Dual Exhaust on a V6?

Has anyone ever attempted a true dual exhaust on a V6? Or is it impossible due to the fuel tank placement?

The reason why I am asking is that I am still up in the air about getting myself a Peugeot 505, and recently found out there are 2 1988 STX's for sale by the same owner in Austin TX. One has a crunchy 2nd gear synchro though (they are both sticks), and it doesn't say if it's the one with 164k miles or the one with 402k!!! miles. I am assuming the latter, but I could be mistaken. He's selling just one of them for 1750, the other one he's keeping. My reasoning says that's because the low mileage car has the bad Synchro... There is a Peugeot repair shop over there, so I'd take it up there to have them check it out anyway, better be safe than sorry. Plus it's a long ass drive, so I don't want to get stranded!

They both need new paint too, both of them are blue, not my first choice (silver metallic) but oh well. Changing a car color means stripping it down completely, and building it back up after it has been painted and I don't have the know how to mess with that just yet. It is going to be a learning experience for me, and I think the V6 is the simplest of all 505's.

I haven't contacted him because I am buying a house, and I can't get a third car until I got that house in my possession. I don't want to waste his time by being interested, and then cutting off because of my personal situation. It's taking a little while longer yet as the house is a short sale, and the seller reduced the price to get it off their hands without notifying the bank. We're all ready to go, and they are dicking around. It could take to October, and even then it's not 100% sure that I'll get that house for that price. If they say they can't sell it for the price we're not buying...

Naturally I will waste your time with this post... :P

Guest italiogem76

Has anyone ever attempted a true dual exhaust on a V6? Or is it impossible due to the fuel tank placement?

The reason why I am asking is that I am still up in the air about getting myself a Peugeot 505, and recently found out there are 2 1988 STX's for sale by the same owner in Austin TX. One has a crunchy 2nd gear synchro though (they are both sticks), and it doesn't say if it's the one with 164k miles or the one with 402k!!! miles. I am assuming the latter, but I could be mistaken. He's selling just one of them for 1750, the other one he's keeping. My reasoning says that's because the low mileage car has the bad Synchro... There is a Peugeot repair shop over there, so I'd take it up there to have them check it out anyway, better be safe than sorry. Plus it's a long ass drive, so I don't want to get stranded!

They both need new paint too, both of them are blue, not my first choice (silver metallic) but oh well. Changing a car color means stripping it down completely, and building it back up after it has been painted and I don't have the know how to mess with that just yet. It is going to be a learning experience for me, and I think the V6 is the simplest of all 505's.

I haven't contacted him because I am buying a house, and I can't get a third car until I got that house in my possession. I don't want to waste his time by being interested, and then cutting off because of my personal situation. It's taking a little while longer yet as the house is a short sale, and the seller reduced the price to get it off their hands without notifying the bank. We're all ready to go, and they are dicking around. It could take to October, and even then it's not 100% sure that I'll get that house for that price. If they say they can't sell it for the price we're not buying...

Actually I have a 1988 505 GLX V6 engine and I am going to do dual exhaust and 3" pipes with free flow exhaust - Its automagic transmission, but really hauls a$$ for sure. I keep thinking of selling it and getting something else like a saab (thats what I had before), but when I get in to drive to work everyday, I know why I have the car I have -> its silky smooth and reliable and really gets up and goes -> I installed a K&H cone air intake and it really helped it accelerate faster.

Speed is not really my goal. I got a 2005 mustang GT for that objective. No matter what 505 you got, no 505 matches that car for straight line performance. It actually goes around corners pretty good as well if you keep your foot down. Horrible understeer due to that big lump of engine in the front otherwise.

The 505 would actually become the flagship in my fleet. The daily driver. I also want to make it nice enough to take to car shows. I never see any Peugeot's there, so I am bound to win something! But only if I can get it nice and clean. The only things I want to do is a dual exhaust, and maybe intake if I can make it look right. LSD is something I'd love, but since it is not a high powered sedan I can live without it. STX's come standard with it as they all have ABS I believe.

I just hope I can get the final hurdle out of the way... My own house! A full time position at my current employer would be grand too! More money to spend on the new addition that way :P

Guest italiogem76

Speed is not really my goal. I got a 2005 mustang GT for that objective. No matter what 505 you got, no 505 matches that car for straight line performance. It actually goes around corners pretty good as well if you keep your foot down. Horrible understeer due to that big lump of engine in the front otherwise.

