Mi-16 article in European Car...

Bean

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd mention that on the last page of the latest European Car - Kevin Clemens writes about the M1-16. "Prelude to Disaster - The Peugeot 405 Mi-16" is the title.

Basic story of how Peugeot blew it in the US through poor management/marketing despite having decent cars....

Now to get them to do an article on one of the nicer 505 Turbo's!

It's been a goal to eventually get my 505 Turbo profiled in a magazine... There's a builder in Regina (where I live) that has had 4-5 cars profiledin European Car - they actually come hereto check them out. If I ever have a car worthy I might be able to at least get them to take a look when they come to take a look at Cam's latest creation... (www.cwstuning.com)

Later...

Rabin

awesome! Peugeot really did have some decent cars here. They had their flaws, but not unlike any other make. Personally i think the mi16 could have really been a hit. Such a solid car, so much character, an absolute blast to drive. I think i enjoy driving my mi16 more than the other cars i have owned, too bad the 'project potential' isnt quite as high as with other cars like the 505 turbo.

Peugeot used to have some cars that I think were really special--things like the 505 Turbo, 405 Mi16, 405 T16, as well as their race bred 205 and 405 Turbo 16s. I might even include the 605 SV24 because of the awesome cylinder heads with 12 exhaust ports and two 6 tube headers fitted to the 3.0 liter 6 cylinder. It seems like Peugeot lost something sometime in the mid 1990s.

I have to give the 406 Coupe some credit--it followed the tradition set by the 404 and 504 Coupes, and all three were visually stunning cars. I think the normal 406 was a sharp looking car (both first and second series). I can't say I'm crazy about Peugeot's new styling formula... I guess all good things come to an end.

Beyond styling, I can't think of any new Peugeot that is mechanically significant. Maybe one of their hatchbacks has some top-o-the-heap performance capabilities, but everything else is sort of boring... and it's been that way for a while now.