e32 bmw 735 or w124 mercedes wagon

85-505

Hey Dudes

I'm having trouble deciding what car to buy. The last few months I've been scouring craigslist like a crack addict looking for a lost rock. :lol: I haven't found any suitable puegeots in the area, there is a 405 mi16 but I just cant get excited about a fwd car. I've narrowed it down to 2 cars and i've test driven them. similar prices.

merecedes 300te

- test drove this today, it is very nice looking, nice rims,etc. its a japanese import. driver side power window wouldn't open, seems to be off its track. theres a small hole in the tailpipe and something makes a weird noise or vibrates when driving, possibly the tires got flat spotted from sitting to long, or maybe the driveshaft is about to fall out.. I can't tell. It's a fairly quick car too

91 bmw 735il

I test drove this a few weeks ago. It's very nice, the dealer claims its a 1 owner car, has about 40,000km more on the odometer than the Merc. Everything works as far as I could check, it drives very nice. I think it would be perfect with a 5 speed.. I just worry about it breaking down and sucking all my money out of the bank - its a bit ridicolous, practically a limo

does anybody have any experience with these models? I may offer 2800$ for the merc and see if they take it .. but I'll wait a few days before making any big decisons

neither.

go for a nice e34.

you'd be very happy, nice family sized sedan...or if you lucky, find a touring.

My next car is 80% likely to be a bimmer...either a E30 M-tech, or an E36 M3...I've already test-driven a few e36 m3's and i have to say they're exhiliarting.

much much, MUCH, more power than my N/a 505 :lol:

New baby correct?

I'd go the MB over the sedan any day. Neither are performance cars, but the wagon is pure euro cool. Put winter tires on the stock alloys and pick up some nice 17" or 18" alloys for summer.

Car is pretty tough, and shouldn't be any harder to maintain than a Peugeot. Just treat the auto right with regular fluid changes / flushes.

Wouldn't take much to make it a sweet family hauler that looks wicked. Still has a enough zip for decent driving, and it'd handle quite well with the uprated wheels and tires if you went that route.

Rabin

Ya, I'm thinking of getting a wagon. Would love a Peugeot, but the situation demand that this car be "more modern" (ABS, etc.).

I'm leaning towards the A4 2.8 wagon. (late 90s, early 00s).

I've heard the A6 Avant is a POS in terms of reliability. Is the 2.8 in the old A6 Avants the same engine that's in the A4?

I do believe that 2.8L is common between the A4 and A6 - but you'd have to verify that to be 100%.

They're kind of a dog though - so do yourself a favor and check out a nice 00' V70R Volvo... 00' had some good bits, and I'm pleased as can be with mine...

They're a steal for the prices they're going for, really good forums for support, and the R is a really nice sports wagon. Seats kill the Audi's as well.

Rabin

What is the "R"?

Looking for something "not big". Wife will be driving it. Hence the initial pull towards the A4. If the V70 big? I also see the V40 introduced in 2000. Any good?

I was thinking of the 9-3 or 9-5, but I'm reading that they have a lot of relibility issues. Ideally, I'd like to get her a IS300 SportCross, but those are still $10K+. Something dead-reliable, safe, comfortable, well made, that can make trips to Home Depot when needed.

(Sorry to hi-jack the thread).

On original thread... I'd opt for the M-B, but diesels require a certain zen to maintain. The 7 series can cost an arm and leg when they go sideways. I'd opt for a 5 series. If fact, a 5 series wagon is on our list as well.

Yup I have a 7 month old daughter so I'd like lots of room for strollers, etc.

The Benz is a gas , 6 cylinder. Pretty quick, revs nicely. 7 seater too. It will defintely need some attention to be 100%. It made sort of whump-whump noise when driving .. maybe a wheel bearing is bad.. These things have hydropnemautic rear suspension, like a citroen :lol: I test drove another one that didn't have the noises but they wanted 7 grand for it.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the big beemer, the transmission seemed a little slow thats about it.

5 series wagons are sweet but I see like 2 a year

Theres a lot of good deals out there right now, it's a good time to buy a car. Maybe not so good for selling

The volvo v70 R is basically a more powerful, AWD V70.

I'd go for a P1 (X70) car which shares a body with the older Volvo 855. The newer P2 VR's have a load of issues.

My parents own a P2 XC70 which I briefly drove, that thing has had more problems than my old 240. Not to mention a dead tranny @ +/- 60k. Couple thousand right there.

But the X70/newer modern volvo i'd suggest looking at is the V70 T5. They were FWD, but some of them had the really rare 5-speed.

This is what a nice V70 looks like....