The 505 would actually become the flagship in my fleet. The daily driver. I also want to make it nice enough to take to car shows. I never see any Peugeot's there, so I am bound to win something! But only if I can get it nice and clean. The only things I want to do is a dual exhaust, and maybe intake if I can make it look right. LSD is something I'd love, but since it is not a high powered sedan I can live without it. STX's come standard with it as they all have ABS I believe.

I just hope I can get the final hurdle out of the way... My own house! A full time position at my current employer would be grand too! More money to spend on the new addition that way :P

Dont do the ABS 505's Nightmare to repair and you really dont need it -> still stops on the dime

thats why i have the GLX and not the ST whatever

the 505 actually feels much better than most of the saabs, but they will pull more MPG with that 4 cylinder in-line -> my old saab 900 used to get 32 MPG and my V6 505 gets around 24 or so

bah, how can you even compare a 505 to a slaab?

in my opinion, RWD>FWD.

jk, 900 spg's are the shit.

Actually I have a 1988 505 GLX V6 engine and I am going to do dual exhaust and 3" pipes with free flow exhaust - Its automagic transmission, but really hauls a$$ for sure. I keep thinking of selling it and getting something else like a saab (thats what I had before), but when I get in to drive to work everyday, I know why I have the car I have -> its silky smooth and reliable and really gets up and goes -> I installed a K&H cone air intake and it really helped it accelerate faster.

Don't do 3" pipes from the header back - you'll lose too much torque when you kill the exhaust velocity in those big pipes. Each side of that V6 is only 1.4L, so I would do 1.75 - 2" max. Go 3" only if there's a twin turbo system you're installing first!

Also - unless you do side exit - 3" won't fit over the cross member. Just make sure you have them install an X-pipe close to the engine as they can.

BTW - tank isn't an issue - it's in the trunk... :P

Rabin

If I am doing a true dual from the headers I am not going to make it 3 inches each. Like you said, 1.75 - 2 inches would be just fine. I might make it a fake dual first for a couple of years, as I will need to run a cat till the car is 25 here in the states. Unless I can find a way to have 2 cats instead of one. The mustang for instance has 2 cats, one on each side, just after the headers. That runs down to the H pipe. That sucker has 3 inch piping, and many are running superchargers with the same exhaust system. That would be the number one indication that you don't need 2 x 3 inch pipes.

I think I'll go with an H pipe though. X pipe is know to rob one from lower end torque as well.

And no, it's going to be stock apart from the exhaust and the intake. No intention to blow up the engine on something so precious by adding boost. But first things first. Cross my fingers so I can get the house so I actually have a place to put it, and naturally the availability of one of those 505's!

italiogem76 -> I'd love to get my hands on a non ABS (and thus LSD) car, but if that's not possible, and if the ABS works... what the heck... If it breaks, the car should still brake without it. Although I've heard from someone that when the ABS goes out on a 505 all breaking is gone?

Well, if I get an ABS equipped car I just hope it works... I am not all that hung up on the system anyway, in my older Peugeot I never really skidded out of control.

I think the V6 is the best engine they put in those cars, that engine is long lived, gets decent fuel economy,

and doesnt have the headgasket issues of the N9T. Id say in a race the V6 and the turbo are about a wash.

I think the V6 is the best engine they put in those cars, that engine is long lived, gets decent fuel economy,

and doesnt have the headgasket issues of the N9T. Id say in a race the V6 and the STOCK turbo are about a wash.

Fixed... :P

I agree fully that out of the box the V6 is a damn nice car to drive. Fast, responsive, and great torque down low so the car feels really good.

Power potential is superior in the turbo cars for cheaper however. It's still be nice to do a built twin turbo V6 though - that would make for a VERY fast sedan.

Rabin

Fixed... :P

I agree fully that out of the box the V6 is a damn nice car to drive. Fast, responsive, and great torque down low so the car feels really good.

Power potential is superior in the turbo cars for cheaper however. It's still be nice to do a built twin turbo V6 though - that would make for a VERY fast sedan.

