And it randomly runs perfectly?

So after last week where the pug ran like a turd ball and wouldnt start without using some gas, I let it sit and neglected it for a few days. Went to crank it today and it fired up no problem and it runs much much smoother than It has previously. Inbetween then and now I havent done anything but charge the battery. Might it be possible the car wasn't getting enough voltage?

Either way it sounds quieter, runs smoother and the turbo got louder. My only issue is the foam insulation on the firewall is deteriorating and lays against the block, so when the engine hits operating temperature it smokes and smells like burning plastic.

Bleeding brakes sunday and going for a ride :-D

As a turbo man from modern tuning circles and a young buck (making an assumption there), you should of course know that debugging any system requires isolation of parameters. Could it be the cause? Maybe? Sure, why not. Anyway, you have to pretty much go through the car piece by piece. There may be one item that's causing your issues, but with an old neglected car, you KNOW there are a dozen waiting right behind this. Maybe they won't show up until you're exercising the system regularly. Maybe one will manifest itself right after you actually fix a voltage issue - your new bug won't stand up and say, "I'm a new one." You might incorrectly assume there's still a voltage issue.

In any event, the best thing to do is make your best guess and what system is weakest on the car and then ATTACK that system. If it's power you suspect, great, fix the primary power distribution wiring loom (it sucked from the factory), get the battery mounting issue properly sorted out, run Monster cables (but stay away from "bling" battery terminals - they mostly all suck), rebuild alternator, etc.

Now, you know that no matter what, your power is at least as good as factory spec. Then, move on to the next system, fuel, spark, air, wiring, etc. All these systems probably are well under the performance spec of factory ship.

Surely, you can do as least as good as a bunch of Frenchmen in the 80s. :D

Not trying to rag on you, but the point here is that making a 505T run well is no different than a Supra, Z car or Daimond Star. In many cases, it's easier because all the systems are spec Bosch-L. Harder is parts availability, but for tuning to OEM spec, it's no harder.

I learned on Supras and that's how we did it and it really hasn't changed that much.

Specifically on the low voltage... Are you seeing a glowing or flickering charge light at idle? Is it throwing a diagnostic code? They will if the ECU sees too low of a voltage. What's the voltage at idle, 2K and off? You can usually put in a rat-nasty battery in a 505 and if the charging system is good, it'll run fine. However, if you have primary or grounding connection degradation, all bets are off. And that stuff is tempature/humidity sensitive that frustrates an accurate diagnosis. Also, furthering my above argument.

we already attacked the igntion system, looked into the fuel system and it has good pressure, sanded every tab and connector we could find to ensure the best electrical connection. My coolant sensor is broken (says my coolant is low and it's 100% full). Oil is in ok shape for as many miles as it has however it'll be getting an oil change within the next few days.

We many remove fuel injectors next to clean them and check. Tomorrow I'm going more into the cosmetic and cleanup department since everything could use a spot cleaning so work goes more smoothly.

Needs to be driven, This way I can test to see how the transmission is and if the turbo builds any boost. If either have issues I can look into those as well

hey!

i see you got your decals!

letsee the 505turbo one!

BLOWN * EUROS!

I think in some ways... this is true... especially if you get parts shipped from Europe... (no, not from japan, and not in some weird ass ADD accent, neither will it decimate all...)

My old Peugeot 305's alternator went south, no recharging the battery. My lights went to glowing spikes running all on the battery (it was dark, cars where honking at me) and it started to run real rough. This was a carburetted car mind you, so it didn't even need power to run the injectors. I had to keep the revs up to keep it from stalling. So yeah, a rough idle could be the battery, but also the alternator which is not providing any more power to the system. There has to be a reason for that battery to be flat (in your case most likely none-usage). In my case it was both. I'd also replace plugs and wires, that can help a bunch in some cases.

If I get the urge I may put them on tonight. I had another blowneuroz cut in carbon fiber vinyl and it looks like real carbon fiber! ( not the crap that you get thats like painted squares )

I'll take pics tomorrow, put it on the front window, its small and looks kinda classy.

I have a carbon blowneuroz sticker and I cant figure out where I want to put it, either across the top of the back window, or on the backwindow down the passenger side (from top to bottom)

so back to the car.

Drove it down the street and back today. The idle is about 500 when you put it in drive and it wants to die ( It did once when I stopped at the end of the street ). When I parked it back in my yard it idled around 1400 rpm and didn't change.

We checked the spark order and it shoudl be correct although it does seem like timing is off or something.

The coolant bubbles however when the motor stops, it still bubbles at the same rate until the coolant cools

We bled the front brakes and they hold pressure, the brakes are in bad shape though and dont stop too efficiently