By-pass valve

Hmm, I've had the by-pass valve installed since July but I really "haven't had time" to investigate how it's working. ;-D The exhaust manifold (gasket) is leaking quite much now, I don't know how that's affecting the performance (increases lag?). I'll replace try to replace the gasket soon and then properly analyse that... I don't think this valve should make any noise that I would be able to hear inside the car when driving.

At least I got one in July from a local Peugeot dealer. The part number is 0349.C0 and it costs 33,82 e (that has about 5-10 % discount). I only bought one because of the price but I really should get more in case they will be sold out in the future. If they are available in Europe, they should be somehow obtainable in US too. I don't think they are really out of stock from the factory?

I also bought some gaskets that are made for the naturally-aspirated version 9N2 (for example Talbot Tagora and Murena) and they were very inexpensive. They don't have those metallic reinforcement layers and therefore are also thinner. I had to put two of them to make the exhaust manifold fit. I don't think they'll last very long or fit properly enough for the turbo engine - maybe that's the reason why my exhaust manifold nuts are staying secured only for a while and the manifold is leaking badly after 10 000 km. I'll take some pictures when I replace the gasket.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a custom gasket done?

BTW, the oil pan gasket is already discontinued from factory. :-( The local Peugeot dealer said that it should be possible to use some sealing compound they use in newer cars.

aaah yes, the oil pan gasket is super hard to find here too.. i got one in an aftermarket bottom end N92 gasket set but it was pretty thin and low quality.

i'm not sure if the exhaust mani gaskets are NFP from peugeot in FR, but i know they aren't being imported anymore via Peugeot north america.

What about getting some made out of copper?

There's a water jet cutting company here that will duplicate anything you give them for a reasonable fee. Should be able to get some exhaust gaskets cut from the old one (used as a template) fairly easily.

From what I understand - you just stack x-number of sheets and it cuts through all of them identically. Be nice fast way to make 5 or so gaskets - we'd just have to figure out what thickness to run.

I've never heard it used for exhaust - but if it's used as head gasktet material it should hold up to the exhaust as well.

If there's interest I'll see if I can price it out...

Rabin

What about getting some made out of copper?

There's a water jet cutting company here that will duplicate anything you give them for a reasonable fee.  Should be able to get some exhaust gaskets cut from the old one (used as a template) fairly easily.

From what I understand - you just stack x-number of sheets and it cuts through all of them identically.  Be nice fast way to make 5 or so gaskets - we'd just have to figure out what thickness to run.

I've never heard it used for exhaust - but if it's used as head gasktet material it should hold up to the exhaust as well.

If there's interest I'll see if I can price it out...

Rabin

If you wouldn't mind, could you get some pricing? I have 1 new OEM exh mani gasket which i can trace and measure, or send away for a few weeks as long as they don't damage it.. :)

I'll make some calls tomorrow if I can find enough time. My buddy loves the water jet place and I've seen their work. It's amazingly smooth. I'll give him a call and find out what's involved. Can anyone recommend a thickness of copper we should use?

I have used gaskets, as well as the units themselves (Manifolds, heads etc.) should I need them. If they prefer/recommend new gaskets then I'll let you know.

As for intake - any paper gasket material should work for that should it not? (The V6's have rubber o-rings for the intake - nice design and super easy to use/replace when needed.)

I'm not sure I'd trust scanned images for the pattern. Drafted and dimensioned drawings maybe - but from what I understand they use a CNC cutter that can be programmed to scan the part, then it duplicates it to scale with perfect results.

Rabin

I made a tracing of the intake manifold gasket as well... since these things are getting hard to find i wonder if we should scan them into the computer and save a to-scale copy as a big image or something, we could store it here on the site.  Just in case....

