505 Coilovers

Does anyone on here know any custom suspension shops?

I have heard of 505 coilovers (probably discontinued now), but I really have thought about how much they would help. I want to lower the car definately this year, but there have been many costs that have been pushing it back, and back (euro lights, new rear lsd diffy for the volvo, full Peugeot tune up kit, and now i need a new oxygen sensor for the 505 :lol: )

I have thought about cutting the coils, and if has to comedown to that, I can have them done by my friend, at a local shop.(i just dont feel safe hackin coils) :D

Who here has cut coils? I think August. But don't know anyone else.

I'm aiming for probably 1 coil all around, and slightly more in the front, for a very slight rake.

I'm just afraid of damage to the wells, etc..as the rear springs are not stiff AT ALL. When like one person sits in the back, it sags.

I love my car though, no matter what. :)

Well with turbo car, I don't know how one could beat the stock suspension. If you really want a high strung car, come drive my black 87 with ABS (and associated suspension). No lie, that car is sick. Handled better than any sedan I've driven. Even better than my Supra with the famed "double front wishbones".

My 86 has crappy tires and does dive in corners where the 87 wouldn't and the ass-end sags and touches the exhaust so that needs to be brought to stock sped. But it does handle fine.

Frankly, the suspension is one of the few areas on the 505 that needs much from the aftermarket.

Hey Rob,

Koll is right - If I were you I'd look and finding an 86' 505 Turbo in a wrecking yard, and then swap the complete front suspension with roll bar and everything. In the rear you'll need the springs and rear shocks...

Should lower the car about an inch, firmer spring rates, better damping, and it will be a very nice tuned package - way more handling than the little XN6 can use to be blunt...

Added bonus is the vented turbo brake disks that go along with it - so make sure you grab everything.

It's way cheaper than a coil over swap - and will be MUCH more friendly for a DD.

If you're set on slamming the car you may as well cut coils since it's going to handle like ass no matter what. Even if you do coil overs - you gotta put a lot of work into the right length and spring rate for it to work right - and it's not really worth the effort if you just going for the look... You also have to remember that as soon as you start putting stiffer springs in, the current damping rates will not be sufficient and the car is going to handle like crap.

HIGHLY recommend the 505 Turbo set up though man - you can't go wrong. Doing the same swap on my 76' 504 and the difference the 505 Turbo front end made was staggering.

Rabin