Making N9T valve cover gaskets

N9TE

So, the suppliers I use have temporarily run out. W-H wants $50 for the cork one. Seems to be the going price.

Anyway, I found a couple of die-cut markers here in the Seattle area. I'm thinking of reproducing them. :D

So, rather than do the lame cork ones, what was the material that the Fel-Pros were back in the day? Is there a material that would work better than cork?

Fel-Pro's were cork.

So, the suppliers I use have temporarily run out. W-H wants $50 for the cork one. Seems to be the going price.

Anyway, I found a couple of die-cut markers here in the Seattle area. I'm thinking of reproducing them. :D

So, rather than do the lame cork ones, what was the material that the Fel-Pros were back in the day? Is there a material that would work better than cork?

cork is good (I would eaven say best)... if used and istalled right way. IMHO

V-M

I'll go in on a group buy if you want to have them die cut. Anyone else? It's not like we won't need them forever.

-George

I'd be in for a set for sure - but would suggest them out of silicone sheet maybe... Silicone is really nice stuff for all other matter replacement rubber bits. Other than that - Cork is probably the best in my view - but I found the Fel-pro cork gaskets to be a bit on the thin side. Be nicer to have them a wee bit thicker.

I loved the re-useable rubber vc gaskets when they've been on my XN6 motors - but those are a rare find as well.

As for numbers - depends on cost and so numbers I'd want would range from 2 to 10. If there's another price point higher up as well - that might be a consideration.

As George said - we need these for ever right? :D

BTW - another source for re-production is laser water jet cutters. Precision is amazing and can cut a stack of them with no issues at all. Easy to set up as well from what I understand.

Another option would be to send one to Cometic and see if they'd add it to their line up - they already have a headgasket pattern and can make those as well.

Rabin

• 9 months later...

Got an e-mail from Madhu at Parts Network and he has valve cover gaskets in stock now - contact him via his e-mail [email protected]

I was saving my last Fel-pro one to use as a pattern, but now that Madhu has them I'll use mine up and replace it later with a new one.

Rabin