SR20DET engine swap details

Metako

Here are a few details of my 505-SR20DET (NIssan) conversion:

-SR20DET has 148kw/200bhp at the flywheel, 110kw at the wheels

-body is a 1981 505

-using the SR20's 5-speed gearbox with a flange welded on to take the 505's torque tube (shortened)

-home-made engine mounts using factory 505 mounting holes on the crossmember

-had to lower the steering rack a few mm to clear the new engine

-has to relocate the battery to the opposite side of the engine compartment

-Volvo V6 fuel pump

-Momo steering wheel

-2 1/4 inch straight-through exhaust - a cat, main muffler and ressonator. May go to 3" later

-std springs at the moment but will have lowered ones made up soon

-std non LSD diff (hope it will stand up) but will go to LSD later

-Intercooler from a 2.5 litre twin turbo Supra

I had the first engineers inspection yesterday (needed so I can register the car). He said the lower rubber coupling on the steering column was too close to the engine (10mm) and had to be a minimum of 25mm for safety. So I will have to change it to a smaller universal type of coupling or a solid shaft as I later discovered it already has a universal coupling further up and I dont know that it needs two! (anyone know which models have this?) Also he was not sure the SR20's gearbox was strong enough to take the twisting of the torque tube arrangement, but was reassured when I offered to install the SR20's gearbox crossmember as added insurance (not normally needed with a torque tube). There were a few other problems but nothing major. As soon as I fix these I will have the second inspection. The car goes extemely well and is great fun on the dirt - very tailhappy!

very cool Metako! Keep us updated. I installed an LSD diff in my car when i did the rebuild. Haven't had a chance to really use it yet tho.. ;-). Also there's been some talk here about lowering springs so let us know what you come up with for that too!

• 1 month later...

Finally, here are a couple of pics of the conversion. I couldnt reduce the file size any more so was limited to two - is there any way to attach more pics (about 215kb each) ?

Look's nice. Make pictures resolution smaller 800x600 is ok then file size is ~60k

V-M

Very nicely done Metako! Looks like it belongs there... :D

It's nice to know we have other re-engine options for our beloved old cars. A SR20 DET is definitely a sweet engine with tremednous potential.

Keep us posted if you can let us know any performance statistics - I've very curious how it compares to the stock 505 Turbo that we got in North America...

Rabin

i wonder if it would work in a LHD 505. would there be enough clearance between the exhaust and the brake and clutch masters?

I will have a look next weekend when I visit the car to see if LHD would be possible. Thanks for the comments. Will try to get some performance figures once the car is street registered.

Finally, here are a couple of pics of the conversion. I couldnt reduce the file size any more so was limited to two - is there any way to attach more pics (about 215kb each) ?

Very nice! It looks like the engine was meant to be there. And there's something special about opening the bonnet of a 505 Turbo and seeing that red valve cover with NISSAN text. ;-)

Well I was told that Nissan is now owned by Renault so maybe its not so strange. I looked at the engine today in regard to LHD and I dont think the brake/clutch master would be a problem. The turbo dump pipe however would probably need to be remade in order to clear the steering shaft. Not a big job to do this. Here is a pic of the Supra intercooler.

post-55-1134823769.jpg

• 6 months later...

Someone kindly gave me a strut brace from an Mitsubishi EVO 7 and to my delight the length is just about perfect for my 505! One bolt hole on the each end matches perfectly and the other bolt would need the strut tower redrilled. The middle attachment point is a long way from the firewall but it would be possible to attach a plate/tube/plate arrangement I=I to the firewall so it would bolt up. Dont know if I will use this one as I have another single bar strut brace that I can use but I quite like the way the EVO one looks.

I finished converting to power steering today so all thats left is to put in a new (s/h)heater core and then its back to the engineer.

post-55-1151407764_thumb.jpg

post-55-1151407786_thumb.jpg

post-55-1151407807_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just an update:

car is now booked in for the final engineers inspection in 2 week. I have a temporary permit and have been driving the car and it is awesome! I've increased the boost from 8psi to 13 psi and its made a big difference - should be making about 135rwkw(180rwhp). Rock steady at 150kmph (the max speed in this state is 100kmph) and car is so eager to go over! Taking it easy though in case something falls off :huh: . Now I need to fix my handbrake as I discovered it is not working (hey it's a 505), adjust tacho which is reading too high (can these be adjusted-how?), fix heater fan which is suddenly not working etc etc. Had to weigh the car and it weighs 1300kg with a balance of 57% front and 43% rear, which is slightly more to front than std 505 - not ideal but OK (the Nissan gearbox is the main culprit I think - it weighs a ton!) Also had the exhaust emissions tested and the levels were too high for this engine but as my car is a 1981 model it will pass on 1981 levels - must look at O2 sensor or cat. Car is still pretty plain on outside so would like to spend some time soon on a few improvements - front spoiler, wheels, lowered springs etc.

