damit just blew out my two rear tiers :( to much snow!

Guest dane

trying to get up a hill to my buddy's house i couldn't get all the way to the top but i kept trying like a dumb ass and spun the tires for to long and blew them out :D

Don't get me wrong i love snow but to much i don't love!

trying to get up a hill to my buddy's house i couldn't get all the way to the top but i kept trying like a dumb ass and spun the tires for to long and blew them out :D

Ya, ain't it a killer? I've had to drive through this soup. RWD 89 Cressida with 2 Kuhmo Izgen snows (no studs - but studable). No problem yet.

I'm now a convert on good snow tires! Everybody else is either a well-equipped 4x4 or cabled-up car. Too bad I don't have a pair for my 86. I'd rather be driving that!

Ya, ain't it a killer? I've had to drive through this soup. RWD 89 Cressida with 2 Kuhmo Izgen snows (no studs - but studable). No problem yet.

I'm now a convert on good snow tires! Everybody else is either a well-equipped 4x4 or cabled-up car. Too bad I don't have a pair for my 86. I'd rather be driving that!

ya it is and its still coming down hard core over hear we have about a foot right now how much you guys have in Seattle?

i just took my car in today to get new tiers 120$ for two tiers :D and it was a 3 hour wate it sucked

and what sucks more is that im still getting stuck!!

ha i hate it im all stuck off to the side of the road and theirs all these suv's 4x4 drive cars just flyin passed me ha. :)

Dane - 505 Turbo's are FANTASTIC in the snow with proper winter tires. I've pushed through so much snow that when I finally was forced to a stop and backed up - I left a complete imprint of the 505 front end in the snow bank I pushed up. 14" of powder - it was coming up over the hood after a while but it kept going!

With 4 studded tires - only an AWD with studs can beat you.

Weather in Saskatchewan Canada is some of the most extreme anywhere in the world, so both my cars are AWD and have 4 winter tires. Its so much fun to drive in snow it's not even funny. Only other car I'd consider is a 505.

Rabin

Dane - 505 Turbo's are FANTASTIC in the snow with proper winter tires. I've pushed through so much snow that when I finally was forced to a stop and backed up - I left a complete imprint of the 505 front end in the snow bank I pushed up. 14" of powder - it was coming up over the hood after a while but it kept going!

With 4 studded tires - only an AWD with studs can beat you.

Weather in Saskatchewan Canada is some of the most extreme anywhere in the world, so both my cars are AWD and have 4 winter tires. Its so much fun to drive in snow it's not even funny. Only other car I'd consider is a 505.

Rabin

o i know its a blast when it first started snowing with tiers i had i could actually drive around me and my buddy's went out at like 3 in the morning when theirs nobody on the road and we just drift all over the roads ha take up both lain its so fun :) but the snow it two deep now and my house is in the middle of two hills and they arnt little hills ether so im kinda stuck :P and ya if i had the right tiers i could see how the 505 would do good in the snow but i didn't have the money right then for some nice tiers so i had to get some real cheep kind and i only got the rear tiers :D

how much snow you guys have over their right now?

let see....me?

none at all!

I live on an Island next to Oakland, on the San Francisco Bay.

The rain is gone, and the grounds have dried up.

Hopefully the rain man will drop some soon!

...but about 40 mis away where a bunch of my friends are, theres a little bit of snow on the local mt, Mt. Diablo...

may go up there..

We have about a foot from the three days. And it's sticking around. Most intense snow in memory - and I'm old! It's been over 20 years since we had anything like this. Is there anything Global Warming can't do?

People rag on our asses about being pansies in the snow. Sure, maybe. But I've seen very few cars inop during this last week. It doesn't make fiscal sense to "be prepared" for winter driving. You'll probably sell the car before you'll ever get a chance to use them. And we have HILLS here. I lived in Chicago and the wife is from Detroit and they don't even have small grades. Most midwesterners would call what we have here mountains. Seattle has a grand total of 21 plows.

I might get a set of these awesome snows for the 86, but not the 87. It was the first year of ABS and didn't have the LSD or Torsen. Maybe I should swap out a diff sometime down the road.

Guest EUROTRASH

It snowed about a foot down in the valleys in Salt Lake City, luckily it rained a little bit today and melted some of if off, only a little bit of slush left on the ground.

The Hankook Zovac PW50 tires do just fine even though they weren't very pricey. So long as I'm on leveled ground I can push through anything, if I have to go uphill or downhill and I'm not carrying any momentum then I have a problem.

my car used to have a limited slip-"additive" but it was removed a few years back, in the last years of my dad's care.

Rob - That doesn't really make sense. All Peugeot's have LSD's - the turbo's and V6's just have stronger lock up. (40% for regular cars, 80% for Turbo/V6's - from memory) 89's are different again with Torsen diffs.

The diff does work well with GM LSD additive added to the fluid, or I've had great luck with Redline NS gear oil to help lock up the diff even more.

So not sure what was "removed" in yours, and the only way it could be an open diff is if it was replaced with an 88' diff from an ABS car.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

trying to get up a hill to my buddy's house i couldn't get all the way to the top but i kept trying like a dumb ass and spun the tires for to long and blew them out :P

I'm curious, what happened exactly?? The tires overheated with all the friction? Were they pretty worn out to begin with? It seems odd to me.

• 2 months later...
Guest EUROTRASH

and pardon me, but i'm not too familiar with how the differentials work.

i only know a little bit about them...

I'm not exactly sure how they work either (no clue) but I know what they're for.

I noticed a long time ago that when I turned really slow I could hear a scraping.. almost cracking sound from the back. Every time I took the car to the mechanic I would ask him to check on it, see if he found anything wrong... and I always got the same answer.. "UH, NOPE! EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE!" ...yeah, bullshit. Then I put my two remaining brain cells to work and started thinking about the rear differential.

Two days ago I replaced the oil in the rear differential, not only it was black... it smelled horrible. New oil, noise is gone... and it was probably the easiest thing I've ever done on my car.

I put 80W 90 gear oil, regular Valvoline.

The manual specifies the need for an additive to the mix, I didn't use any. Any thoughts on this Rabin?

Hi Fernando,

Just go to a GM dealership and ask for their LSD additive. That's all you need to add to the diff and you'll be good to go.

Rob - I bet if you added Redline 75W90NS to your diff it'd help it lock up more eventually. My 85 STI locked up real nice after I added the Redline to it.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Hi Fernando,

Just go to a GM dealership and ask for their LSD additive. That's all you need to add to the diff and you'll be good to go.

Rob - I bet if you added Redline 75W90NS to your diff it'd help it lock up more eventually. My 85 STI locked up real nice after I added the Redline to it.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin, I will do that.

Followup article on the Detonation Sensor Indicator coming soon.