install a relay that uses the small wire at the starter as the signal wire on the relay and then swiches a fresh 12V supply to the starter.

Some don't like the relay fix - but it makes sense to do to me.

Rabin

I was wondering about re-building the turbo myself. as far as the starting, i checked for volt at the small starter wire but not getting anything. I did find the topic about the starter relay though.

The usual symptom is that you get a starter solenoid click when you try to start - the small wire isn't giving a full 12V to actuate the solenoid and it doesn't start.

So if you're getting nothing at all when the key is turned to start - then you either have connector issues, ground issues, or the ignition switch is totally gone.

I had a 504 and a 505 that I rigged up with toggle switches and a push button starter - so if you want to do it on the cheap it is possible.

Rabin