99_Laser_00_Olive.jpg

99_Laser_00_Olive_2.jpg

99_Laser_00_Olive_3.jpg

Olive_19_s.jpg

Koll (and 85-505) - the 00' V70R is the model to get. The R then has the newer 5-sp auto, factory twin mufflers, rear spoiler, 261 HP, and the TDO5-19T turbo. 12" rotors up front and vented rear disks. (that separtes it from the 98 - 99 run)

It's the definition of sleeper and should have no problems dicing it up with an S4 Audi avant of the same vintage... It's not a "big" car - but it is built like a tank. 3800 lbs, but the handling is quite good. Not Peugeot handling good as it doesn't handly sharp impacts well - but the suspension is also firmer in the R and it handles really quite well. Very much like a sport sedan as you don't feel the wagon behind you. Brakes are also fantastic.

As for the Benz wagon - If you're serious I'd spend the coin for a used car inspection at a Benz dealership. The techs will pick it apart if they're any good and you'll get some bargaining power for negotiations and a budget for what needs to be fixed. Benzes can be just a big a white elephant as that old 735 - so make sure to get it checked out well.

I love wagons though - so I'm a bit biased... :lol:

Rabin

To koll~

also DO check the newer Subaru Outbacks.

Since you like Turbos, take a look at the 2.5XT model.

Got a chance to test drive one today with my father (who's in the market for another car), and it is phenomenal.

The 5-speed stick is great, and the response off the line is insane.

Plus the AWD is great for the mtns, etc...

My parents need another AWD car for going up to our cabin up in Tahoe.

I'd like to stay in the $6-10K range. That eliminates any real new cars. Most likely cars of 00 vintage or so. My friend is a Subaru owner and roached his 99 2.5's headgasket. I hear they went through three generation of headgasket types to finally solve the problem. Heard this happened in 03(?). So, although the newer cars are probably great, they're too spendy at the moment.

Lexus is out - they recommend "no towing" with the car. Lame.

Reading of a lot of quality issues with the Volvos. Especially the V40. I'll have to look at the V70, but it looks big. If we go big, I'd just as soon opt for the Previa AllTrac supercharged.

Still leaning towards the 2.8 A4 Avant.

You find anything yet Evan?

If I was you, I'd steer clear of the S40/V40 Volvos.

Those are usually 'hated on' by almost all Volvo enthusiasts.

Considering your price range: I'd say these....by the way...Previa Alltrac S/C? If you like those, go for a SV21 All-Trac or Canadian 4WD.

I used to drive a brown 89' SV21 All-Trac Sedan, it was great besides the autotragic.

Here's the list I'd suggest:

-Volvo V70R, or AWD, or if you can take the FWD, go for a T5.

-98-00' V70XC (awd) Not the power of a R, but you can get stuff like MTE ECU, and just a load of iPd upgrades..

-Maybe a Bimmer E46 Touring, xi.

-B5 Audi S/A4 Avant. My friend has a 3.0 Sedan stick, it is Quick.

-Volvo 855 R or T5-R. Very very fast cars. You'll definately have fun with this one.

-Just like Evan, W124 4m Wagon.

Or if you're willing to go RWD.....

-93' Volvo 245 Wagon (I have a 91.5' it is probably one of the most FUN cars known to man...with a stick)

-Volvo 965/V90 (wagon) the most refined/last RWD car that volvo had.

I researched the crap out of a LOT of wagons before narrowing it down to the 00' V70R. Biggest issues they face are the 5-sp auto tranny, bevel gear, and the electronic TB (it's throttle by wire).

So I found a car with great service maintenance, then swapped all the fluids to Redline gear oils for the rear diff and the bevel gear, and AMSOIL universal ATF for the tranny. (I like preventative maintenance) If my TB ever fails Volvo warranties them to 200000 miles, and if it's past that there's a company that converts the manual TB location sensor with an electronic sensor which is a $500 fix (not that terrible.) Other than those things the car is pretty darn bullet proof. Audi, BMW, and MB had their own issues as well - and the Volvo killed them with interior space, comfort, and the AWD combo.

Car is running fantastic and is loads of fun to drive. It's a serious highway Q ship as it eats up the miles in a very sporty suspension (firm and very controlled), with very comfy seats and a very nice stock Alpine audio system (made nicer with a 10 infinity sub). Just put on 900+ KMS this weekend it total comfort.

If I was in the market again though - there's a few 98 - 00' V70R's that have been swapped with the newer 6-sp M66 tranny - so I'd try to find one of those. A 6sp manual would make it a crazy good car!

Rabin