That's exactly what I've been planning to do for a long time and it works, did it with lower timing cover about a year ago. ;-) Here's the message is sent to Peugeot-L in April:

On Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:40 AM,

Toni Lindroos <tonilind.ml [ at ] nic.fi> wrote:

>> Message: 9

>>   Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:28:31 -0700

>>   From: august <august [ at ] [email protected]>

>> Subject: N9Txx intake manifold gasket

>>

>> Does anyone know who may still have some intake manifold gaskets

>> available? Disortex, Dubarr, and western hemispheres are all back

>> ordered.

>

> Hi,

>

> if you are in a hurry, you can make your own gaskets easily. ;-) Scan

> your old gasket to your computer, do some image processing and

> finally print it. If you print it on a normal copy paper, you can use

> that as a model to cut the final gasket from a piece of gasket paper.

> Or you can also print it directly to a gasket paper and just cut it

> out. It's also possible to scan the surface of the part that's needs

> a gasket if you don't have the old gasket anymore or it's too ragged.

> A limiting factor is the size of the part and your scanner.

>

> Just find some suitable gasket paper. I've done some gaskets with this

> method when I've been unable to locate new gaskets in time. Of course

> you can also do your own gaskets without a computer.

>

> I can scan Peugeot's original intake manifold gasket and send a ready

> to print image to you if you wan't to try it. The intake manifold

> gasket is longer than the scanning area of my A4 size scanner and

> printing it requires a longer paper too but it can be cut to two or

> four pieces without trouble.

>

> But if you can find and wait for a factory made gasket you should

> probably do that. After all it shouldn't cost more than a few dollars.

>

> You could probably also put it together without a gasket and use some

> suitable sealing compound instead? Someone with more knowledge could

> tell us if it's a good idea and recommend some compounds.

Can anyone recommend a thickness of copper we should use?

I think it should be about the same than the original is, maybe what's the thickness of a used gasket + something. Those non-turbo gaskets I used were too thin and I had to use two of them before the exhaust manifold was sitting properly without waving... I don't remember if it was the guiding liner or those larger rings that were supporting the manifold so that it was waving if I didn't put two gaskets. It might be a good idea to test it first before ordering a large amount of gaskets. ;-)

Would it be possible to use those copper gaskets more than one time?

As for intake - any paper gasket material should work for that should it not?  (The V6's have rubber o-rings for the intake - nice design and super easy to use/replace when needed.)

That sounds like a great idea? Wouldn't cost too much to cut grooves to the intake manifold?

Thickness could get a little tricky with those extra donuts that peugeot puts in the manifold. Like Toni said, if it's too thin those may interfere with gasket sealing. Of course you don't want it super thick either. I suppose you could just try it the same thickness as oem and hope that they don't crush much more. Besides what is oem made out of? It seems to have multiple layers, some of which look like copper and maybe a stainless layer? Haven't paid much attention to them. I doubt it'll be a big issue as long as the thickness is reasonably close to oem.

We could get a thickness measurement on a new oem gasket, and then get one on a 'used' gasket (i have a used one i can measure). Then we'll have a rough range of operation.

Maybe the shop will have your answer?

Oh man, o-rings on the intake manifold sounds like a pretty cool idea. Although i'm hoping i never have to take the thing off again... or maybe just until i make my own intake manifold? what? HAHA.

Exhaust gasket thickness: Copper won't crush, or it will crush very little, so I think we should go with as close to the used thickness as we can and if there's a tolerance we should favor the thicker guage.

Copper can definitely be re-used - apparently the copper needs to be annealed before reusing - but it can be done with a high temp oven or with a torch if done carefully.

The trick with copper is a special coating that is applied to it before use - it's this coating that gives the copper it's sealing properties. Can't remeber offhand - but a buddy had some made for his Subaru and he's had no issues. They were made by Paeco Industries (sp?) and the looked aweful! I could have done better with a jigsaw and a freehand drawing of the gasket - but it worked... I'm thinking if we get it done right with a water jet cutter - then we should have no issues whatsoever.

Rabin...