Just an update:

car is now booked in for the final engineers inspection in 2 week. I have a temporary permit and have been driving the car and it is awesome! I've increased the boost from 8psi to 13 psi and its made a big difference - should be making about 135rwkw(180rwhp). Rock steady at 150kmph (the max speed in this state is 100kmph) and car is so eager to go over! Taking it easy though in case something falls off :huh: . Now I need to fix my handbrake as I discovered it is not working (hey it's a 505), adjust tacho which is reading too high (can these be adjusted-how?), fix heater fan which is suddenly not working etc etc. Had to weigh the car and it weighs 1300kg with a balance of 57% front and 43% rear, which is slightly more to front than std 505 - not ideal but OK (the Nissan gearbox is the main culprit I think - it weighs a ton!) Also had the exhaust emissions tested and the levels were too high for this engine but as my car is a 1981 model it will pass on 1981 levels - must look at O2 sensor or cat. Car is still pretty plain on outside so would like to spend some time soon on a few improvements - front spoiler, wheels, lowered springs etc.

as far as the tach calibration, check this out:

http://www.505turbo.com/505_instrument_cluster_procedure.php

Glad to hear its working out so far, keep us posted! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, had the "final" inspection with the engineer the other day and the under-car inspection was passed OK but when he went to do the brake fade test (15 sudden stops from 60kmph and then from 100kmph!) after 10 stops I blew two intercooler hoses off and sprung a leak in the power steering system and had to abandon the test! I cut the power steering belt off and limped home with manual steering only. Now I have to find where the PS was leaking from (just know its going to be expensive-boy those hydraulic hose guys charge like wounded bulls!) and install some of those heavy duty hose clamps on the IC hoses. Oh well, maybe next time. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

here's a link to more pics of my car

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/metako42/

I finally got the engineers certificate! Now I am fixing a few little things (like handbrake completely siezed up!) so I can get a roadworthy certificate so I can register the car. It seems never ending but it cant be too much longer now.

here's a link to more pics of my car

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/metako42/

I finally got the engineers certificate! Now I am fixing a few little things (like handbrake completely siezed up!) so I can get a roadworthy certificate so I can register the car. It seems never ending but it cant be too much longer now.

that looks really good Metako, i'm really impressed.

what is on the agenda other then the lowering springs?

here goes:

alarm system with remote and pager (have)

manual boost controler (I've already made this just need to install)

overboost canister

nice 17" wheels (Bean how are they going?)

3" exhaust (have only 2.25" now)

T28BB turbo

better intercooler (maybe s/h GTR R33)

chassis brace (across rails underneath)

strut brace (have this, need to install)

good sound system (have this, just need to install-DLS splits, pioneer 12" subs, Nachamichi amp, Alpine CD player)

LSD-one day I hope

mmm, that should keep me occupied for a while. :D

Wheels are waiting patiently... :D

Currently I have an 88 GLX V6 auto that I'm parting out. It was a hard passenger side hit - but I'm hoping to get some of the better parts out for the 86 GL-turbo. (IE The one piece lower a-arms)

I also have a rust free 85 Turbo 5-sp, and I've got a crazy idea of putting the V6 into it and mating it to the 5-sp. Have all the electronics out of the 88 already - and I have an older 604 bellhousing and flyweel - just need to figure out the RPM signal work around. (Old 604 bellhousing and flywheel doesn't have the sensor or trigger wheel.)

The 85 is the final parts car currently in storage, so once I can part out the 88' I can bring the 85 to my house, license my 76 504, and then bring in my 86 GL turbo for the long awaited mods.

So no answers yet on the 16/17" swaps - but I'm on course for getting it done this winter.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Well my car is finally registered and on the road! Cant tell you what a relief it is. The car initially went well but after turning the boost up from 8 psi to 13 psi and fitting the Momo Race steering wheel (taken off for the registration test) its begining to feel much more sporty. Now the "fun" part can begin! I will fit the "ugly" mag wheels next till I find some nice BMW rims on ebay. Then I will order the lowered springs. We had our first day of 40 degrees celsius today and the temp guage stayed glued to half way - a sign that the std 505 radiator is a good match for the SR20 engine.