Rabin

Either that or you swap one of the later 3.0 PRV's in it from a 605. BUUT... not the one from the SV24. Even though it has 200bhp, the way that engine is set up is not very friendly to a mechanic I've heard. Twin turbo avec 300+ horse in a car that weighs around 3,200 lbs including driver = mustang killer for sure. The mustang I got has 300 horse and weighs around 3,650 including driver. 0-60 in sub 6 seconds and 0-100 in under 14 seconds is a tough thing to beat. But I bet a twin turbo PRV6 would do so if you got a nice rear end that can take the abuse and lock both wheels instead of spinning one... The cars I mentioned in my first post are 88 STX's, and they'll have ABS standard, and thus no locking rear diff. And unlike old American cars which have lockers just about everywhere and no ABS I don't think you'd get a peugeot LSD diff to work with that stupid ABS in there. Makes me wonder if you could get rid of the ABS system altogether and just have regular brakes.

But I don't want to do that. Just a stock 2.8 PRV with a dual exhaust and an intake. I want it as a daily driver, I doubt a twin turbo PRV would be as reliable. Especially with my tendency to use power when I know it is there. I'd be racing mustangs and camaro's left and right to humiliate them. And get a licenseplate that says something like "meslow" or "55mph"

• 1 year later...

If I am doing a true dual from the headers I am not going to make it 3 inches each. Like you said, 1.75 - 2 inches would be just fine. I might make it a fake dual first for a couple of years, as I will need to run a cat till the car is 25 here in the states. Unless I can find a way to have 2 cats instead of one. The mustang for instance has 2 cats, one on each side, just after the headers. That runs down to the H pipe. That sucker has 3 inch piping, and many are running superchargers with the same exhaust system. That would be the number one indication that you don't need 2 x 3 inch pipes.

I think I'll go with an H pipe though. X pipe is know to rob one from lower end torque as well.

And no, it's going to e stock apart from the exhaust and the intake. No intention to blow up the engine on something so precious by adding boost. But first things first. Cross my fingers so I can get the house so I actually have a place to put it, and naturally the availability of one of those 505's!

italiogem76 -> I'd love to get my hands on a non ABS (and thus LSD) car, but if that's not possible, and if the ABS works... what the heck... If it breaks, the car should still brake without it. Although I've heard from someone that when the ABS goes out on a 505 all breaking is gone?

hey buddy i don't want to rain on ur parade but im with rabin on this one,anything bigger than 2 inch ur asking for trouble ur gonna end up with burnt up exhaust valves or end up warping them keep in mind its only a 2.8v6 not a 4.6v8 u still need some back pressure for torque and acceleration plus your also gonna be messing with the factory vacuum specifications under the hood.and not to be a crap takler but i was racing an svt 4.6 about two months ago down from big bear and spanked him due to all the turns my car catches up to stock srt4's on the freeway all i did was carefully retune the maf to run a lil richer all i would need is a small serpentine supercharger and i wouldn't doubt any 505 would blow the doors off your mustang. mines only a glx 5spd with aftermarket intake.

- horhay

hey buddy i don't want to rain on ur parade but im with rabin on this one,anything bigger than 2 inch ur asking for trouble ur gonna end up with burnt up exhaust valves or end up warping them keep in mind its only a 2.8v6 not a 4.6v8 u still need some back pressure for torque and acceleration plus your also gonna be messing with the factory vacuum specifications under the hood.and not to be a crap taller but i was racing an svt 4.6 about two months ago down from big bear and spanked him due to all the turns my car catches up to stock srt4's on the freeway all i did was carefully retune the mad to run a lil richer all i would need is a small serpentine supercharger and i wouldn't doubt any 505 with blow the doors off your mustang. mines only a glx 5spd with afyetmarket intake.

Agree on that too. And doing supercharged u need better engine management if u want power out and of cause change pistons etc... without doing engine works you can do only 0.3bar or less boost. And I think H piping works on V6 okay (eaven odfire engine) X-piping could be better on V8's (no experince for comparing) I have only driven paxton compressor V8 with and without H-pipe (Pontiac Firebird -99)

V-M

• 1 month later...
Guest EUROTRASH

Agree on that too. And doing supercharged u need better engine management if u want power out and of cause change pistons etc... without doing engine works you can do only 0.3bar or less boost. And I think H piping works on V6 okay (eaven odfire engine) X-piping could be better on V8's (no experince for comparing) I have only driven paxton compressor V8 with and without H-pipe (Pontiac Firebird -99)

V-M

I'm thinking of doing a dual exhaust too, can't think of a single reason why not to. I have pictures of the rear bumper already cut out but for some reason I can't access the photos, they're here on this forum.